Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4079
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Anyone have problems puting their 1G in reverse?" Previous topic | Next topic
esseclipseDec-10-03 02:34 PM
Member since Aug 09th 2002
682 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4079, "Anyone have problems puting their 1G in reverse?"

I have a 92 GSX I have a 2G shift knob on it. My question is does anyone have trouble puting their car in reverse....I am almost positive it has nothing to do with the trans or clutch. I have a new clutch in the car but I had the same problem beforeI think it may have something to do with the shifter linkage?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
thedawgDec-10-03 03:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4080, "RE: Anyone have problems puting their 1G in reverse?"
In response to Reply # 0

My reverse is hard to get into on both my 1G's. I suspect the synchros are dead. However on both, if I shift into 5th and then drop to neutral, then immediately shift into reverse, I get no grind.

Sometimes it will drop down halfway, and I have to let the clutch out a little for the gears to drop the shifter all the way down into gear.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Diceman19Dec-10-03 03:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#4081, "RE: Anyone have problems puting their 1G in reverse?"
In response to Reply # 1

yep, if i am in neutral, sometimes the shifter will not "catch" the reverse gear. just let out your clutch a few hairs and it should catch. dont rev while letting the clutch though, it wont catch and you will have the honduh buzz. my 2g does it sometimes too. PITA i know but not worth fixing. not a huge inconvenience IMO. you should not able to shift straight from 5th to reverse. there is a safety feature that is supposed to block you from doing it. kinda like a 6 speed, you have to push down on the shifter knob to get it to slide into reverse.....ask etx about his 350z 6 speed, when i test drove one, i had one heck of a time trying to find reverse. the salesman didnt even know where it was....

Hult250RDec-10-03 04:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#4082, "RE: Anyone have problems puting their 1G in reverse?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by thedawg
My reverse is hard to get into on both my 1G's. I suspect the synchros are dead. However on both, if I shift into 5th and then drop to neutral, then immediately shift into reverse, I get no grind. Sometimes it will drop down halfway, and I have to let the clutch out a little for the gears to drop the shifter all the way down into gear.

My 92 TSI AWD is the exact same way...

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

esseclipseDec-11-03 01:34 PM
Member since Aug 09th 2002
682 posts,
#4083, "RE: Anyone have problems puting their 1G in reverse?"
In response to Reply # 3

I do not get any grinding at all. It is just difficult to put it in reverse. Seems to me like it is something with the shifter linkage and nothing to do with the trans.

TeamJeff_99gsDec-11-03 02:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#4084, "RE: Anyone have problems puting their 1G in reverse?"
In response to Reply # 4

There is no reverse synchro as far as I know. (would you want one when downshifting to 4th gear at 50mph?)
It is probably the shifter linkage. Reverse is always a pain in 1G's.

BigBaldDec-12-03 09:24 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2715 posts,
#4085, "RE: Anyone have problems puting their 1G in reverse?"
In response to Reply # 5

well it is a pain in my 2g also...so is first gear for that matter.....

1995 GST - Who the hell knows

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4079 Previous topic | Next topic