Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 6 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #36181
View in threaded mode

Subject: "GM/Chrysler Merger..." 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratortekleinOct-11-08 04:46 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#36181, "GM/Chrysler Merger..."

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE49A0X420081011?sp=true

Discuss.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-11-08 07:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#36183, "RE: GM/Chrysler Merger..."
In response to Reply # 0

Cummins Corvette, anyone?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamDR1665Oct-11-08 08:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#36184, "RE: GM/Chrysler Merger..."
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DarkOne
Cummins Corvette, anyone?

LS7 Viper?

ModeratortekleinOct-11-08 09:56 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#36185, "RE: GM/Chrysler Merger..."
In response to Reply # 2

Just a pipe dream, but maybe they will kill that ugly Caliber.

Fucking Neon replacing POS.

freelancefoolOct-11-08 06:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#36198, "RE: GM/Chrysler Merger..."
In response to Reply # 3

It will never happen. GM has too many brands right now and this merger would entail laying off tons of people on both sides as well as axing a lot of brands.

My Blog

eclipse982nrRSTOct-12-08 03:00 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#36201, "RE: GM/Chrysler Merger..."
In response to Reply # 4
Oct-12-08 03:00 AM by eclipse982nrRST

Chrysler is Failing. They are trying to bring back old cars like the Avenger and Sebring.

GM is doing nothing but designing new model cars. Why would GM even consider merging with a company who knows they have nothing to offer any more.

It will not happen. Was the same thing awhile back when Ford was trying to merge with GM.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-12-08 04:34 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#36202, "RE: GM/Chrysler Merger..."
In response to Reply # 5
Oct-12-08 04:39 AM by Star Turbo Talon

Gm has its own fuck ups. They cant compete in the midpriced sports car anymore. Ford knocked the z28 off the market, chrysler kicked ass with the charger and challenger (the v8 sold out in 1 hour), the vette is no longer accessible to the working class, THE GTO didnt pan out like they thought it would, demand only lasted 1 hour...lol. GM has been living off its SUV's and the Hummer.....which now as you can see at the gas pump is not doing so well. GM is fucked. I was a die hard GM enthusiast and supported the 4thgen Z28 till the day I died but GM started a downhill spiral when they tried to increase the value of the z28. Ford kept the mustang in the range anyone could afford one and made it easy to modify so that people who wanted something more like the z28 could easily have ford bolt on performance parts without voiding the warrenty. Ford got smart quickly and GM buried its head up its ass.

Chrysler is looking at what people are trying to buy to save money, avengers and sebrings are still being bought used like there is no tomorrow. I cant blame them for considering another production run.

My guess: GM is hoping a contract merger would heighten sales, they could care less about their workers.

Terry

96TurboGSOct-12-08 04:59 AM
Member since Dec 01st 2007
125 posts,
#36203, "RE: GM/Chrysler Merger..."
In response to Reply # 6
Oct-12-08 04:59 AM by 96TurboGS

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
It will not happen. Was the same thing awhile back when Ford was trying to merge with GM.

And they still are, there’s been talks here recently for anyone watching the news. Hopefully it doesn’t happen.

I hate fords POS engines like the 4.6 they put in just about every gt mustang. If gm starts putting lsX’s in mustangs (if they merge), my pride of being a gm owner will be destroyed. Maybe we can see more turbocharged things like a combination of the old srt-4 and the cobalt merging.

-Rafiel

TeamDR1665Oct-12-08 07:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#36206, "RE: GM/Chrysler Merger..."
In response to Reply # 7

They all make rental cars.

Like Terry said, the Vette is beyond the average Joe. Likewise with the Cadillac CTSV. The big 3 have been using trucks and SUVs to bankroll their forays into the exotic, supercar market; a market in which they do not belong.

I've heard that GM is trying to market the new CTSV against the M-class, AMG, and RS players on the high end luxury performance coupe market. The thing they seem to miss is that, while they might have a contender for that class, these other manufacturers trounce them on all other offerings. The European manufacturers build truly desirable cars with a fit and finish non-existent in all but the most premium of top-of-the-line American models. If I can't afford an M3, I can probably get into a 330i or even the 1-series, which brings with it the same level of style and grace, without the pure performance components. GM gives you the six-figure Vette or a cheap, plastic Cobalt. It's ugly and it's cheap.

You don't build a world class model if you can't be bothered with bringing the rest of your offerings out of the third world. Fuck 'em. Let Honda continue to be the only manufacturer in the US to turn a profit. Might be good to have Honda buy all three. Tell them all this pushrod, high displacement bullshit is over. 4 valves per cylinder, no more than 4L displacement, 7000rpm redline minimum.

Meh

eclipse982nrRSTOct-12-08 08:01 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#36208, "RE: GM/Chrysler Merger..."
In response to Reply # 8
Oct-12-08 08:01 AM by eclipse982nrRST

What do you mean there is no middle class of GM?

Brand new Impala, Monte Carlo, Equinox, HHR, Uplander's in the range from $14-$25k. Then you have the Cobalts and Aveos for like $12-$16k. I am not sticking up for GM, but they have just as much to offer then any other company out there. Wait until the Camaro comes out, at a decent price, I gurantee they will sky rocket in sales.

Yes, Ford keeps the low end mustang at a reasonable price, but what about a cobra or whatever? You getting higher in price, like the Corvette is. The vette is deffinately over priced, but for any high end car, what do you want? You want to pay $30k for it? Never will happen.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

HedgeOct-12-08 08:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
#36209, "RE: GM/Chrysler Merger..."
In response to Reply # 9

gm is probably after chryslers flex manufacturing. i think chrysler and honda are the only ones with it.

Thank you mobil one for rust proofing my driveway.

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #36181 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic