Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #11850
View in threaded mode

Subject: "loud bang when i hit a small pot hole today.. any ideas on what it could have been" Previous topic | Next topic
trdberdSep-03-02 06:45 AM
Member since Jul 23rd 2002
48 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11850, "loud bang when i hit a small pot hole today.. any ideas on what it could have been"

i was coming back from class today and i hit a tiny pothole with my front right tire and i heard a loud bang(it was so loud it made me jump) i pulled around the corner and did a quick check and didnt see anything and i didnt really pull or anything. it almost sounded like the spring wasnt lined up right and snapped into place. but i dont know. any ideas on what this may have been would be appreciated.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
a_miller_76Sep-03-02 07:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11851, "RE: loud bang when i hit a small pot hole today.. any ideas on what it could have been"
In response to Reply # 0

Write something down about your car...stock? lowered? what kind of suspension mods do you have? have you done your ball joint recall yet?

Need to know these things before we can give you any suggestions

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

trdberdSep-03-02 08:33 AM
48 posts,
#11852, "RE: loud bang when i hit a small pot hole today.. any ideas on what it could have been"
In response to Reply # 1

im lowered on eibach sportlines. still on stock struts. 18 inch rims if that matters. i havnt done the ball joint recall. i bought the car used so i dont know if the previous owner had it done. how do i find out if it has been done.

fasterGSSep-03-02 10:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11853, "RE: loud bang when i hit a small pot hole today.. any ideas on what it could have been"
In response to Reply # 2

Call a local dealer and give them the VIN, they can tell you if the recall has been done. To me it sounds like you blew a strut, but it is hard to tell without looking at the strut itself.

1great98Sep-03-02 12:58 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2002
112 posts,
#11854, "RE: loud bang when i hit a small pot hole today.. any ideas on what it could have been"
In response to Reply # 3

I've had the same problem once when I hit a hole, and twice when I shifted hard from first to second. My suspension is stock (I have lowering springs just not on yet) and I have had the recall done by the previous owner.

97eclipseRSSep-03-02 11:52 PM
Old School 2GNTer
940 posts,
#11855, "RE: loud bang when i hit a small pot hole today.. any ideas on what it could have been"
In response to Reply # 4

i've had that happen a few times on the front right. every once in a while if i hit a pothole(doesn't even have to be big) but it hits it just right and you get a really loud bang, or slap. i've had satan chack my ball joints many times and they said they were fine and wouldn't replace 'em. yeah i know i can make them do it, but i didn't feel like going through the trouble. i don't think it has to do with them, and my suspension in general fells fine. it's stock, andi've never replaced anything, but it doesn't seem like it needs to be replaced...still stiff. anyway, i assumed that it was maybe the shock hitting the bumpstop, or something, but i've never messed w/ my suspension, so i dunno. any ideas?

- Dan

HRC Stage 2|30lb injectors|S-FMU|Walbro255HP|AFX UDP|B&M Short Shifter w/ Symborski Shift Kit|Rear Strut Bar|Power Slot Rotors|more...

GorkoRacingSep-04-02 02:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1757 posts,
#11856, "RE: loud bang when i hit a small pot hole today.. any ideas on what it could have been"
In response to Reply # 5

I have had that happen before many a time. I work for a lawfirm downtown and there are potholes all over the place. There was one that would always do that to me if I hit it. I would jump out and check too but nothing. I have eibach prokits on stock struts. I am not sure what causes it but mine does it too.

trdberdSep-05-02 02:17 PM
48 posts,
#11857, "RE: loud bang when i hit a small pot hole today.. any ideas on what it could have been"
In response to Reply # 6

thanks alot for the responses guys. makes me feel better. scared the piss out of me. i really thought i f-ed something up. to make it worse i had just goten out of class and was looking at these chicks and they were checkin out my car when i drove by and BOOM. i almost jumped out the window. oh well lol thanks again

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #11850 Previous topic | Next topic