Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4464
View in threaded mode

Subject: "wiring guages from fuses" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
Vandy420aOct-13-03 02:30 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4464, "wiring guages from fuses"

Hey all,

I have a greddy 60mm EGT/BOOSt and ever since theyv'e been installed the ebrake adn battery light comeon at random times. I talked to an audio guy and he said install the powersources from fuses...question is, which fuse to use? I'm thinking the 30amp switched power fuse, but is this too intense for the guages? Also, is there a better fuse to use inside the cockpit?

Thanks,
Vandy

P.S. I also have it wired so the guage lights only come on with the lights...

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
Vandy420aOct-13-03 02:31 PM
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4465, "RE: wiring guages from fuses"
In response to Reply # 0

sorry about the crappy typing, I just got one of those "split" keyboards and i'm still gettin' used to it...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

L2RTSiAWDOct-13-03 03:09 PM
Member since Sep 30th 2003
244 posts,
#4466, "RE: wiring guages from fuses"
In response to Reply # 1

I've never even heard of that problem. Where are the power wires spliced into?

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-13-03 03:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#4467, "RE: wiring guages from fuses"
In response to Reply # 2

Are you looking for someplace to wire them up for illumination?
If so, use the fuse for the instrument cluster. Just take the fuse out and wedge the wire in as you replace the fuse. Ground can go anywhere.

-Tony
98'GST
92'TSI-AWD

eclipzgst@charter.net
http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM

"...don't make me photoshop your pants so high that your undies start going over your head, think of it as a kaptainmyke wedgie if you will" -Kap'n Myke

RemyOct-13-03 05:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#4468, "RE: wiring guages from fuses"
In response to Reply # 3

The previous owner of my car had the air horn hooked up to the fuses. I hated it. I wouldnt recemmend it. Extras wires all over the place for nothing. The cig lighter works fine for me.

Member # 333

Vandy420aOct-13-03 05:41 PM
2037 posts,
#4469, "RE: wiring guages from fuses"
In response to Reply # 3

well what i'm trying to do is get rid of the 2 lights coming on...someone suggested there was too much load on the circuit, whichever circuit it may be. Here's what I have wired:

One 16AWG comign from the green/white stripe wire in the loom underthe kick panel to for illumination, switched/constant power from the wires on my turbotimer harness, and grounded on a screw holding a plastic panel to the frame...

Vandy

P.S. I have each wire connected to the harness wire, not one guage wire connected to the harness wire and the other GW connected to the first guage wire on teh switched and constant wires...

Vandy420aOct-13-03 05:47 PM
2037 posts,
#4470, "RE: wiring guages from fuses"
In response to Reply # 5

sorry I realize that sounds so confusing, lemmie try it again:

16 AWG GreenWhite-----to-----white wire turbo guage
----- white wire EGT guage

RED constant 12V on TT harness-----to-----red wire on Turbo guage
----- red wire on EGT guage

Switched (blue I think) wire on TT harness---to---orange Tguage
---orange EGT

Ground Turbo guage black to screw.....
Ground EGT spliced into TGuage ground

hope that clears it up a bit, thanks1

P.S. the prob is randomly the ebrake light and batt light start to come on, dim at first, then full on, but if i engauge the ebrake the ebrake light gets much brighter. ALso if its not on and I use the power windows or locks the lights usually come on...they randomly flicker sometimes then go on or off briefly, then back on...

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-13-03 07:51 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#4471, "RE: wiring guages from fuses"
In response to Reply # 6

sounds to me like there is something wrong with the switch for the ebrake. Try cleaning the connection. Nothing you mentioned was hooked up to it so your problem lies elsewhere.

-Tony
98'GST
92'TSI-AWD

eclipzgst@charter.net
http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM

"...don't make me photoshop your pants so high that your undies start going over your head, think of it as a kaptainmyke wedgie if you will" -Kap'n Myke

98TalonOct-14-03 02:36 PM
Member since Apr 22nd 2002
1096 posts,
#4472, "RE: wiring guages from fuses"
In response to Reply # 7

my car did that all last week, until finally two days ago, my alternator went all the way out... The new one is going in tonight after work.

1990 Eclipse GS-T

Vandy420aOct-14-03 05:20 PM
2037 posts,
#4473, "RE: wiring guages from fuses"
In response to Reply # 8

Really? Yeah I thought it might be the alternator, as the lights just started dimming when the sub hit recently, but I had a shop do an alternator test a coupla months ago and they said it was fine...(well I didn't have them do the test, I deviously didn't tell them about the lights and they saw them, as I had hoped, after they did the work, so they were just checkign to make sure they didn't do it) Yeah, i'm a bastard

I'll check on the ebrake tomorrow, but i'm still thinking it has SOMETHING to do with the guages, as it happened the FIRST time I drove it after I hooked them up, and i've been messing with it ever since...

Vandy

P.S. Guess what? I just realized that I opened my door last week while the car was jacked, and now the door (ever so slightly) scrapes against the panel the latch is attached to. I'm becoming a true DSM'er every day, except i'm helping to break my DSM one day at a time.....

thedawgOct-15-03 06:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#4474, "RE: wiring guages from fuses"
In response to Reply # 9

Mine did that before the alternator went out. If the birdcage light comes on (radiator) then it's the alternator for sure.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4464 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic