Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19490
View in threaded mode

Subject: "coilovers sound like $#i+ PLEASE HELP" Previous topic | Next topic
MitzClipz22Aug-19-03 12:30 AM
Member since Aug 17th 2003
246 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19490, "coilovers sound like $#i+ PLEASE HELP"

my coilover sound like metal hitting metal over every bump. like clink clank clink clank. and my rears, when i go into parking lots at an angle it sounds like the spring goes together and then shoots apart. why is this and how do i fix it? i can try to explain this better if it doesn't make sense. just tell me what you don't understand. Thanx for your help. BTW they are maxspeed coilovers with stock struts.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
a_miller_76Aug-19-03 03:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19491, "RE: coilovers sound like $#i+ PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 0

>BTW they are maxspeed coilovers with stock struts.

Stock struts...that's your first problem...your stock strut/shocks can't handle being lowered.

Coilovers (not coilover systems, just the spring and adjustment things) will rock back and forth and bang around. I hate coilovers. They don't have any way of being held in place so they are very noisy and very sloppy.

If you really want coilovers get a true coilover system. If not, buy some lowering springs and get some real struts and shocks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DinkjsAug-19-03 03:58 AM
Member since Jun 16th 2002
1035 posts,
#19492, "RE: coilovers sound like $#i+ PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 1

I agree with him....buy true Coilovers.....not the half ass crap just because there cheaper....you get what you pay for...you buy cheap products most of the time you get cheap quality

Performance: Stuff that makes my car run better or go faster

Looks: Stock because looks doesnt make my car go faster or run better

Weight Reduction: CF Hood, No A/C or Powersteering Accessories, No rear interior

MannyyyAug-19-03 05:29 AM
Member since Dec 08th 2001
1526 posts,
#19496, "RE: coilovers sound like $#i+ PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 2
Aug-19-03 05:31 AM by Mannyyy

Well a true coilover system is upwards of $1400 and I think there's only one person on the board who has them.

They're probably just installed wrong... double check for any metal to metal contact, it could be something as simple as a washer in the wrong place. I know it took me a few tries to get it just right. I have Arospeed coilovers and it rides just fine, well, as fine as one inch of wheel travel will allow.

*edit: if you hear a loud clanking noise while turning at a steep incline, that's normal. There's nothing you can do there, except take it slowly.

-Manny

spaniard372Aug-20-03 11:32 AM
Old School 2GNTer
182 posts,
#19508, "RE: coilovers sound like $#i+ PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 3
Aug-20-03 11:38 AM by spaniard372

They're not installed wrong and it has nothing to do with struts, although any time you lower a car you really should purchase performance struts to compensate.

Anyway though, did you install them yourself? Or even if you adjust them on your own you'll understand.

When you jack your car up the top perch on the Maxspeed's can be lifted independently. If you do this you can then grab the spring and move it up and down on it's own as well. Basically the spring sitting between the perches is free standing. It is not connected or sealed to anything. It stays in place via the weight of your car, it's just pressure set. So when you go over a bump (especially at an angle) you will remove that weight and the spring often shifts within the perches. Then when the full weight is returned to that corner of your car the spring will be forced back into alignment and you hear that "popping" sound.

It's just annoying, but not damaging. You will hear the same sound most of the time when you are lowering your car after it has been lifted with a jack.

And as a side note...agreed with the last "true" coilover comment. There is very few on this board with the cheese to purchase an Apex-i system or something. So telling him to get that is retarded. The springs he has are fine, and they are purchased for either increased drop (they are good for up to 4 inches) or functionality. I have both Tanabe Super Down Precedeo springs (very high-quality) and the Maxspeed's. I got the Maxspeed's so I had the luxury of raising my car back up when I had to drive my car over the mountain pass coming home from school. They aren't the best but they aren't the worse, it's all about what a person needs individually. Oh, I also haven't blown any struts in 4 years and they're stock. I do chalk that mostly up to luck though so *knock on wood*

Anyway, sorry about the rambling. Any more q's just ask, later...

likestoflooritAug-20-03 12:00 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
397 posts,
#19509, "RE: coilovers sound like $#i+ PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 4

what i have found if your fronts are clinking and clanking. Put presure on the side of the car with y our hood open so u can see the top of the strut make it bounce as much as u can and if u see you top of your strut moving u need to put more washers in the top part of strut..pretty much if u make your car bounce can u here the sound if so u need it to be tigher..hope this make since its hard to explain ..

97 Rs 5sp
-Intake
-Front upper strut bar
-Tint 20% o yeah
-Coilovers/KYB ADJ
-60mm TB
-P&P intake mani
-Cat Back System.
-Funny Rims?? dont lie
~likestofloorit.. (1/4=16.258)(60=2.363)

NackersAug-22-03 02:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1912 posts,
#19525, "RE: coilovers sound like $#i+ PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 5

Ours also makes a noise though its not like yours. It's more of a squeak than anything, but if we go over a big bump it clanks and shit. Like d00d said, its not going to damage anything, but it is very, VERY annoying.

www.ChicagoArea240sx.Editboard.com

jerseystyle1Aug-23-03 12:06 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
3135 posts,
#19529, "RE: coilovers sound like $#i+ PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 2

>I agree with him....buy true Coilovers.....not the half ass
>crap just because there cheaper....you get what you pay
>for...you buy cheap products most of the time you get cheap
>quality

So $300 for springs is cheap and I have a cheap product with my skunk2's? Give me a brake! Honestly, who has over $1000 for true coilovers? Everyone on here bitches about these things because they are noisey and are bouncey. Yes they do clank sometimes but as far as them being bouncey, I like the way they feel when driving. People want to have performance cars but want them to ride like a lexus. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little.

The noise you hear from the rear when you go into parking lots at an agle is the spring settling. It is perfectly normal and there is nothing you can do about it. As far as the other noises, make sure they are installed correctly.

Allan
2008 Magnetic Black 350z NISMO /1976 Austin Mini 1098 Special (export)

Member# 1980

NackersAug-24-03 05:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1912 posts,
#19543, "RE: coilovers sound like $#i+ PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 7

I agree totally with Jerseystyle. You want a lexus ride with corvette handeling. Oy...

www.ChicagoArea240sx.Editboard.com

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19490 Previous topic | Next topic