Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30149
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Ball joint in upper control arm." 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
95_ESi_PersonFeb-27-07 06:57 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30149, "Ball joint in upper control arm."

I was changing out my wheels because I was excited because I just picked up my Talon again (gas mileage reasons) and have not driven it in a while.

While I was down there I was doing a "random" shake check of the suspension components, you know, 205k does catch up to you after-all.

My question is, can I just replace the ball joint in the upper control arm (or A-arm?), or does it have to be the entire unit?

I was shaking it and it was BAD. The swaybar endlinks on the Trailblazer were shot when I got it, but that was 1/32-1/16" movement with effort, this was 1/16+" EASY.

Any help would be great.

On a side note, we have a dinky little sway bar. Maybe I never noticed it until now, but damn! The sway bar on the Trailblazer is about 1.5" diameter (yeah, huge), but this thing is what... 1/2 inch? Upgrade needed for me!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-27-07 08:41 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30151, "RE: Ball joint in upper control arm."
In response to Reply # 0

the front upper ball joints are replaceable. they are about 30.00 each give or take. I used a press to remove mine but i guess you could pound them out.

Terry

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

95_ESi_PersonFeb-27-07 02:57 PM
3260 posts,
#30152, "RE: Ball joint in upper control arm."
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Terry!

I'm assuming it's just a matter of popping the dust cap off and going from there?

95_ESi_PersonMar-01-07 06:42 AM
3260 posts,
#30154, "MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 2

I just got the MOOG ball joints. Do other replacements come with some ring?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-01-07 08:24 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#30155, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 3

Even the stocker has a snap ring.

Terry

95_ESi_PersonMar-01-07 02:13 PM
3260 posts,
#30156, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 4

Ok. So that is what makes Chiltons say that the upper ball joint is not replaceable by itself?

I'm in the process of the few-days soaking of PB Blaster to help ease my effort.

mcgyvrMar-02-07 06:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#30157, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 5

Chiltons says that because when they wrote it there wasn't a ball joint replacement. Now there is.
You can even get adj. ones from the parts stores which are much cheaper than the SPC ones.

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

95_ESi_PersonMar-04-07 10:47 AM
3260 posts,
#30158, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 6

Got them on.

Still a noisy ride with clunking sounds, but that is probably just the endlinks, and not a dangerous clunking like that ball joint was.

ezMar-05-07 10:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#30159, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by mcgyvr
You can even get adj. ones from the parts stores which are much cheaper than the SPC ones.

Where and what part number??? TIA x 1000!

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

95_ESi_PersonMar-10-07 03:03 AM
3260 posts,
#30176, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by ez
Where and what part number??? TIA x 1000!

They had some at Advance when I went there initially. CarQuest may also carry some. Just ask them about it.

DanKidApr-15-07 07:16 PM
Member since Oct 29th 2004
480 posts,
#30283, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Even the stocker has a snap ring. Terry

Any tips on how to get that snap ring out of there? I tried putting pressure on it through the opening with a flat head screw driver and the damn thing would only go up a little a then drop back down. Just to make sure we're talking about the same snap ring it's flat right?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30149 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic