Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7270
View in threaded mode

Subject: "upgrading inefficiant componets according to mass air flow senser." 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
sentury111Aug-02-06 07:21 PM
Member since Aug 02nd 2006
8 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7270, "upgrading inefficiant componets according to mass air flow senser."

Hi, I'm looking for information regarding the weakest components on a stock 97 turbo eclipse.We need to know the right amount of fuel/intake mods needed to maximize performance according to what the mass air flow sensor is desinged to measure. How much horse power will it measure? Is the fuel pump the weakest componet or is it the regulator or fuel rail? What is the right mods needed for the proper air/fuel ratio for the mass air flow senser to be maxed out?
For example why modify the fuel system completly if there's insufficiant air intake for it to handle or vise-versa. This will only lead to piston detonation! So I am open to any and all eduacated decisions.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
rhuiAug-03-06 06:12 AM
Member since Apr 06th 2002
262 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7271, "RE: upgrading inefficiant componets according to mass air flow senser."
In response to Reply # 0

As far as I know, people who run the stock ECU have be able to run it fine as long as you upgrade the fuel components...

You can do the fuel pump rewire, to make it run 14.4v to squeeze more out of your current fuel pump, or get a walbro 255, or supra fuel pump.

Also, if you are serious about HP, get DSM Link or something more serious so you don't have to run a MAF.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonAug-03-06 06:18 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#7272, "RE: upgrading inefficiant componets according to mass air flow senser."
In response to Reply # 1

This is mostly a non turbo site, I will move this to the 4g63 section where it should have been posted in the first place.

burntheblobsAug-03-06 06:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#7273, "RE: upgrading inefficiant componets according to mass air flow senser."
In response to Reply # 2
Aug-03-06 06:35 AM by burntheblobs

In terms of fuel, generally the fuel pump is the weakest link, followed close by injectors. A fuel pump rewire, and an upgrade (190, or 250+Aftermarket Fuel Pressure Regulator) would take care of that. Fuel injectors are ussually next but would either need to be accompanied by a datalogger and S-AFC, or DSMLink. A new fuel rail is ussually reserved for extremely high horsepower applications.

In terms of horsepower you see. That depends on WAY too many variables to ever calculate accuractely.

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - SOLD
2006 Mustang GT Convertible

T_KAug-03-06 08:39 AM
Member since Nov 03rd 2005
219 posts,
#7274, "RE: upgrading inefficiant componets according to mass air flow senser."
In response to Reply # 3

did anyone mention replacing the turbo?

www.vfaq.com for tons of info on turbo DSMs.

1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD: balance shafts, cruise & AC removed; 16psi, Dejon intake & UICP, ported 14b, EVOIII mani, ported 2G O2 housing, 2.5" Buschur dp to 3" Thermal exhaust, datalogger, front strut brace, prothane motor mounts

1995 Eclipse RS U-Boot; Tokico Illuminas, GSX front brakes, ST front swaybar, short shifter, CAI with K&N filter, rear disks and swaybar, front upper and rear lower strut braces, beater exterior

FlyinEsiAug-03-06 08:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#7275, "RE: upgrading inefficiant componets according to mass air flow senser."
In response to Reply # 4

If you are going to use the stock MAF you are not going to be able to achieve more than 500hp. That is what it is rated at because that is all the air it can flow.

To achieve that you will need.

Fuel pump - Walbro 255HP
Injectors - Probably 880's to get that high
Wideband O2 sensor
SAFC & Datalogger or DSMlink for injector tuning
Bigger turbo - Probably 50 trim or bigger
New Intake Pipe
Front Mount Intercooler
Hard Piping for the intercooler
Upgraded BOV
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Boost Controller
Wastegate (if turbo is not internally gated)
3" Exhaust - Turbo Back

Those components along with a lot of tuning time or dyno time will get you near the 500hp mark if your stock engine doesn't break.

ModeratoreclipzGSTAug-03-06 03:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#7276, "RE: upgrading inefficiant componets according to mass air flow senser."
In response to Reply # 5

blah, blah, blah. Fuel has really nothing to do with it. It's AIRFLOW! You could throw in a set of 1500cc injectors and the biggest fp made. Until you have a turbo capable of pulling more air through the stock maf than it can handle, that's when you have to upgrade to a blow through setup. By that time, you'll have to do a LOT more than just upgrade the fuel system.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

kelvinb1Aug-04-06 08:30 AM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#7277, "RE: upgrading inefficiant componets according to mass air flow senser."
In response to Reply # 6

t88 and 1500cc injectors-instant 500hp

sentury111Aug-10-06 07:59 PM
Member since Aug 02nd 2006
8 posts,
#7278, "RE: upgrading inefficiant componets according to mass air flow senser."
In response to Reply # 0
Aug-10-06 09:13 PM by sentury111

That's all good stuff, we're probably going to try some of the small parts to keep smog regulations easy to convert. Then we'll be maximizing the fuel system and air flow. I'll probably look into some adjustable fuel injectors, as well as rewiring the fuel pump. We'll go from there. Thanks everyone for the responses.

ModeratoreclipzGSTAug-10-06 09:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#7279, "RE: upgrading inefficiant componets according to mass air flow senser."
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by sentury111
I'll probably look some adjustable fuel injectors.

When you find some let me know!

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

RemyAug-11-06 01:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#7280, "RE: upgrading inefficiant componets according to mass air flow senser."
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by sentury111 I'll probably look some adjustable fuel injectors.
When you find some let me know!

Wow.. lol. You better do ALOT of research buddy.

----------------------------------------
GT35 and stuff.
Lucky Number 6 ...

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7270 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic