Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4086
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Got a new talon" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
qc dsm tsiNov-25-03 05:56 PM
Member since Jun 14th 2003
381 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4086, "Got a new talon"

Well i just picked up a 92 tsi fwd for $500. Its a friends from work, he said he was driving it about half a year ago and it cut out on the road. It has been sitting at his house since. So i picked it up. He really doesnt know anything about cars, and he just wanted it out of his yard. So i was looking at it and when i try to turn it on, the engine rotates but doesnt turn over. I tried checking the spark plugs (took off the boot and turned it on) and no spark. Any clues from u guys. If it gets to the point were it will cost a ton to fix, Im still getting my moneys worth - $400 camelion deck, and brand new tires + all the extras i can salvage for my car.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
Mr MikeNov-25-03 06:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4087, "RE: Got a new talon"
In response to Reply # 0

Did you check the timing belt? Maybe it jumped some teeth.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTNov-25-03 08:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#4088, "RE: Got a new talon"
In response to Reply # 1

no spark? Could be coil pack or ECU.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

QC DSM ESiTNov-25-03 09:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#4089, "RE: Got a new talon"
In response to Reply # 2
Nov-25-03 09:16 PM by QC DSM ESiT

I should be able to see a spark if i have the spark plug boot off, and turn the car over, right?

Ill check tomorrow and pull the timing cover off, I just took off the top timing belt cover today. Im hoping this is going to be a easy fix. Im willing to dump a couple few hundered into this.

I just realized i was under my friends screen name, sorry if this confused anyone!!!

I contributed to the wiki!

95 Eagle Talon ESi-T (BACK FROM THE DEAD!)
98 Dodge Neon R/T
93 Saab 900 Turbo Commemorative Editon #86 of 325 (sold)
95 Volkswagen GTI VR6 (saved from crusher)(sold)

Mr MikeNov-26-03 02:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#4090, "RE: Got a new talon"
In response to Reply # 3

You'll have to stick something inside the boot and ground it to see a spark.

Hult250RNov-26-03 11:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#4091, "RE: Got a new talon"
In response to Reply # 4

hey QC DSM ESI-T Im from Davenport too, remember me?
shoot me an email Ill come over and check it out maybe I can figure out whats up with it
what color is the car?
I just picked up a 92 TSI AWD that the timing belt broke on, put new valves and timing belt on her and shes like new again!
~Luke

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

qc dsm tsiNov-26-03 01:25 PM
Member since Jun 14th 2003
381 posts,
#4092, "RE: Got a new talon"
In response to Reply # 5

Hult250R email sent

Hult250RNov-28-03 05:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#4093, "RE: Got a new talon"
In response to Reply # 6

well guys i went to Qc Dsm Tsi's house today...
Its geting spark, the ECU is normal, no codes...
but the timing belt is rubbing somewhere, its like 1/8-1/4 inch narrower than it should be and theres rubber filings from the belt around it. think it skipped a tooth?
It turns over, I cant hear valves hitting pistons...
I couldnt check to see if timing marks lined up, all the covers were on.
Any ideas??
~Luke

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

QC DSM ESiTNov-29-03 07:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#4094, "RE: Got a new talon"
In response to Reply # 7
Nov-29-03 07:39 PM by QC DSM ESiT

hey luke, i took the timing belt cover and found out the problem, the balance shaft belt was broke. It was rubbing against the timing belt, which i assume would cause it not to crank at the proper sound. The timing looked like it was ok, but i just kinda glanced at it.
Will have more updates

:edit, this is qc dsm tsi, sorry about the confusion

I contributed to the wiki!

95 Eagle Talon ESi-T (BACK FROM THE DEAD!)
98 Dodge Neon R/T
93 Saab 900 Turbo Commemorative Editon #86 of 325 (sold)
95 Volkswagen GTI VR6 (saved from crusher)(sold)

Diceman19Nov-30-03 03:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#4095, "RE: Got a new talon"
In response to Reply # 8

when you put that balance shaft belt back on make sure you get the shaft in the correct phase or your engine will go nutso with the shakes. another option would be to remove the balance shafts, it will improve reliability. i would love to do it, but i had to leave it in based on the fact that i didnt have time to take them out because i need this car for the snow. (AWD Ownz Joo) good luck.

babybeclipseDec-07-03 02:15 PM
Member since Mar 01st 2002
3083 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4096, "RE: Got a new talon"
In response to Reply # 9

Did you get it running yet?

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4086 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic