Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #609
View in threaded mode

Subject: "2G RS rear drum - GS-T rear disc conversion complete" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDeanoDFeb-04-01 05:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#609, "2G RS rear drum - GS-T rear disc conversion complete"

I will post/send Juan complete instructions and parts listings at a later time. I did not take any pictures, because I was in a pinch for time. Pictures are really not needed though and this was a straight forward swap over.

I seated in the rear pads last night and will be gentle on the brakes(complete front and rear)for another week or so. I would like to say one thing.....I now know what we have been missing from those GS rides.....LESS BRAKE FADE AND MORE STOPPING POWER.
I am sure this depends on your type of pads, but the rear disc does help the car stop much better. Braking is also much more controlled going into an apex and it is much easier to pick your line. I only did this a couple of times coming home and did not get on it hard.

This is a good upgrade and is much more than looks. If you can get the parts used, it is worth the money. Here is a complete parts list of my brakes, so you can compare apples to apples.

Front: KVR Performance crossdrilled/Cad plated rotors(stock size)
stock calipers, Hawk HP plus pads, RRE stainless lines, russell speedbleeders

Rear: Stock GS-T rotors and calipers, KVR Performance carbon/kevlar pads, RRE stainless lines, russell speedbleeders

Fluid: completely flushed with Wagner severe condition Dot 5.1

I actually did this conversion and there is lots of misinformation out there on what we need and do not need. Thanks, goes to those guys who helped me get through this and to the ASOG people who gave me a leg up on the install/parts instructions.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo
http://ar.dsm.org

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
SkrillaFeb-04-01 07:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#610, "TIGHT!"
In response to Reply # 0

That sounds good dude. I'm so against this because it adds weight to the car and a parasitic drag but the later you can brake into a corner the more speed you can take into it. It really is a practiced art but rear discs/pads certainly help prevent fade and more controlled braking, I'm interested as well so send me something as soon as possible. I also have the benefit of Phattalon in my area to give me a helping hand. Let us know again soon how the setup is working out.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

John99RSFeb-05-01 11:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#611, "RE: TIGHT!"
In response to Reply # 1

That does sound sweet man. Send me the info too please and what it cost you, if you don't mind. Also, I am doing sway bars on my car soon and was wanting to know your set up. You got your parts from Nprco right? Do you have the GS bars, or the GS-T bars? Let me know....thanks man.

John
john99rs@hotmail.com
http://johnseclipse.homestead.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

TeamDeanoDFeb-05-01 12:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#612, "I have a stock GS-T swaybar setup"
In response to Reply # 2

19mm front and 15mm rear w/energy suspension swaybar bushings

Front: GS-T is 19mm, GS is 18mm and RS is 16mm
Rear: GS-T is 15mm, GS is 13mm and RS is the big 0mm

Do not forget to get the correct bushings for the swaybar. The front and rear swaybar bushing attachment clamps are the same for all three sizes in front and the same for the two sizes in the rear. The bushing is what is different. The larger the bar, the larger the hole in the bushing is. This also helps reduce flex in the bar.

I got my front used GS-T bar from allmitsubishi.com for $20 (included endlinks that I did not need but will probably use after this autoX season...LOL). I think a new GS-T bar from my local mitsu dealer was $45(approx) with 20% discount. If you have to mailorder it, norco mitsu has good prices.

See the post in the announcement section that has the rear drum to rear disc conversion. Now that I have completed it, our local members want to do it. I would buy the parts now if you plan on doing it in the near future.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo

John99RSFeb-06-01 06:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#613, "RE: I have a stock GS-T swaybar setup"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks for the info DeanoD

John
john99rs@hotmail.com
http://johnseclipse.homestead.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

ModeratorjuanFeb-05-01 11:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#614, "RE: 2G RS rear drum - GS-T rear disc conversion complete"
In response to Reply # 0

Awesome!!!

I'm looking forward to your writeup. Been wanting to get this done for the longest time. It's definitely in the top 10 of mods people ask about.

juan

oRACLe063Feb-06-01 03:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2663 posts,
#615, "RE: 2G RS rear drum - GS-T rear disc conversion complete"
In response to Reply # 5

LAST EDITED ON 06-Feb-01 AT 08:27 AM (PST)

come on guys nothing looks better than a painted drum ... anywho it was to my knowledge that drum brakes offer more stopping power ... no ?

i hope you all realise i was joking about the painted drum

1997 RS AUTO

ORACLE063
1/4 - 17.021
60' - 2.510
Weight 2730

TeamMichael_97RSFeb-06-01 05:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#616, "RE: 2G RS rear drum - GS-T rear disc conversion complete"
In response to Reply # 6

Oracle, the only advantage to drum brakes is weight. They weigh less than disc brakes. But the disc brakes have better stopping power, and will stop in a better distance than drums on the exact same car.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

TeamDeanoDFeb-06-01 06:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#617, "Does anyone know exactly where our brake"
In response to Reply # 7

bias valve/proportioning valve is located on our car? GS-T/GS/RS all have the same 80%/20% valve. I am going to add a Russell or Earl adjustable valve and need to know how much room I will have to work with. I guess I could follow the reservoir down, but thought someone might know off hand.

A friend of mine races late model nascar and he sets his to 50/50 during dry conditions and 80/20 for wet. I am thinking of tying 60/40 for dry autoX track condtions and 70/30 for everyday street. Let the fun begin.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo

TeamMichael_97RSFeb-06-01 07:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#618, "RE: Does anyone know exactly where our brake"
In response to Reply # 8

It should be right by the master cylander. Probably on the underside. Exactly where I don't know. I can look in my Chilton's for you and see.

Michael J. Kulaga

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

TeamMichael_97RSFeb-06-01 07:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#619, "RE: Does anyone know exactly where our brake"
In response to Reply # 8

And.. I posted in the announcement section... Where did you buuy the Speed-Bleeders from? and what size tdo I need?
Thanks.

Michael J. Kulaga

Firefly:

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #609 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic