Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7680
View in threaded mode

Subject: "7-bolt stroker kits reduce crankwalk??" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
FlyinEsiDec-04-05 08:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7680, "7-bolt stroker kits reduce crankwalk??"

I have never heard anything about this, but would a 7bolt stroker kit with new crank and rod bearings and everything help reduce the chances of crankwalk? or would they still be the same?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
destruckeclipseDec-04-05 08:40 AM
Member since Apr 26th 2004
576 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7681, "RE: 7-bolt stroker kits reduce crankwalk??"
In response to Reply # 0

I've researched a little on crank walk fixes a while ago. From what I read, it seems this and the "fix" that some places offer have never worked, maybe stretched it's life but not completely stopped it. I would just suggest if you are going to build it, might as well use a 6 bolt and have the piece of mind it won't walk on you.

'95 GSX - Big16G ~ Leaks, but atleast it runs.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

FlyinEsiDec-04-05 10:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#7682, "RE: 7-bolt stroker kits reduce crankwalk??"
In response to Reply # 1

I wouldn't mind doing the 6 bolt swap, I just don't want to buy the 6 bolt swap kit for $1500 on top of a block and all that I already have.

destruckeclipseDec-04-05 11:04 AM
576 posts,
#7683, "RE: 7-bolt stroker kits reduce crankwalk??"
In response to Reply # 2
Dec-04-05 11:05 AM by destruckeclipse

What kit are you talking about? It's always possible to sell the parts you have to make back on the 6 bolt expenses.

BigBaldDec-04-05 01:30 PM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#7684, "RE: 7-bolt stroker kits reduce crankwalk??"
In response to Reply # 3

no...strokers have walked also.....

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

97eclipse97Dec-05-05 05:54 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#7685, "RE: 7-bolt stroker kits reduce crankwalk??"
In response to Reply # 4

The recommendation is to NEVER build a 7-bolt block (stroker or not). Why spend all that money when there is no guarantee the crank won't walk even 100 miles after? The only real 'fix' to cw is to do the 6-bolt swap (although they can walk too, just the chances of that happening are miniscule).

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

FlyinEsiDec-05-05 07:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#7686, "RE: 7-bolt stroker kits reduce crankwalk??"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by BigBald
no...strokers have walked also.....

Shit. Thanks guys!

Pitchblack98Dec-05-05 09:41 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
#7687, "RE: 7-bolt stroker kits reduce crankwalk??"
In response to Reply # 6

Here something you can maybe try... Theres a DSM shop in Colorado Springs. JackIAT claims hes fixed the crankwalk problem and is doing it with a lifetime guarantee. Might be something to look into. Jack has always been great to me. He did some work on my old 1g and didnt charge for it. Hes also built a lot of trannies for some of the rmdsm bunch and they are happy with them. Check it out and do some research. Not saying he can fix it, but I will say hes a great guy.

http://www.rmdsm.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5273

Vandy420aDec-05-05 03:13 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#7688, "RE: 7-bolt stroker kits reduce crankwalk??"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by destruckeclipse
What kit are you talking about? It's always possible to sell the parts you have to make back on the 6 bolt expenses.

have you seen what 7 bolts go for vs. 6 bolts...it would help, but it definitely not going to cover everything.

Honestly though dan, if I were you i'd just do the 6 bolt swap, but i'm waiting for jeff to chime in and say "why are you worried?!?". As far as I can tell, either argument is valid. If your block is stout, friggin build it--extra bolt or not!!

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

destruckeclipseDec-07-05 05:38 AM
576 posts,
#7689, "RE: 7-bolt stroker kits reduce crankwalk??"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by Vandy420a
Originally posted by destruckeclipse What kit are you talking about? It's always possible to sell the parts you have to make back on the 6 bolt expenses.
have you seen what 7 bolts go for vs. 6 bolts...it would help, but it definitely not going to cover everything. Honestly though dan, if I were you i'd just do the 6 bolt swap, but i'm waiting for jeff to chime in and say "why are you worried?!?". As far as I can tell, either argument is valid. If your block is stout, friggin build it--extra bolt or not!!

I know, but atleast it would be money back in your pocket!

DSMxTSiDec-05-05 10:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
217 posts,
#7690, "RE: 7-bolt stroker kits reduce crankwalk??"
In response to Reply # 0

How many miles are on your 7 bolt? Although it would still be safer to do the 6 bolt swap I'd say if your 7 bolt has over 100K on it then it *should* be ok. Most all 7 bolts 'walk within the 30K-60K range.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7680 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic