Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #14499
View in threaded mode

Subject: "baer brakes" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
blindmonkiDec-27-02 03:51 PM
Member since Dec 27th 2002
21 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#14499, "baer brakes"

I have a baer brake system and for some reason they've started to make this clunking noise when i brake. I seems to happen more on hills. Anyone know what it is? The pads are fairly new btw. Any help would be of great help =)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
KarlDec-27-02 04:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
289 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#14500, "RE: baer brakes"
In response to Reply # 0

What kind of clunking sound? metal-metal? Check if the caliper is hitting the wheel or any other obstructions. Check bolts.

Karl
97 GS
04 BMW 330i ZHP

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

blindmonkiDec-27-02 04:33 PM
21 posts,
#14501, "RE: baer brakes"
In response to Reply # 1

yeah it's metal to metal i think. The caliper isn't hitting anything and i checked all the bolts. Oh btw I've had these brakes for like 5 years when they first came out and have never had a problem til now.

TeamMichael_97RSDec-29-02 03:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#14502, "RE: baer brakes"
In response to Reply # 2

Does it happen any times besides when braking? Could it be suspension?

1997 Eclipse RS (in winter slumber for head gasket repair and other projects)

He who knows men is clever; He who knows himself has insight.
He who conquers men has force; He who conquers himself is truly strong.
-Lao Tzu

Injen CAI, AFX 55mm TB, P&P Intake Manifold, Crower Stage 2 Cams, Hooker Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Apexi S-AFC

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

blindmonkiDec-29-02 08:56 AM
21 posts,
#14503, "RE: baer brakes"
In response to Reply # 3

Nope only during light braking. I just checked through my suspension and it's not that.

1TuffRSDec-31-02 03:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#14504, "RE: baer brakes"
In response to Reply # 4

did it start once you put the new pads on??? If the caliper isnt hitting anything and the suspension is tight the only thing I can imagine it being is maybe the hub assembly going bad. When it goes bad it makes a nice clunking type noise which can easily be confused with suspension noise. I dunno

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

blindmonkiJan-01-03 10:42 AM
21 posts,
#14505, "RE: baer brakes"
In response to Reply # 5

sorry the hub assembly?

RoadRacingDSMJan-02-03 12:10 AM
Member since Aug 14th 2002
127 posts,
#14506, "RE: baer brakes"
In response to Reply # 6

The hub assembly is what houses the wheel bearing, and the rotor seats up against it. I really dont think that the brakes are making the sound you hear under light braking. If they were the sound would repeat like a drum. Does the sound do this? If it does then the sound is related to the rotating assembly. If not....I suspect that a motor mount is broken and what you are hearing is the motor falling back on to the mount causing a *clunk* sound.

Another thing is....does the noise adversely effect the performance of the brakes? If it does it could be that a pad has broke in half inside the caliper.........but that would cause a miserable sound. Take everything apart....inspect it. If you cant find a problem take the car to a professional.

2005 Evo 8

1TuffRSJan-02-03 02:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#14507, "RE: baer brakes"
In response to Reply # 7

yeah Joe and Melissa (those guys ^^^^) are right. The hub assebly houses the wheel bearing and when it goes bad you will hear a clunking noise. I had a bad hub assembly in the right rear of my car and it was fine at first but as it got worse and worse it made horrible clunking sounds when going over a bump or when braking. It was also brought to my attention that it made a scrubbing sound while driving, but since Im always booming my stereo I couldnt hear it. Your best bet is to check out what Joe said

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

blindmonkiJan-02-03 09:36 AM
21 posts,
#14508, "RE: baer brakes"
In response to Reply # 8

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll take a look at it this weekend and let you all know =)

1TuffRSJan-29-03 06:18 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#15372, "RE: baer brakes"
In response to Reply # 9

in case you havent figured out what was making the noise, I just recently curbed my rims in a snow storm we had here, and my brakes started clicking and stuff too. So we checked it out and found that my brake pads came loose and were moving with the slots while braking. If you look at the pads and how they are held, you can see how its possible for them to come loose if jarred hard.

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #14499 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic