Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #10000
View in threaded mode

Subject: "uh-oh shiny/shimmery copper colored oil..." Previous topic | Next topic
Vandy420aAug-09-04 09:00 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10000, "uh-oh shiny/shimmery copper colored oil..."

Like I said, just did a turbo swap, first oil change with an OEM filter (prob won't use ever again) and Mobil 1 since i've had the car, just noticed copper type shavings (VERY FINE) in the oil...

What should I be looking for? The motor sounds great when I'm running it...

Hoping my karma looks up..
matt

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
TeamJeff_99gsAug-09-04 05:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10001, "RE: uh-oh shiny/shimmery copper colored oil..."
In response to Reply # 0

Was it a used turbo? How long was the car down?

There might have been some corrosion or rust in the oil passages if it is used. Change the oil and see what happens.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Vandy420aAug-09-04 06:45 PM
2037 posts,
#10002, "RE: uh-oh shiny/shimmery copper colored oil..."
In response to Reply # 1

no it was a new turbo but the car was down a month when I was at beautiful ft. lewis, WA....

hearing it may only be the oil passages is music to my ears, jeff...I was terrified it was the rod bearings, considering i'm broke, but its nice to think it could be something else!

How long should I wait to change the oil again? standard 3k?

TIA

TeamJeff_99gsAug-10-04 03:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#10003, "RE: uh-oh shiny/shimmery copper colored oil..."
In response to Reply # 2

Hmm change it right now? If there are copper flakes in the oil you should be changing the oil soon.

Vandy420aAug-10-04 06:23 AM
2037 posts,
#10004, "RE: uh-oh shiny/shimmery copper colored oil..."
In response to Reply # 3
Aug-10-04 06:25 AM by Vandy420a

yeah I did it yesterday and i'm going to do it again in a few days I think---I noticed the copper after I dumped out the crap-tacular OEM filter I had on there for the swap. I had heard they reduce lifter tick, but I think that theory is bunk...

Its probably from the car sitting for a month, considering i've never seen it in the oil before and the oil was otherwise clean.

Thanks again for your help, Jeff, I can always count on you and a select few at this board to keep me from driving my car off a cliff when somthing like this pops up... I think alot of this irrationality lately has to do with Amy and I breaking up, but i'm sure once school starts i'll get over it quickly...

TeamJeff_99gsAug-10-04 04:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#10005, "RE: uh-oh shiny/shimmery copper colored oil..."
In response to Reply # 4

I've been going through a whole lot of personal problems lately as well. One of which is having my relationship of 3 years being on the brink of disaster for the past couple months.

It is amazing though...once my Talon was running again it seemed like a lot of that went away. Sitting behind the wheel of the car as the turbo flattened me into the fabric of the seat, listening to the exhaust explode out of the dump tube and smelling all that horrible toxic exhaust/oil/coolant smell, I was finally at peace.

That and watching the modded C4 Corvette disappear in my rearview mirror helped too

You'll get there.

ModeratoreclipzGSTAug-30-04 02:52 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#10006, "RE: uh-oh shiny/shimmery copper colored oil..."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
It is amazing though...once my Talon was running again it seemed like a lot of that went away. Sitting behind the wheel of the car as the turbo flattened me into the fabric of the seat, listening to the exhaust explode out of the dump tube and smelling all that horrible toxic exhaust/oil/coolant smell, I was finally at peace.

Amen brotha!

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Vandy420aAug-30-04 03:08 PM
2037 posts,
#10007, "RE: uh-oh shiny/shimmery copper colored oil..."
In response to Reply # 6

WHOA reviving a dead post!!! Yeah I need to devote a day very soon to logging----as soon as I came to nashvegas all my settings went to hell.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #10000 Previous topic | Next topic