Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9616
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Wondering how long I could stay on 2" drop springs with stock struts? & Are used springs good?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
xEclipsE RaceRxMay-24-02 01:14 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
2982 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9616, "Wondering how long I could stay on 2" drop springs with stock struts? & Are used springs good?"

I really want to buy some Eibach Sportlines or H&R Race Springs, both a 2" drop, but I dont have the cheese for the struts I want to get (Tokico Blues). So I was wondering if I put those 2" drop spings on my car, how long could I ride around before the stock struts break? What happens when they break? Is it good to buy used springs? isnt it good because the springs are already settled in?

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition
Check Out My Site For Pix
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/EclipseRaceR/Site/Page%201.htm

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
fasterGSMay-24-02 01:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9617, "RE: Wondering how long I could stay on 2"
In response to Reply # 0

You could probably ride for a few months on stock struts, but they will blow out eventually. And when they break its just like the strut being worn out, no cushion at all. And as far as the springs go, with eibach or H&R I wouldnt worry about used ones, they dont sag that much anyway. With the cheaper brands you should be wary.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

SkrillaMay-24-02 08:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9618, "It is not so much the drop..."
In response to Reply # 0

...that becomes the problem but the lbs per inch in the spring rating. If the spring rating is something rediculous like my 800's up front and 650's in the rear then your shocks won't last a month. At 125lbs/in (which is less than the stocks actuall 80-100) you would have something bairly stiffer than stock and on a drop. So far the only springs I know of like this are the Progress Group springs. They are 1.8" drop that settle to 2". My friend ran his without blowing his stock KYB's for 3 whole years. If you aren't looking for anything other than drop and a tad bit stiffer (you really can't tell but they are for the drop you're going to) then these are the springs. they are also cheap at like anything from 100-175. He bought his for 125 3 years ago. Now he is on 8 way AGX rears and 4 way fronts on those same springs. He was looking for the extra dampening.

Edit: I don't know about the H&R's but the sport lines will eat up you stock shocks even with their puny rating of 150 or so(I think I'm a little off but they are just past the threshold).

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

ModeratorEvuLFleAMay-25-02 03:51 PM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#9619, "RE: It is not so much the drop..."
In response to Reply # 2

Who cares if your struts blow? If you can't afford new ones right now than just replace when you have the money. Mine have been blown for a year now and I'm too broke to buy new ones. My handling has suffered but oh well, its not like I'm going autocrossing soon. The ride is bad, but I ride in a freakin delivery truck all day and my car is like a blessing after that.

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

chayeMay-25-02 08:04 PM
Member since Apr 28th 2002
420 posts,
#9620, "RE: It is not so much the drop..."
In response to Reply # 3

hey man do what i did
i got maxspeed coilovers lover the car about 2+- in and sthat was about 1 year ago i put about 39000 miles on my car with the stock struts and all you have to do is get use to the bumpy ride i got stomach sick the first two days or so but eventually youll get use to it and hey the good side of is that noone will want to drive your car because of how vumby the ride is
i cant affor struts right now ( idont want to actually i prefer to spend those 400 bucks on something else like save up for some rims)

TeamXtremeRSMay-26-02 03:15 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#9621, "RE: Wondering how long I could stay on 2" drop springs with stock struts? & Are used springs good?"
In response to Reply # 0

I've been droped now on my H&R's for about 2 months now. Stock struts still doing excellent. The struts have 65000 miles on them, and they still feel real good. My front dropped about 2" and the rear about 1.75"

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

ModeratorEvuLFleAMay-26-02 04:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#9622, "RE: Wondering how long I could stay on 2" drop springs with stock struts? & Are used springs good?"
In response to Reply # 5

XtremeRS, take off your struts and hold them upside down and see if anything happens.

I bet most struts don't last 2 days without starting to blow with a 2" drop.

98 ESi
95 GS

xEclipsE RaceRxMay-26-02 05:02 AM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
2982 posts,
#9623, "RE: Wondering how long I could stay on 2" drop springs with stock struts? & Are used springs good?"
In response to Reply # 6

I have 66k miles on my 99 eclipse (yea i kno its bad) but I should be fine huh, like you Xtreme?

Check Out My Site For Pix
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/EclipseRaceR/Site/Page%201.htm

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

TeamXtremeRSMay-26-02 05:32 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#9624, "RE: Wondering how long I could stay on 2" drop springs with stock struts? & Are used springs good?"
In response to Reply # 0

Usually when struts start to go bad, they leak some, and the ride is bouncy, the car doesn't respond too well to bumps ect..My car IMO rides excellent, no leaking struts, as i have kept an eye on them. I know for a fact they are not blown yet..yet...How long they will last, well that i don't know, but i know for sure i will need new ones in the future. It seems like it just varies from car to car as to how long they will last..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

ModeratorEvuLFleAMay-26-02 10:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#9625, "RE: Wondering how long I could stay on 2" drop springs with stock struts? & Are used springs good?"
In response to Reply # 8

I had absolutely no leaks what so ever BTW.

I remember when Kap Myke though his struts were still good

You just lowered, so possibly. I don't give you more than 2 weeks though

98 ESi
95 GS

1TuffRSMay-26-02 05:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#9626, "RE: Wondering how long I could stay on 2" drop springs with stock struts? & Are used springs good?"
In response to Reply # 9

I didnt think the spring rate on the progress springs were that low. They arent listed on their site so I dont know, but my struts have to be blown. When I go over bridges my car bounces like a motha in the front. Its not like it used to be IMO, I will upgrade my struts eventually though.

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9616 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic