Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12352
View in threaded mode

Subject: "stalling" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
EvMan2345Nov-10-03 05:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12352, "stalling"

my 90 GSX has been stalling alot lately. Ill start it up after driving it for a while and it'll die unless i give it gas. Then sometimes after i stop at a light the rpms will just drop straight down and the car will die. any ideas where to start to look? there seems to be no leaks anywhere.

Evan B
97 GS
90 GSX
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
TeamJeff_99gsNov-10-03 05:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12353, "RE: stalling"
In response to Reply # 0

BISS! Check the little hole on top of the throttle body.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTNov-10-03 05:51 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12354, "RE: stalling"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi Jeff. Nice of you to join us.

-Tony
98'GST
92'TSI-AWD

eclipzgst@charter.net
http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM

"...don't make me photoshop your pants so high that your undies start going over your head, think of it as a kaptainmyke wedgie if you will" -Kap'n Myke

BigBaldNov-11-03 04:23 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#12355, "RE: stalling"
In response to Reply # 2

It could be a number of things.....

1. Do you do a tune up lately?
2. Have you checked your charging system ie (Altenator & Battery)?

IT usually ends up being something realted to the battery and/or the altenator. Start there and see what happens.....

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

RemyNov-11-03 04:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#12356, "RE: stalling"
In response to Reply # 3

I think u might have a bad vacuum leak somewhere. Or you might have to turn the idle up some. I dont think it Could be the alternator because then that would mean your battery must keep dying also.

Hello Mr. 12's . How are you today ?

Member # 333

BigBaldNov-11-03 05:24 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#12357, "RE: stalling"
In response to Reply # 4

yeah you are right.....Vacuum leak it is.....

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

slodsmNov-11-03 08:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
293 posts,
#12358, "RE: stalling"
In response to Reply # 5

Do you have a boost gauge? How many inches of vacuum are you showing at idle when its warm?

Gone but not forgotten.....
1998 Eagle Talon ESI, built and boosted 14.2@98
1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD12.91@104
1992 Honda Hatch swapped and sprayed14.0@108

EvMan2345Nov-11-03 11:33 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
#12359, "RE: stalling"
In response to Reply # 6

idle 18-20

Evan B
97 GS
90 GSX
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

icedoutNov-12-03 04:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3139 posts,
#12360, "RE: stalling"
In response to Reply # 7

when was the last time you checked your plugs.....also did you do the caps on the ecu yet if not do them right away.... mine (ecu) went on me when i had the 90.... had to get a new one..... also how old are your plugs..... start with the basic stuff.....

2006 WW IX MR
2003 BBY EVO VIII (sold)
256.9WHP & 277.9torque
http://s90395832.onlinehome.us/forum//index.php?sid=a70942a7f65043e6c873e12dcd300692

1998 Eclipse RS --show car--

EvMan2345Nov-13-03 05:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
#12361, "RE: stalling"
In response to Reply # 8
Nov-13-03 05:59 AM by EvMan2345

changed plugs like 3 months ago when i first got the car and they seem fine, the ECU has a small burn on it, how hard is it to change the caps, i have NO experience with electronics and boards like that...

Evan B
97 GS
90 GSX
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

ModeratoreclipzGSTNov-13-03 07:07 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12362, "RE: stalling"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by EvMan2345
changed plugs like 3 months ago when i first got the car and they seem fine, the ECU has a small burn on it, how hard is it to change the caps, i have NO experience with electronics and boards like that... Evan B 97 GS 90 GSX Stamford CT EvMan2345@aol.com

if the ECU already has a burn hole in it, I'd say it's toast. BUT, when my caps were leaking and the car was starting to stall, There was no way to stop it. Once it started to die, no matter how much I tried to keep it alive, it would shut off and I would have to wait for the ECU to reset before it would start again. I would also here a rapid clicking from the ECU.
I'm not saying that this isn't the problem but these are the symptoms I had when my caps were leaking...

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12352 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic