Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #7197
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Problem with rear strut install, please help !" Previous topic | Next topic
preci_eclipseMar-02-02 10:51 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2001
55 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7197, "Problem with rear strut install, please help !"

Wzup peeps, I replaced my worn/blown KYB struts with Tokico Blues today. The old setup was flush, the big "upper bracket assembly" that attaches to the car was flat against the spring probably becuase the shocks were blown. I re-used all the parts and with the new shocks there is a space between the big "upper bracet assembly" that attaches to the car and the spring (the 1.5" difference between stock springs and the Eibachs) unless I place pressure on it and compress it. The problem is that on the car the struts sound like something is loose, whenever I hit a bump the rear shocks sound like they rattle. Any ideas why that would be?

My other question is in regards to the yellow "Bump Rubber," how far down the strut should it go? If I press it down the first notch/click I can't fit the "self-locking nut" when I hold the shiny sliding pole of the strut and push the "yellow Bump Rubber" down another notch then everything seems to fit.

Another problem is that if I don't tighten the "self-locking" as much as I can (get it as far down the threaded part of the shiny pole of the strut) when I lower the car it shifts out of place, it won't stay flush/tight against the washer. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

Thanks for any help

1995 GS with 147K miles, Injen Intake, Pacesetter Catback, Projector headlamps, G2 altezzas, Clear Sidemarkers, Tokico Blues and Eibach Pro's, 18" Chrome Zeneti Milanos, 97+ front bumper

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-02-02 09:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7198, "RE: Problem with rear strut install, please help !"
In response to Reply # 0

>space between the big "upper bracet assembly" that attaches
>to the car and the spring (the 1.5" difference between stock
>springs and the Eibachs) unless I place pressure on it and
>compress it. The problem is that on the car the struts
>sound like something is loose, whenever I hit a bump the
>rear shocks sound like they rattle. Any ideas why that
>would be?

Perhaps it's the fact you're using good struts with a high returnability rate with springs that are designed to be 1.5" shorter than stock? It happens.. likely there is nothing wrong at all, it's just a by-product of the equipment you are using.

>My other question is in regards to the yellow "Bump Rubber,"
>how far down the strut should it go? If I press it down the
>first notch/click I can't fit the "self-locking nut" when I
>hold the shiny sliding pole of the strut and push the
>"yellow Bump Rubber" down another notch then everything
>seems to fit.

The bump stop? It's supposed to fit on a notch? Mine's always been shoved all the way down as far as it would go. This causes problems? It IS supposed to sit at the bottom of the strut shaft, you know.

>
>Another problem is that if I don't tighten the
>"self-locking" as much as I can (get it as far down the
>threaded part of the shiny pole of the strut) when I lower
>the car it shifts out of place, it won't stay flush/tight
>against the washer. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

I can't answer that.. This is one of those mysterious things that has always kept me happy with my stock springs. Stock ride height, 100%, YEAH!

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

fasterGSMar-03-02 02:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7199, "RE: Problem with rear strut install, please help !"
In response to Reply # 1

Thats weird bro.. when i had my h&Rs and tokico blues put on there was no gap, the top plate went right down on top of the spring. Or maybe I am misunderstanding what you are talking about. Dont know if this makes any difference but when they put mine on they cut the yellow stopper in half, so maybe it sits a little farther down. I dunno Im just guessing, its hard to picture it without a pic.

preci_eclipseMar-04-02 08:22 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2001
55 posts,
#7200, "RE: Problem with rear strut install, please help !"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for your help guys, I'm gonna borrow my boys digital camera and post a pic, I'm starting to get a squeaking noise too, goes away when I spray WD-40. I'm starting to think I might have 1 defective strut. Hope I'm wrong, right now I'm buying new "bump rubber, dust cover, and rubber bushings" to replace old ones hoping this will help. Also this one side I'm having problems with sits lower than the other side, WTF???

Thanks again guys!

1995 GS with 147K miles, Injen Intake, Pacesetter Catback, Projector headlamps, G2 altezzas, Clear Sidemarkers, Tokico Blues and Eibach Pro's, 18" Chrome Zeneti Milanos, 97+ front bumper

madregalMar-04-02 10:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
#7201, "RE: Problem with rear strut install, please help !"
In response to Reply # 3

i know what you are talking about.. i have the same problem with my left rear... the spring bounces on the bottom perch making that clunking sound.. annoying as hell. i put a piece of garden house on the last rung of spring but the noise is still there. i had new springs and struts.. so height of shock or spring should not be a factor.

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar
Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.Radius Rims.Pirelli Tires.Eibach Pro kit Springs.KYB GR2.$15 camber mod

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar.Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #7197 Previous topic | Next topic