Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 6 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #45178
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Would you pay in advance to attend a regional meet?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Sep-20-10 04:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#45178, "Would you pay in advance to attend a regional meet?"

I don't remember if I asked this before or not, so here goes.

Suppose there was a meet planned in your area, perhaps for a 4-5 state region. Let's keep it on the simple side - a cruise, event shirt/decal, organized racing (road, track, karting, etc.), and catered dinner/party afterward. Would this be something you'd consider paying for in advance? Maybe $100? Some other amount?

I'm curious. Trying to maybe get something going in the future and the people I've been talking to suggest that paying in advance - like a group buy - would result in better discounts for everyone.

Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
ModeratortekleinSep-20-10 06:03 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#45179, "RE: Would you pay in advance to attend a regional meet?"
In response to Reply # 0

I would if the person organizing was a stand up guy.

Cool idea btw!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RoninEclipse2GSep-20-10 06:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#45180, "RE: Would you pay in advance to attend a regional meet?"
In response to Reply # 0

For me it would depend on the timing. Earlier part of the year works better because I have so much going on after July (I swear I'll make it to the shootout someday) it really drains the pocketbook to try and make it to several large events in a few short months.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

TeamDR1665Sep-20-10 06:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#45181, "RE: Would you pay in advance to attend a regional meet?"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks guys. Appreciate it. Just a little something I'm sort of working on for the future.

djtrickeeSep-20-10 08:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#45182, "RE: Would you pay in advance to attend a regional meet?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by DR1665
Thanks guys. Appreciate it. Just a little something I'm sort of working on for the future.

I would not. There is not enough of a stable scene to justify such a cost-to-"equal return" ratio possibility. If I pre-pay for an event and am 1 of 5 to do so instead of 1 out of 100 to do so, then the event could not possibly live up to the amount I paid for.

However, and I say this with much bias and justification (as this is one of the things our company does) is to organize, promote, and most importantly market the event can equal not only a successful event, but more importantly, a profitable event.

Come see us at Viva Las Vegas to see what I am talking about.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

TeamDR1665Sep-21-10 12:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#45184, "RE: Would you pay in advance to attend a regional meet?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by djtrickee
I would not. There is not enough of a stable scene to justify such a cost-to-"equal return" ratio possibility. If I pre-pay for an event and am 1 of 5 to do so instead of 1 out of 100 to do so, then the event could not possibly live up to the amount I paid for.

However, and I say this with much bias and justification (as this is one of the things our company does) is to organize, promote, and most importantly market the event can equal not only a successful event, but more importantly, a profitable event.

Come see us at Viva Las Vegas to see what I am talking about.

First, a little more information on Viva Las Vegas, sir. If it's actually in Vegas, it's not much of a problem to drive there and back over a weekend. (We go a couple times a year, easily.)

Second, when you say there isn't enough of a stable scene to support such endeavors, how broad are you considering the scene? I happen to know a forum out there bringing in nearly $200k/year in paid memberships alone (not counting event profits or advertising), so I suspect the market is out there; it's just a matter of tailoring the content to draw that contingent out.

Finally, I agree that such events require much more than simple organizing and a post on a forum or two like the usual cruise. Promotion and marketing are critical. I'd also like to ensure my events would be streamed online to provide opportunities for virtual attendees to participate in some ways.

I am not looking to organize DSM meets. I am not looking to organize Evo meets. At a minimum, these events will be tailored to entire brand communities. One of the biggest challenges will be devising events which are enjoyable to owners of all types of cars - DSM/EVO/Galant/Colt/Montero and so on. Could a single event cater to all pursuits? Not likely, but "something for everyone" isn't the impossible dream.

I hear what you're saying. It's not that such events are impossible, just that our track record (the DSM community in general) doesn't have a track record sufficient to instill a great deal of confidence to make such a pursuit easy. Just one of the challenges I face with this venture.

Thanks for the feedback. Wiki wiki.

djtrickeeSep-21-10 04:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#45187, "RE: Would you pay in advance to attend a regional meet?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by DR1665
First, a little more information on Viva Las Vegas, sir. If it's actually in Vegas, it's not much of a problem to drive there and back over a weekend. (We go a couple times a year, easily.) Second, when you say there isn't enough of a stable scene to support such endeavors, how broad are you considering the scene? I happen to know a forum out there bringing in nearly $200k/year in paid memberships alone (not counting event profits or advertising), so I suspect the market is out there; it's just a matter of tailoring the content to draw that contingent out. Finally, I agree that such events require much more than simple organizing and a post on a forum or two like the usual cruise. Promotion and marketing are critical. I'd also like to ensure my events would be streamed online to provide opportunities for virtual attendees to participate in some ways. I am not looking to organize DSM meets. I am not looking to organize Evo meets. At a minimum, these events will be tailored to entire brand communities. One of the biggest challenges will be devising events which are enjoyable to owners of all types of cars - DSM/EVO/Galant/Colt/Montero and so on. Could a single event cater to all pursuits? Not likely, but "something for everyone" isn't the impossible dream. I hear what you're saying. It's not that such events are impossible, just that our track record (the DSM community in general) doesn't have a track record sufficient to instill a great deal of confidence to make such a pursuit easy. Just one of the challenges I face with this venture. Thanks for the feedback. Wiki wiki.

I was basing my analysis on the DSM scene that I have seen in the past 10 years I have been a part of it. I have seen the import scene come and mostly go and even more so now for the DSM specific market. I never attended any of the shootouts (although I thought about it) as there wasn't enough draw for me to risk driving across the country and using up vacation time to drive both ways. Now more than ever, the import scene is lackluster at best and I can attribute some of that lost interest in my growing older for sure, but the scene in general is obviously less active than ever.

Viva Las Vegas is the biggest Rat rod/Kustom event in the country right now with cars coming from every state and even across the waters from Norway, Sweden, Britain etc. Its a three day event that easily sells out each year and the car show(s) associated with it easily fill up months before the event.
While this is not an event that is similar to the one you are thinking of, it is a shining example that such ideas can be brought to fruition and sucessfully pull in enthusiasts by the thousands.

http://www.vivalasvegas.net/vlv14/

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com

TeamDR1665Sep-21-10 05:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#45189, "RE: Would you pay in advance to attend a regional meet?"
In response to Reply # 6

Deej, I sincerely appreciate your going deeper on this one. Thank you.

Yes, the DSM scene has shrunk considerably in recent years. It's hard to escape entropy when all your eggs are in one basket. One of the reasons I started Gearbox was to get people thinking beyond platforms and models.

How many DSM forums are there these days? As the number of DSM enthusiasts continues to shrink, how will these communities differentiate themselves to survive? I assure you, it will not be by more technical forums or a place to peddle used shit. Off topic areas might be the last holdouts. There's some food for thought.

The largest communities out there have the sizable buffers between them and obscurity, but so long as they are model/platform-based, they face a limited timeline. Perhaps we'll see the return of the webring, where a number of communities join forces? Who knows.

And, while I understand your aversion to driving to the Shootout (even I can't justify spending seven days on the road just to drink beer in an overpriced hotel parking lot for two days), I still say you've missed out by not attending. The Shootout isn't about drag racing. It isn't about dyno "competition" or even those delicious chili cheese fries at SRP. It's about getting together with friends in person.

You're one of the last OG holdouts 'round these parts. You are a shit-talking ninja skilled in the ways of FNG chastisement. You would fit right in with this group in person. If you enjoy having a few beers with friends, talking cars, don't you think you'd have a great time actually having those beers with people you've known for a decade online, now?

Enter VLV. How successful would it be if it were just a pre-63 Ford rat rod car show? What if it were a rockabilly music festival? The price, for four days of entertainment is outstanding, but I'd argue it's not the car show, bands, or contrived rockabilly merchandise that brings in the people. VLV is a lifestyle event.

This is exactly the type of event I'd like to work my way up to, but you don't just up and decide to organize a four day spectacle in Las Vegas. You gotta work up to that.

My plan is to probably start with a couple local events in Arizona, then moving into regional events. I'm already talking to a couple like-minded people with existing event experience here in the States and in the EU. Maybe, like Hammars, the one big annual event will move every year to give more people a chance to attend. I don't know yet, but I'm gonna try.

Again, thanks for the deep thoughts, Mr. Handey.

djtrickeeSep-21-10 06:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#45192, "RE: Would you pay in advance to attend a regional meet?"
In response to Reply # 7

Love it. No reason you can't get it sorted. Let me know if you need any assistance.

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-21-10 06:33 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#45194, "RE: Would you pay in advance to attend a regional meet?"
In response to Reply # 8

You know me B........Beam me up Scotty!

electroheadSep-21-10 08:12 PM
Member since Dec 13th 2009
182 posts,
#45195, "RE: Would you pay in advance to attend a regional meet?"
In response to Reply # 9

I'm up for it. We need thinking like this.

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #45178 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic