Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7912
View in threaded mode

Subject: "What a DIFFERENCE WOW!!!!" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
amljbsSep-13-05 02:28 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7912, "What a DIFFERENCE WOW!!!!"

I installed the upper and lower Intercooler hard pipes today along with the 1G BOV. All I can say is holy shit the car really goes now. Seems to spool faster and when it does its so nice .

Took a little longer than I estimated but still pretty quick about 1 1/2 hours to install. Only problem I had was the lower IC pipe to the turbo was much bigger than the port on the turbo but was able to clamp the connector down tight to match it.

1998 Eclipse GST

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-13-05 03:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7913, "RE: What a DIFFERENCE WOW!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by amljbs
Only problem I had was the lower IC pipe to the turbo was much bigger than the port on the turbo but was able to clamp the connector down tight to match it.

Do a boost leak test just to make sure you got it sealed and not just tight.
IC piping was a nice difference for me as well.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

amljbsSep-13-05 04:04 PM
587 posts,
#7914, "RE: What a DIFFERENCE WOW!!!!"
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-13-05 04:08 PM by amljbs

I think its ok its holding boost perfectly now. No more leaking BOV . I may test it anyways though.

I think that if I had done this before removing the cat I would have thought it was the straight pipe that made a world of difference guess its all in the order you do stuff.

1998 Eclipse GST

ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-13-05 05:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#7915, "RE: What a DIFFERENCE WOW!!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by amljbs
I think its ok its holding boost perfectly now. No more leaking BOV . I may test it anyways though. I think that if I had done this before removing the cat I would have thought it was the straight pipe that made a world of difference guess its all in the order you do stuff.

I'm sure the straight pipe is a big part of it but you can only push out as much as you take in. Since the UICP was a bottleneck and the BOV was leaking, the test pipe was virtually doing nothing at that point.
Now that you are pushing more boost through smoother pipe transitions the test pipe is allowing the exaust to get out that much faster.
I'm curious just how much of a difference it made. Throw your cat back on for a few days and then go back to the test pipe and report back to us.

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

97eclipse97Sep-19-05 06:03 PM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#7916, "RE: What a DIFFERENCE WOW!!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by amljbs I think its ok its holding boost perfectly now. No more leaking BOV . I may test it anyways though. I think that if I had done this before removing the cat I would have thought it was the straight pipe that made a world of difference guess its all in the order you do stuff.
I'm sure the straight pipe is a big part of it but you can only push out as much as you take in. Since the UICP was a bottleneck and the BOV was leaking, the test pipe was virtually doing nothing at that point. Now that you are pushing more boost through smoother pipe transitions the test pipe is allowing the exaust to get out that much faster. I'm curious just how much of a difference it made. Throw your cat back on for a few days and then go back to the test pipe and report back to us.

Did you listen to Uncle Tony and put the cat back on? I would like to know the results as well.

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-19-05 06:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#7917, "RE: What a DIFFERENCE WOW!!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by 97eclipse97
Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by amljbs I think its ok its holding boost perfectly now. No more leaking BOV . I may test it anyways though. I think that if I had done this before removing the cat I would have thought it was the straight pipe that made a world of difference guess its all in the order you do stuff.
I'm sure the straight pipe is a big part of it but you can only push out as much as you take in. Since the UICP was a bottleneck and the BOV was leaking, the test pipe was virtually doing nothing at that point. Now that you are pushing more boost through smoother pipe transitions the test pipe is allowing the exaust to get out that much faster. I'm curious just how much of a difference it made. Throw your cat back on for a few days and then go back to the test pipe and report back to us.
Did you listen to Uncle Tony and put the cat back on? I would like to know the results as well.

Actually, I was just messing with him but I still have stock DP and cat and also would be VERY interested with the results if he had time/ambition to do the swaps.

amljbsSep-20-05 05:50 PM
587 posts,
#7918, "RE: What a DIFFERENCE WOW!!!!"
In response to Reply # 5
Sep-20-05 05:53 PM by amljbs

Over the weekend my brother in law and I were redoing the suspension on his prelude and decided to swap it. It made all the difference. Taking it out felt like before the IC pipes. Its the combo that does it.

1998 Eclipse GST

eclipse_gs_1512Sep-22-05 03:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
#7919, "RE: What a DIFFERENCE WOW!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

damn, this thread makes me want to upgrade all my ic and intake piping

2007 wrx

BMPDirkSep-22-05 11:31 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
#7920, "RE: What a DIFFERENCE WOW!!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

from the title i was expecting a new turbo or something, hehe. It's funny, i remember bolt ons felt like such a difference back when i was on the stock turbo....but once i upgraded the turbo..."What a DIFFERENCE WOW!!!!" IC pipes with 1g bov is a great combination. What other mods do you have?

Tony - Why are you still on stock dp/cat? You can get one of those megan racing Dp's(bypasses the cat) for like 100 bucks. I had one before combined with a 3inch thermal catback and it worked great, but it was too loud for me so i went with the buschur dp and high flow cat. Now i actually have an RS*R exhaust which is SUPER quiet, so i might throw on the test pipe i have laying around, just to see what kind of difference i get. Im just affraid of getting boost creep.

ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-22-05 12:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#7921, "RE: What a DIFFERENCE WOW!!!!"
In response to Reply # 8
Sep-22-05 12:38 PM by eclipzGST

Originally posted by BMPDirk
Tony - Why are you still on stock dp/cat? You can get one of those megan racing Dp's(bypasses the cat) for like 100 bucks. I had one before combined with a 3inch thermal catback and it worked great, but it was too loud for me so i went with the buschur dp and high flow cat. Now i actually have an RS*R exhaust which is SUPER quiet, so i might throw on the test pipe i have laying around, just to see what kind of difference i get. Im just affraid of getting boost creep.

I promised my wife I'd take it easy on the car mods until some bills are paid off. After talking about an EVO, she started to look closer at the balances on the CC's.
edit: I also need to do some serious porting before opening my exaust any. I creep now but it's not so bad that I have to worry. My little RC 550's and rewired 190 seem to be keeping up rather well to my 21 psi creep.

FlyinEsiSep-22-05 01:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#7922, "RE: What a DIFFERENCE WOW!!!!"
In response to Reply # 9
Sep-22-05 01:20 PM by FlyinEsi

I have a full 3" megan racing downpipe in my garage I would get rid of for $110 shipped.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7912 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic