Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8445
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Ok, this got me a little nervous" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
420a-TnthewerksApr-21-09 09:10 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8445, "Ok, this got me a little nervous"

Well, my car has been like missing at light throttle lately, so I ordered some Accel Thundersport wires and NGK7 plugs, but they haven't arrived yet after a week and a half from Pro Street Online. Anyway I go out just a few minutes ago and give it some throttle but nothing happens. I hear air moving but I'm not going any faster, then all of a sudden when I give alot of throttle it comes alive and jerks foward.

Then I'm sitting there idling in traffic and my RPM's drop and idles at 100 RPM, but it's not a smooth idle, so I have to keep the trottle open for it not to die but it's still missing like crazy with it open. It does the same thing as before with giving it gas but doesn't move when I get going until I can open the throttle alot.

Will bad plugs and wires cause this? God I freakin hope so.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
NarcoApr-10-05 08:15 AM
Member since Jun 01st 2004
93 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8446, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 0

Did you check your plugs out?

A misfire will f'up your idle, but the ecu should try to bump the idle up to compensate.

Did you say the misfire went away when you rev it up/put load on it?

'98 GSX
'98 GS(In case ^ Breaks)Weird, the GS broke before the 4G did, F'n headgasket.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420a-TnthewerksApr-10-05 10:03 AM
2267 posts,
#8447, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 1
Apr-10-05 10:04 AM by 420a-Tnthewerks

I had Advanced Auto hook up tester to it, it say misfire cylinder 4. On the way there it had barely any acceleration and was choppy no matter how much load I put on it. So, I just bought and changed the plugs with NGK BRK6ES-11's. It runs a little smoother, but it's still lumpy. What's the gap supposed to be?

BTW, compression said 150 across the board with a warmed-up engine.

420a-TnthewerksApr-10-05 11:11 AM
2267 posts,
#8448, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
BTW, compression said 150 across the board with a warmed-up engine.

Scratch that, compression is 170-165-165-165 away from the timing cover to the timing cover.

420a-TnthewerksMay-14-05 12:00 PM
2267 posts,
#8449, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks BTW, compression said 150 across the board with a warmed-up engine.
Scratch that, compression is 170-165-165-165 away from the timing cover to the timing cover.

Oh yeah, this is weird, but I checked the compression again to make sure I didn't fuck anything up when it was driving all choppy and the numbers were better at 175-175-170-170

NarcoApr-10-05 11:34 AM
93 posts,
#8450, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 2
Apr-10-05 11:42 AM by Narco

What's the gap supposed to be?

.039"-.043"

'98 GSX

NarcoApr-10-05 01:00 PM
93 posts,
#8451, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 5

Looks like you're ok on compression according to this.

http://www.geocities.com/dsmgrrrl/FAQs/compression.htm

'98 GSX

420a-TnthewerksApr-11-05 08:49 AM
2267 posts,
#8452, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 5
Apr-11-05 08:50 AM by 420a-Tnthewerks

Originally posted by Narco
Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks What's the gap supposed to be?
.039"-.043"

Where did you find that out? I couldn't find shit except .028-.030. And that was even with the 6's(spark plugs).

Anyway, I'm going to go check the ohms on the wires right now.

Funny story, I searched on tuners, and some guy has the same exact problem as me with the same CEL codes and it happened on the same day(Saturday).

BTW, thanks for replying.

420a-TnthewerksApr-11-05 09:58 AM
2267 posts,
#8453, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 7

Ok, I think I found the problem.. I'm running on 2 cylinders lol. I pulled the plug wire furthest from the timing belt when the car was running, and the motor ran the same way. Then I pulled the one next to it, still didn't change the way it was running. But the last two made it stumble. I can hear them sparking, but I guess it's not enough, unless it's both injectors <--doubtful.

I should of check this earlier, I know, but it didn't come to me until now. And I only got a code for cylinder #4.

GSGoinFastApr-11-05 10:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#8454, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 8

Ok, I think I found the problem.. I'm running on 2 cylinders lol. I pulled the plug wire furthest from the timing belt when the car was running, and the motor ran the same way. Then I pulled the one next to it, still didn't change the way it was running. But the last two made it stumble. I can hear them sparking, but I guess it's not enough, unless it's both injectors <--doubtful. I should of check this earlier, I know, but it didn't come to me until now. And I only got a code for cylinder #4.

similar thing happened to me. would misfire loud like 3-4 times every gear. at idle it would shake like crazy. but after 3000 rpms it would smooth out. it was a bad wire.

maybe crankwalk??

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

2.4 Project is Officially underway

FlyinEsiApr-11-05 10:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#8455, "RE: Ok, this got me a little nervous"
In response to Reply # 9

Mine was just doing this too and replacing the spark plugs and gapping to .28-.31 corrected the problem for me.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8445 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic