Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5224
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Juice Box getting closer..." 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Jan-20-07 03:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5224, "Juice Box getting closer..."

Thought I might as well post an update in here on my Galant.

In about two hours, I'll be sneakig it up to the north side of Phoenix where a couple rally buddies have a shop with a, get this, lift. I'm trading my Zeitronix wideband for a 2.5" catback, a boost gauge, and assistance in doing the following (with any replacement parts part of the deal):

-remove/replace dead O2 sensor stuck in housing, re-wire connectors
-mount AC bracket to engine and bolt up compressor
-replace two broken studs on front left hub
-set base timing
-install breather fitting for valve cover (it's just a hole right now)
-adjust the low-engaging clutch pedal

When all is said and done, I should only have to replace the windshield before I can drive down and pass inspection and smog before I can get tags for it and drive it all the time. Wish me luck! This should be pretty cool. I think I'll even bring my old Alpine along and see if we can't get it installed. LOL.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
Moderator992gntJan-20-07 07:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5225, "RE: Juice Box getting closer..."
In response to Reply # 0

Sweet! Make sure you follow up with plenty of pics!

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD
'88 Chrysler Conquest TSI

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Moderatorcs82685Jan-20-07 07:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#5226, "RE: Juice Box getting closer..."
In response to Reply # 1

Nice, good to hear. x2 on the pics

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-20-07 10:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5227, "RE: Juice Box getting closer..."
In response to Reply # 2

Been a long time coming...

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

TeamDR1665Jan-21-07 05:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#5228, "RE: Juice Box getting closer..."
In response to Reply # 3

I'll see if I can't get some pics of the car tomorrow sometime. The Juice Box spent a good ten hours on a lift yesterday. Here's what actually went down...

Replaced lower ball joint and outer tie rod end on drivers front corner. Passenger front lower ball joint is shot to hell, but I had to drop an unexpected $60 to put the one side back together after we took it apart. Also on this corner, we pressed the ABS ring off the hub and replaced two broken wheel studs and one sketchy stud with bits off another rally Galant. At this point, I'm sporting 16 lugs on the car. Saftey is a cool feeling.

Power steering belt was installed. Went to start wrapping up the AC compressor, but realized I didn't have the tensioner for that belt in the trunk like I thought. It's still sitting on the k-member.

We cut the stock exhaust off at the end of the after-cat resonator and welded up a 2.5" ID, press-bent "cat back." The piping was done by Ray at his shop (Ray Peters has a twin-charged 1G TSi AWD with an 18G and an M62, FYI) and it's got a decent looking 3A Racing muffler on the end of it. It's pointing straight and sits just under the rear valance. No ghey fart cannon sticking out the ass end of this car! The sound is deep and mellow and it *feels* like it breathes a bit easier now.

We tested the O2 sensor and found it to be shot, so Ray gave me the relatively new narrowband out of his twin-charged TSi since all this was in trade for a wideband. It's not the spec sensor, but it's really fast about heating up. From a cold start, this O2 sensor goes into closed loop inside of about one minute. Pretty cool.

Still running a tank of gas which is about 25% shit gas from the car sitting all that time, timing came in to be just a hair advanced over the basic proceedure and there was only a tiny bit of knock on the logger just as the turbo was beginning to come online, so we called timing a done deal and locked the CAS down.

I replaced the chewed up center armrest console with a good one I bought months ago and replaced the stock shift knob with the infamous horsecock shift knob from the 1G parts car. Anyone who's ever driven a Galant can attest to just how far one has to reach to get into 1-3-5. Adding a couple inches to the shift lever makes shifting much more natural feeling.

Speaking of transmission-related issues, we checked and I didn't get lucky with a 3-bolt LSD rear diff, GalantVR4.org database admin advised the transfer case recall has *not* been done, and she's a bit notchy going into first and second. Otherwise, aside from a low(er) engaging clutch pedal (we took a wire brush on a drill to the flywheel during assembly because I was broke and cheap), there's nothing I don't suspect some Synchroshift and Redline gear oil wouldn't help.

Only CEL I had when I got there was from that O2 sensor being disconnected. ABS warning light is on, but that's to be expected when you hack out the ABS box. The seeping from one of my hacked up brake lines is obvious (when seen in good light) from my cross-threading one of the nuts into the t-fitting. Brakes still stop strong, so it's a project for another day.

4WS is working fine. I can't tell when it engages or not. Warning light is not illuminated. Whatever.

We removed the headlights and epoxied over the broken parts. Then I used a bunch of washers to adjust the light pattern down to a useable result. Also replaced the four bulbs in the front parking lights. Very cool set up, I must say, with the copper traces from the bulb on the harness to the second bulbs in each housing.

Trim piece between headlights and bumper skin was installed. Ray has a tower about six foot tall full of all stainless nuts, bolts, and hardware. It's almost a shame to hide them behind a ratty bumper.

I got a boost gauge out of the deal, but it's a tacky $15 Sunpro from Autozone. Will it work? Yes. Do I like it? Not really. Will I actually use it? Dunno yet.

We discovered that my radiator has a slight crack at the top next to the radiator cap and the puller fan on the inside of the bay is siezed up, resulting in blown fusible links and overheating when stuck in traffic. I added half a bottle of Bars Leaks to the radiator tonight and drove around a bit. Due to the colder weather we've had this weekend, temps stayed level and I think the leak is fixed. Still need to source another fan, though.

I've got a TEL radiator in the garage, but the fans were tossed when I moved out. I'm pretty sure they were both melted up good. I plan on installing the TEL radiator later this spring when I install the SRT4 FMIC I've got next to it.

I love the way the turbo feels, but the car doesn't really seem faster than Daisy at all. The power delivery is different between the two engines and I can already spot how the 14b runs out of steam above 5000rpm. I'm hoping some portwork on the spare intake manifold, O2 housing, throttle body elbow, and stuff I've got lying around will help things improve.

In any case, next up is making the vac line deletions look factory stock, replacing the cracked up windshield, and getting this turkey tagged for daily driving while Daisy goes into the garage for some TLC. We might put Vanessa behind the wheel of Daisy for a couple weeks while we do some mods to her Isuzu Amigo 4x4, but Daisy is destined for some quality time in the garage for most of this spring. She needs it, too.

I'll see about getting some pics up tomorrow. Thanks for the support.

Oh yeah, and I also installed an old Alpine CD player in the car so I could stop singing that stupid song from the Kia commercial in my head everywhere I go. Too bad there's not brackets to hold the deck in place in the dash. (Everything is going to be an issue. I can already tell.)

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-21-07 06:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5229, "RE: Juice Box getting closer..."
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by DR1665 (Everything is going to be an issue. I can already tell.)

But that's what makes it so much fun.

Sounds like you really made some progress. Glad to hear it.

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

TeamDR1665Jan-22-07 03:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#5230, "RE: Juice Box getting closer..."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Sounds like you really made some progress. Glad to hear it.

Thanks! In about an hour, I'll be driving the Galant to work for the first time. Pretty cool.

kain_99gsJan-22-07 03:49 AM
Member since May 04th 2004
536 posts,
#5231, "RE: Juice Box getting closer..."
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by DR1665At this point, I'm sporting 16 lugs on the car. Saftey is a cool feeling.

Do you plan on doing the 5-lug upgrade in the future?

Originally posted by DR1665
and replaced the stock shift knob with the infamous horsecock shift knob from the 1G parts car.

Not sure as to the advantages but some guy on the galantvr4.org forums makes a special shift knob. It is like all white and I believe it is weighted or something. I remember seeing them when I was over there. Might be something to look towards instead of groping Mr. Ed.

Originally posted by DR1665...Lights and stuff...

If the vr-4 uses 9006 bulbs for lowbeams you could always do this mod for that extra lighting

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/More_light.htm

Do you plan on getting some kind of light rack eventually, or are you just gonna rally her during the day?

Originally posted by DR1665and I can already spot how the 14b runs out of steam above 5000rpm.

About how much boost is that supposed to be putting down? Do you have plans to increase it, or do you have to stay within specs for rally?

Originally posted by DR1665Oh yeah, and I also installed an old Alpine CD player in the car so I could stop singing that stupid song from the Kia commercial in my head everywhere I go. Too bad there's not brackets to hold the deck in place in the dash.

Uh oh. Let's hope if it get's stolen they break through the windshield to get it since you are going to replace that anyways.

Originally posted by DR1665 (Everything is going to be an issue. I can already tell.)

And that's why we love em. It gives us something to do. Good luck with everything man.

http://talontimes.blogspot.com
99gs
95TSI

Moderator992gntJan-22-07 04:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#5232, "RE: Juice Box getting closer..."
In response to Reply # 7

Great news Brian. One note for future reference though - never put "horsecock" and "natural feeling" in the same paragraph. Kinda creeped me out.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD
'88 Chrysler Conquest TSI

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-22-07 08:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5233, "RE: Juice Box getting closer..."
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by 992gnt
Great news Brian. One note for future reference though - never put "horsecock" and "natural feeling" in the same paragraph. Kinda creeped me out.

BWAHAHAHA. I guess you don't know Brian then... lol

TeamDR1665Jan-22-07 10:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#5234, "RE: Juice Box getting closer..."
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by kain_99gs
Do you plan on doing the 5-lug upgrade in the future?

Nope. Sticking with the 4-lug so I can share parts with the other GVR4 rally cars at events in the future. If I lose a wheel, for example, I have a better chance of finding a spare at service.

Not sure as to the advantages but some guy on the galantvr4.org forums makes a special shift knob. It is like all white and I believe it is weighted or something. I remember seeing them when I was over there. Might be something to look towards instead of groping Mr. Ed.

Heh. I saw that. Given this is a stock trans with a little, shall we say, personality, I would prefer to not have any extra weight which might force something. The 1G shift knob looks a bit funny at first, but this car is all about form following function. Maybe, when i raise the shifter assy a couple inches up off the floor, I'll go back to the stocker or something.

If the vr-4 uses 9006 bulbs for lowbeams you could always do this mod for that extra lighting http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/More_light.htm Do you plan on getting some kind of light rack eventually, or are you just gonna rally her during the day?

I plan on checking out that link later this afternoon, but for the time being, I need to track down some replacement headlights, as these are a bit ghetto for my liking. Sure, they've been epoxied and more or less aligned, but one of them has the low beam taped in because one of the previous owners did something fucked up.

A light pod will show up eventually. I don't plan on doing too many night rallycrosses in the next year, so I think a nice set of cheap fog lights will work just fine. I do have, however, a pair of decent Isuzu Amigo headlights (9007s for high/low beam in one housing) which I intend to play with for a while. They might make a nice set of homebrew lights.

About how much boost is that supposed to be putting down? Do you have plans to increase it, or do you have to stay within specs for rally?

I have no idea what stock boost is. Galants have an even more useless boost gauge than DSMs do. Six LEDs under the tach. Three for vac and three for boost. I love me some blinky lights, but this is pretty much useless, imo.

I got that Sunpro boost gauge, but I don't think I'll install it. For me, running any particular boost pressure isn't an issue. I could give a shit. I plan on following the basic free mods and 1G DSM staged upgrade path. I'm going to get as much power out of this thing as I can on the cheap.

I plan on bolting up my SRT4 FMIC and some hard pipes later this year, but a turbo upgrade will be a serious decsion, since rally cars have to run a 32mm restrictor plate. The trick will be finding a turbo which spools up quick, but does not peter out in the top end through a restrictor.

Uh oh. Let's hope if it get's stolen they break through the windshield to get it since you are going to replace that anyways.

Yeah. Although the alarm decided to work this afternoon. I guess Galants are notorious for the weaksauce alarm to just go off for no reason. The horn doesn't work on my car yet, but the alarm horn, in all it's feeble glory, seems to work just fine. I'll have to hit up the Galant board this afternoon and find the thread detailing the solution.

And that's why we love em. It gives us something to do. Good luck with everything man.

Haha. Thanks. I'm loving driving this car. It's so smooth and quiet and all that. For a beat ass rally car wannabe, it's very nice to drive.

Originally posted by 992gnt

Oh yeah. I knew I would catch hell for that. Leave it to car guys to make it so that you have to be very careful when talking about shift knobs. You can't say you want a taller or shorter knob, or even a shiny black knob. It all turns into HEF outright.

Originally posted by eclipzGST
BWAHAHAHA. I guess you don't know Brian then... lol

Nope. Not in that full, carnal way that you wish you did, ya fruit.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5224 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic