Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9206
View in threaded mode

Subject: "First Mod, help me out..." 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
98eclipseGSXDec-31-04 08:53 PM
Member since Dec 29th 2004
18 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9206, "First Mod, help me out..."

Hey I just got my first car, '98 GSX A/T. Since I'm new to tuning, I was wondering what I should go with for my first mod. I was thinking either a manual boost controller, or shift kit. BTW, I dont want to spend much more than $200 for now.

White '98 Eclipse GSX

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
Ryan_HesDec-31-04 11:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9207, "RE: First Mod, help me out..."
In response to Reply # 0

Turbo back exhaust, then MBC and set it to 16 psi for the T25 turbo. After about 16psi it maxes out and just blows hot air. Then upgrade your IC piping and intercooler. This will exceed 200 dollars but its is the way to go. Im drunk but its new years so its ok...but yea....thats what you do.

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ForceFedJan-01-05 12:15 AM
Member since Oct 09th 2003
153 posts,
#9208, "RE: First Mod, help me out..."
In response to Reply # 0

For 200 dollars, hmm...let me see, 200 hundred dollars, what's out there that's for 200 hundred dollars...hmmm...a cat back is more than two hundred dollars, Get a tubular turbo header. Check out eBay.

When is the money spending going to stop on this fucking car?!

420a-TnthewerksJan-01-05 01:03 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#9209, "RE: First Mod, help me out..."
In response to Reply # 2

you should go to the 1g/4g63 section. firts mod(s) to get you started, probably a k&n fipk (filter) and a boost gauge.

ajcfalconJan-01-05 07:27 AM
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
1104 posts,
#9210, "RE: First Mod, help me out..."
In response to Reply # 3

go to www.hahnracecraft.com. They have a whole section on staged upgrades for the 4g63. Ive looked through it a couple times..... hey i can dream cant i??

Anyways, i believe ^^^ was right, i think the K&N was at the top of the list.

98eclipseGSXJan-01-05 07:41 AM
18 posts,
#9211, "RE: First Mod, help me out..."
In response to Reply # 3

thanks for the help, I'll check this stuff out.

White '98 Eclipse GSX

98eclipseGSXJan-01-05 08:15 AM
18 posts,
#9212, "RE: First Mod, help me out..."
In response to Reply # 5

I looked through the Hahn list, it says go Airfilter, Exhaust System, IC pipes and BOV, BC, then Boost Gauge. Would it hurt my engine to skip the exhaust system and IC pipes, and just go airfilter, BOV, BC, boost gauge?

The reason I'm tryin to stay cheap is bc I'm a 15 y/o without a job. In other words I'm poor.

White '98 Eclipse GSX

ajcfalconJan-01-05 08:26 AM
Member since Nov 22nd 2003
1104 posts,
#9213, "RE: First Mod, help me out..."
In response to Reply # 6

You can mod in whatever order you want, but if you add on like a 3" exhaust it will really free up the power when you turn up the boost. Its all about airflow and all of those mods will help in different ways, and some will help even more in conjunction with other mods. Which is why they are put in a certain order... its for a reason. Hahn knows what he's doing, however it is just a suggestion. You should read up on turbo's and if your going to mod your car it is a good idea to know your engine pretty well... so research can only help. Have gone over to www.dsmtuners.com or www.dsmtrader.com?

Im not trying to point you away from this site, but this site is mainly for the 420a motor and its possible that you can find more help/suggestions on this subject on a site that is based around the 4g63.

97whitESiJan-01-05 08:36 AM
Member since Mar 17th 2004
1334 posts,
#9214, "RE: First Mod, help me out..."
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by 98eclipseGSX
I looked through the Hahn list, it says go Airfilter, Exhaust System, IC pipes and BOV, BC, then Boost Gauge. Would it hurt my engine to skip the exhaust system and IC pipes, and just go airfilter, BOV, BC, boost gauge? The reason I'm tryin to stay cheap is bc I'm a 15 y/o without a job. In other words I'm poor.

then how did you get a 98 GSX?

2005 Legacy GT Ltd, Garnet Red Pearl
speak softly and spool a big turbo

98eclipseGSXJan-01-05 09:12 AM
18 posts,
#9215, "RE: First Mod, help me out..."
In response to Reply # 8

Alright, I'll check those sites out.
I got the car through my savings account, and parents chipped in.

White '98 Eclipse GSX

TeamJeff_99gsJan-01-05 12:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#9216, "RE: First Mod, help me out..."
In response to Reply # 9
Jan-02-05 11:07 AM by Jeff_99gs

Okay when modifying turbo cars the very first thing you will want to get is a boost gauge.

After you know exactly how much boost you are running you can start upgrading other areas of the car.

If you plan on running any more than 12psi, you will need an upgraded BOV and intercooler pipe. The factory plastic crap will leak after 12psi. At the same time you can get an air filter.

After that you have a variety of ways you can go. The first thing I would do is a shift kit and end clutch kit for the automatic tranny. That will make you shift much faster which is very much needed with the slushbox transmission.

Then you can work on exhaust (2.5" downpipe, 3" cat or test pipe, 3" catback), fuel control (SAFC or DSMlink), upgraded fuel pump (Walbro 255 low pressure), and the list continues. These you can do in pretty much any order you wish as long as the boost does not go over 15psi. (Not that it really matters because the stock turbo will not usually hold more than 12psi after 5,000 rpm anyway.)

Make sure to read www.vfaq.com and www.dsm.org front to back before trying to attempt ANY modifications to your turbo DSM. You will learn more there than any other single site on the net.

Edit: If you only have $200 to spend, get the shift kit. It changes the entire feel of the car forever and you will need it in the future anyway.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9206 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic