Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30586
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Lowering Spring Install HELP?!" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
dmoneyJul-01-07 07:46 AM
Member since Feb 08th 2007
9 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30586, "Lowering Spring Install HELP?!"

I just recieved my sportline springs and front/rear camber kit. I dont have much experience with suspension so I want to get it installed professionally. What is the labor and install going to cost my roughly? I got a quote for $400 and thats just crazy. Any suggestions?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
totaleclipse_05Jul-01-07 10:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30587, "RE: Lowering Spring Install HELP?!"
In response to Reply # 0

Do it yourself.

It's not hard to do. Read Corbin's writeup:

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Strut%20Install

I hope you got some struts along with those springs and camber kit because I bet your stock ones won't last very long with the drop the sportlines produce. After you install everything, go get it aligned for probably around $70 or so at an alignment shop.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

goalie40Jul-01-07 11:39 AM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#30588, "RE: Lowering Spring Install HELP?!"
In response to Reply # 1

basic hand tools and a spring compressor you can rent for 10 bucks and a six pack It took me less than 3 hours from start to finish.

take your time and have some fun doing it.

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

wideout179Jul-01-07 01:24 PM
Member since Jun 18th 2007
9 posts,
#30589, "RE: Lowering Spring Install HELP?!"
In response to Reply # 2

Like the man says, read some of the write-ups that are all over the place and DIY. I installed my Tokico kit myself and it was a bitch, but the feeling you get when its done is uawesome.

jshillinJul-02-07 03:30 AM
Member since Jan 08th 2007
63 posts,
#30592, "RE: Lowering Spring Install HELP?!"
In response to Reply # 3

Make sure that you spray some PB blaster on the threads for the links that connect your Sway bars. After you spray the threads, clean them very good with a wire brush and then spray them again. I'd do it a day or so before you plan to start.

- Jason

2GeclipseRSJul-19-07 03:01 PM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#30605, "RE: Lowering Spring Install HELP?!"
In response to Reply # 4

Just a question. I wasn't there for the installation of some rs*r coilovers on my friends crx. He used stock struts and no spring compressor. I'd ask him but he passed a few months ago.

How would you go about doing it without one?

Goodnight sweetheart...yes its time to go...bum bum bum bum bum...good night sweetheart yes I am one little a$$hole......bum bum bum bum....

goalie40Jul-19-07 04:28 PM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#30606, "RE: Lowering Spring Install HELP?!"
In response to Reply # 5

my friend showed me a way to do it with a long towel its a good way to hurt yourself if you do it wrong. lots of force there. rent a damn $10 compressor

if you take a towel a old tshirt works too weave it between the coils. Then tie the ends tight get a pipe and start twisting it will tighten up with some work BE CAREFULL the springs are ment to hold up a car if it where to slip/fail while you are holding it enjoy the ER visit. Like I said get a compressor.

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

freelancefoolJul-24-07 11:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#30615, "RE: Lowering Spring Install HELP?!"
In response to Reply # 6

I'll have to go home and take pictures of my spring compressor. My uncle made it out of all thread and some plate steel 15ish years ago whenever my parents bought their 2nd fwd car. At the time you couldn't rent a spring compressor and the ones you could buy were $800 or so.

Everyone who has seen it in action swears I am going to die when a spring comes off of it. Do like these people said, rent one of the safe ones. Even then you must be careful because things do break and stuff can go wrong.

My Blog

2GeclipseRSJul-25-07 10:25 AM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#30616, "RE: Lowering Spring Install HELP?!"
In response to Reply # 7

Sheesh. Thanks. I'll rent one.

Goodnight sweetheart...yes its time to go...bum bum bum bum bum...good night sweetheart yes I am one little a$$hole......bum bum bum bum....

edxmonAug-07-07 01:56 PM
Member since Jul 26th 2005
1006 posts,
#30638, "RE: Lowering Spring Install HELP?!"
In response to Reply # 8

Don't put your springs in the wrong place, like I did, fronts in the back and so forth... I felt like an ass.

Originally posted by turbo8u
his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

I contributed to the wiki! My Page: edxmon

eclipsederekAug-23-07 05:52 AM
Member since Aug 23rd 2007
11 posts,
#30682, "RE: Lowering Spring Install HELP?!"
In response to Reply # 0
Aug-23-07 05:53 AM by eclipsederek

This is just for future reference and general knowledge but it isn't that hard to do the install just get the chilton manual. However, I did mine without a spring compressor. There is a write up somewhere were you flip the spring and strut upside down and put a wrench on top of the strut to keep it from turning and then place a socket over the nut and while you turning the strut just press down hard and it won't come flying off but you will fell it jump a little.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30586 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic