Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #8721
View in threaded mode

Subject: "steering wheel/car vibrations" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
Mystic511Apr-19-02 06:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1582 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8721, "steering wheel/car vibrations"

When i reach 70-80 mph range, the steering wheel shakes really bad, and the car vibrates.

At first I thought it was one of my wheels being off balanced, so i had them all balanced... but it didn't fix the problem.

What else could cause the shaking? I definately know it's coming from a wheel, because it gets worse and higher frequency the higher speed i go.

What else could be wrong? Bent rim? Bubbled on the tire? I did a visual check and it doesn't seem to be any of those.. and when the re-balanced the tires, wouldn't they have noticed that?

Could a warped rotor cause that vibration? I know i have a warped rotor.. but I'm not too sure it would cause a driving problem (other then braking funny, of course).

All this started after I put on the OZ F1's from the 99 oz edition eclipse.

Thanks for any and all help.

16.1 @ 87.11
http://www.virtuallyinfamous.com

ARD 57mm tb and p&p manifold, Neuspeed STB, Pro-kits, Illuminas, Injen CAI with K&N, 2.5" pacesetter catback,
AF/X UDP, Rear STB, Powerslot rotors, RRE SS Brakelines.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
98GST16Apr-20-02 02:36 AM
Member since Jan 20th 2002
312 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8722, "RE: steering wheel/car vibrations"
In response to Reply # 0

Alignment possibly? Did you have that done?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

John99RSApr-20-02 04:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#8723, "RE: steering wheel/car vibrations"
In response to Reply # 1

Mine was also shaking between 75 and 80. I just replaced my tires yesterday and the problem was solved. My new tires are awesome and really improved the handling of my car. There was also no noticeable problems with the other tires, but they were the problem.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

Mystic511Apr-20-02 11:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1582 posts,
#8724, "RE: steering wheel/car vibrations"
In response to Reply # 2

anyone have any other ideas on what could be wrong?

I'm hoping it's not one of the tires going bad, because I just replaced the back ones. Maybe i'll do some rotating to see if it gets better or worse.

I guess when i get the springs/shocks put in, i will have a tire place give everything a once over to make sure it's all ok.

16.1 @ 87.11

ARD 57mm tb and p&p manifold, Neuspeed STB, Pro-kits, Illuminas, Injen CAI with K&N, 2.5" pacesetter catback,

ezApr-20-02 11:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#8725, "RE: steering wheel/car vibrations"
In response to Reply # 3

Same thing happened to me when I got my enkei shoguns on and balanced -shook like crazy, and I know for a fact my alignment was fine. I took it back to the tire shop after a couple days, and had it balanced again. the ride was perfect after that.

they said that they were going to do a different "special balance for aftermarket/racing rims." I was thinking to myself whatever, I don't really think there is such a thing. A balance is a balance. I think what happens is someone who doesn't run the machine correctly is doing something wrong. get 'em to do it again.

If you are not on the brakes then the rotors will not make the steering wheel shake like that, even if they are slightly warped. They don't have enough rotational inertia to shake the wheel at freeway speeds. But to test it, see if the shaking gets worse when you press on the brakes.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Amish_EclipseApr-20-02 01:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#8726, "RE: steering wheel/car vibrations"
In response to Reply # 4

>they said that they were going to do a different "special
>balance for aftermarket/racing rims." I was thinking to
>myself whatever, I don't really think there is such a thing.
>A balance is a balance. I think what happens is someone
>who doesn't run the machine correctly is doing something
>wrong. get 'em to do it again.

that's not true. there are different ways of balancing. one (the one they prolly did first) is called static balancing. they use sticky weights and place them in the center. this is the most inaccurate type of balance. static balancing averages the inside and outside inbalance and tells you how much to add in teh center. the accurate and real form of balancing is called dynamic balancing. that's where the balance each side individually. that's what you hae now i can guarantee it. there's no way you are more comfortable with a static balance than with a dynamic

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

Mystic511Apr-20-02 06:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1582 posts,
#8727, "RE: steering wheel/car vibrations"
In response to Reply # 5

looks like i'm going back to the tire shop and asking if they did a dynamic balance.

Since it was only 10 bucks to balance a tire.. i'm guessing they only did a static one though.

16.1 @ 87.11

fasterGSApr-20-02 07:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8728, "RE: steering wheel/car vibrations"
In response to Reply # 6

Thats weird bro... my car never shook with those wheels/tires on my car. Id have to say something is out of balance, whenever ive had a vibration problem like that its always either been a bad tire or balancing. The rotors wouldnt do that unless you were braking. I hope you get it figured out.. lemme know how it turns out.

TeamXtremeRSApr-21-02 01:44 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#8729, "RE: steering wheel/car vibrations"
In response to Reply # 0

I think its one of your front tires. Usually if the wheel is off balance, it will start shaking around 55-65 mph, and kinda get better or stop when you go faster. You said it starts off light then gets worse by going faster, so i think you might have a busted steel belt in the tire, or a small bubble in the tread. The guys balancing the tire should be able to see a small bubble in the tread when balancing..It could be just your balance is off, but its def one or the other...

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

shuwa29Apr-21-02 02:36 AM
Member since Mar 15th 2002
2301 posts,
#8730, "RE: steering wheel/car vibrations"
In response to Reply # 8

yeah, i think all eclipse owners who mod their suspension and wheels go through this problem. i had the samething happen to me adn still does. around 70-90 mph it shakes, but before 70 and after 90 it is smooth again. i don't understand how going faster will smooth out the ride. but anyways, i read in a previous post that adding a upper strut tower bar will reduce the shaking. i plan on getting front and rear soon.
later

2GNT #1865
2006 Yamaha YZF R6 (Blue/Black)
2005 Honda CBR 600 RR (Blue REPSOL)
2003 BMW 325I Premium/Sport Package
2003 Honda CBR 600 RR (sold)
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS (sold)
Shuwa's links:
http://www.facebook.com/Shuwa29
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/shuwa29/

DarkOne> but we all have that inner ricer that is just dying to come out sometimes...

Mystic511Apr-21-02 08:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1582 posts,
#8731, "RE: steering wheel/car vibrations"
In response to Reply # 9

shuwa29, wow, that's like the same thing that happens to me. after 80, the shaking actually lessens... hmm.. hopefully one of us will figure out a solution.

And fasterGS, i'm guessing that UPS was a little rough with the tire and messed something up. Hopefully it's nothing more then me needing to rebalance it, but it's definately not something i'd blame you for. =)

I'll see what's up after i put my shocks/springs and nuespeed strut bar on.

16.1 @ 87.11

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #8721 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic