Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30949
View in threaded mode

Subject: "KYB GR-2's and Sportlines" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
95eclipse420ADec-20-07 08:54 AM
Member since Jan 01st 2005
139 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30949, "KYB GR-2's and Sportlines"

Ok, i DID search, and i DID find some info, but I want some new, current, more specific input. What problems do you guys think I will have with this setup, i'm also going to have the ES master kit installed as well. Thanks in advance.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
daes_vengeDec-20-07 04:38 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2006
252 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30951, "RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines"
In response to Reply # 0

GR-2's are stock replacements, not a good choice especially using Sportlines.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

95eclipse420ADec-20-07 04:55 PM
139 posts,
#30952, "RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines"
In response to Reply # 1

that's what i've read, but can somebody explain what exactly that means for me? like cant handle, will blow, please elaborate. I would like to understand why, not just be told why. thanks

daes_vengeDec-20-07 05:48 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2006
252 posts,
#30953, "RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines"
In response to Reply # 2

They will eventually blow. They are just not designed to take the beating a lowered car gives them. Would you consider using the stock struts that are on your car now with sportlines? Because if you purchase a brand new set of Gr2's (which is the manufacturer of the original oem strut)your not upgrading one bit and will be in the same situation as if you just left the oem struts on with the sportlines.

95eclipse420ADec-20-07 07:20 PM
139 posts,
#30954, "RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines"
In response to Reply # 3

ok well that sucks for me, i guess i will just have to go with it for a lil while till i get the cash for a better set then.

goalie40Dec-20-07 08:05 PM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#30955, "RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines"
In response to Reply # 4

The Gr2 are a little better than stock upgrade. They will work well with lowering springs I have a set on my RS with H&R race springs very low to the ground. Been on over 2 years with no problems. They will give you a better than oem ride but not much better. A good broke ass upgrade IMO.

Gr2 and H&R

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

totaleclipse_05Dec-21-07 03:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#30956, "RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines"
In response to Reply # 5

I used Tokico HP struts with Sportlines for a little over a year without a problem, but switched to Pro-Kits because the Sportlines weren't giving me the ride I wanted.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

Idontgotnothn88Dec-21-07 03:35 PM
Member since Nov 07th 2006
52 posts,
#30957, "RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines"
In response to Reply # 5

I had tokiko illuminas and sportline springs. The car handled like it was on rails and it looked sooo mean slammed to the ground. The illuminas are 5 way adjustable and I could feel the difference when I would adjust it. As for ride quality it was very close to stock setup imo. My only problem was I couldnt handle hearing my car scrape against the ground every time I ran over something higher than 3 inches off the ground, it would make my whole body cringe every time. I finally replaced it back to stock when I put a huge gash in my exhaust and dented my oil pan. I still have them sitting in my garage with a front and rear camber kit that I plan on selling after Christmas.

95eclipse420ADec-22-07 04:23 AM
139 posts,
#30958, "RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines"
In response to Reply # 7

So, what i'm understanding is that the KYB GR-2's are not meant to be that low, and some people just don't like being that low...Right?
I am aware and prepared for all consequences that come with the sportlines. Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but the Eibach website says that the Sportlines give a 1.6 inch drop for the front and rear, are they wrong?

goalie40Dec-22-07 08:54 AM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#30959, "RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines"
In response to Reply # 8

I like the ride. They can handle lower cars with no problems. If you can afford a nicer set get them. but if funds are an issue these would be a good upgrade.
My eclipse is really low 3 fingers to the ground off the front bumper. I like the drive till the road gets really bumpy, or I see a speedbump. I also run a 40 series tire that makes a difference. On my GST im running 45 series tires, and will be using eibach pro/sport lines the one with less drop. And something adjustable for struts.

suspension is something that gets upgraded all the time on our cars whatever you get in a year or two you will want something new.

Or is that just me.

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

blownoffvalveJan-22-08 07:49 AM
Member since May 25th 2004
5 posts,
#31013, "RE: KYB GR-2's and Sportlines"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by 95eclipse420A
Ok, i DID search, and i DID find some info, but I want some new, current, more specific input. What problems do you guys think I will have with this setup, i'm also going to have the ES master kit installed as well. Thanks in advance.

if you are going sportlines I heard its better to go with the adjustables.. if you go with the pro kit then the gr2 are fine

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30949 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic