Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3777
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Car Vibration!" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
customrsturboJan-12-04 10:29 AM
Member since Oct 06th 2003
249 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3777, "Car Vibration!"

My friend has a 1997 GST. It was having some vibration problems. I check the balance shaft and the tensioner was kind of loose. I fix that and the vibration went away. Now, he is telling me that after 65mph, the car start to vibrate. Something wierd is that there is almost no space between the bottom of the engine/transmission and the black frame support that goes from the bottom radiator support to the back of the engine maybe, maybe .25 inch separation. Well, I changed the broken side engine and front engine mounts, but still the same. The other two are in good condition and there still no space between the engine/transmission and the support.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
HybriDSMJan-12-04 10:33 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3778, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 0
Jan-12-04 10:33 AM by HybriDSM

Well, I for one have noticed that both cars I have, a '91 GSX and '92 Acura Vigor get the shakes between 65 and 70 MPH (and a bit higher) on the highway. There is noticable vibration at that speed in both cars, which I think is perfectly normal. I don't have the slightest clue as to your exact situation, but vibration at speed is normal as far as I know. No problems have arisen out of either car as a result of this vibrating.

Not particularly helpful I guess but it might just be simple harmless vibration.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

customrsturboJan-12-04 10:48 AM
249 posts,
#3779, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 1

I know him like 2 years now. Since he has the car I notice, yes, a little vibration. In November 2003, he was going to west Palm Beach and in I-95 he hit a bump. His slave line broke, don't know how. He was probably at 65-75mph. Could that hit cause the support to bend and to get the shaft balance so loose? Is there anyway that I can raise the engine/transmission from the support? Because with that vibration the engine/transm. hits the support and make noise. Also, the driver side rubber cushion in the middle of the axle is loose. You can turn the rubber over the axle.
Thanks

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-12-04 01:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#3780, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by customrsturbo
Also, the driver side rubber cushion in the middle of the axle is loose. You can turn the rubber over the axle. Thanks

that would be the CV boot. If the CV boot is torn or damaged in any way, the joint will start to fail and yes, cause vibration at speed. When it gets really bad, it will click when taking corners moreso when turning the the direction opposite of the bad joint.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

customrsturboJan-12-04 02:18 PM
249 posts,
#3781, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 3

The cv joint doesn't make any noise in any direction. Looks like is fine. But I will try to make an extensive check on those. Anything else that I can check?

Thanks.

Stock Rebuild Block, Custom Turbo Kit: Custom 3" Downpipe, TEO4H Turbocharger : 10-12 psi, Starion Intercooler, Custom IC Piping, HKS By-pass, HKS AIC, (4) 330 cc extra injectors, Autometer Gauges

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-12-04 02:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#3782, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 4
Jan-12-04 02:23 PM by eclipzGST

there is an inner and an outer CV joint. I assumed you were talking about the inner one. Yes?
nice car BTW.

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

customrsturboJan-12-04 03:08 PM
249 posts,
#3783, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 5

Well, there are a total of four CV joints. All of them look OK. The rubber I am talking is the one on the longer axle. This small rubber turns around the axle instaead of being fixed to the axle. Do you know which one I'm talking about?

Oh!, Thank you.

Stock Rebuild Block, Custom Turbo Kit: Custom 3" Downpipe, TEO4H Turbocharger : 10-12 psi, Starion Intercooler, Custom IC Piping, HKS By-pass, HKS AIC, (4) 330 cc extra injectors, Autometer Gauges

TeamJeff_99gsJan-12-04 03:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#3784, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 6

Every DSM I have ever been in vibrates at 65mph. Don't worry about it. My Talon does it, Matt's GSX does it, my roommate's Talon did it, etc. They all do it. My car did it on two different sets of wheels. 65mph is the magic number. It goes away after 70-75mph right?

customrsturboJan-12-04 04:07 PM
249 posts,
#3785, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 7

I just came from a test drive! It is not as he told me. The vibration starts as soon as you step on the gas, hard acceleration. It is running great, but it is just that big vibration.It just a steady vibration. I felt it on the driver side. Also, the engine is resting on the support below. Is this like that on the GST's or there has to be a gap?

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-12-04 04:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#3786, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 8

hmmm. now that you mention it, mine makes a weird noise around 50-60 ish. Not so much a vibration you can feel, but can be heard. Comes from the passenger side front end.

TeamJeff_99gsJan-12-04 04:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#3787, "RE: Car Vibration!"
In response to Reply # 9

Wait, the engine is resting on the cross member? Look for broken engine mounts.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #3777 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic