Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9802
View in threaded mode

Subject: "honestly, how much better is upgrading your calipers to 2 or 6 pot?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
jamesmanJun-03-02 02:33 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9802, "honestly, how much better is upgrading your calipers to 2 or 6 pot?"

anyone who has done a brake upgrade to like wilwoods or brembos, How much better is the braking? Do you honestly feel that it is worth a 1000 bucks? cause after i put the turbo in, i noticed that i cant stop as well HEHE actually i find myself going faster, so i was looking into 4 or 6 pot calipers like the TCE kit and also has anyone tried TCE's 6 piston caliper using stock 17" gsx wheels?
thanks
James

Rest In Peace Heidi Doggy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
ModeratorjuanJun-04-02 09:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9803, "RE: honestly, how much better is upgrading your calipers to 2 or 6 pot?"
In response to Reply # 0

IMO, you only really _need_ bigger rotors/calipers if you are going to be running sessions at the track. On the street, a better pad compound and stainless lines will do the job for most people.

Remember that increasing the unsprung weight (as bigger rotors/calipers generally does) can negatively affect handling. I'd say that a large percentage of people get the big stopping hardware cos it looks cool, not because they have a real need for it. My disk is bigger than your disk, if you will...

juan

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

1TuffRSJun-05-02 04:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#9804, "RE: honestly, how much better is upgrading your calipers to 2 or 6 pot?"
In response to Reply # 1

I would definitely do it if I was turbo already. One of the guys in my car club has the Brembo kit x-drilled and slotted. He and his wife just put some EBC pads on them and the way they stop if fucking ludicrous. All you have to do is barely touch the brakes and your stopping hard enough for the seat belts to lock up and thats when their cold. Once they heat up its amazing. Here is a pic of his car below. Its the black GS with the 18" gunmetal OZs and big 'ol wing. You can check out our site and get his AOL IM screen name if you want to talk to him

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

DownAzzDSMJun-05-02 07:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
346 posts,
#9805, "RE: honestly, how much better is upgrading your calipers to 2 or 6 pot?"
In response to Reply # 2

I have TCE's 13" slotted 4pot kit. Let me tell you, The braking is about 4 times better. They NEVER fade even stopping from 140-0mph. I was the 2nd eclipse to have TCE Perormance's kit so I got it at $800. It's well worth $1000 IMHO.....

Steve
Black 97 GS
First time at track 16.231 @ 86.11 (Intake & Exhaust/ 17" rims)
Best time- 14.154 @ 101.22
W/O N2O- 15.916 @ 88.98

Magnacor

jamesmanJun-05-02 08:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
#9806, "RE: honestly, how much better is upgrading your calipers to 2 or 6 pot?"
In response to Reply # 3

anyone have any pictures?
thanks
James

pn0ymahalJun-05-02 03:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2621 posts,
#9807, "aem told me"
In response to Reply # 4

from what AEM told me when i went over there before, i asked them about the 1000+brake upgrade etc... he told me, honestly unless your going to race your car, autocross, or stop on it from 140mph+ to 0 in a flash then its not worth it... he told me the 2 piston calipers are good enough with some aem rotor that will take care of all your road rage needs...but hey its ur money dude

Michael 99gs
Mods:
Hrc Stage 2
S-FMU
315cc injectors
Crane HI-6DI2
Greddy Type S Bov
VC-2
Road Race Catch Can
Greddy Profec B & Switch
Apexi WS Catback
Super Afc
Autometer Boost, electric fuel, Egt, Tranny Temp Gauge & Cooler, Air/Fuel Light & Digital
Tokico Adjust Struts
Eibach Pro Kit Springs
Front & Rear Upper Bar
CarCraft Interior
Sound System= Bring it On

Michael
99gs hrc stage 5000 SOLD...
2004 Honda Accord V6 (240 hp)stock
what other car should i buy?? hmmm
Car info & pictures at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/520269

jamesmanJun-06-02 03:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
#9808, "RE: aem told me"
In response to Reply # 5

i get my retro pay for my annual pay increase and it has been overdue for like 7 months now so i am going to have a large chunk of money and i need to spend it before my girlfriend does! hehehe
lates
james

LunarEclipseJun-06-02 05:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
788 posts,
#9809, "RE: aem told me"
In response to Reply # 6

god i hear you, i got my tax check back and mine was like a vulture, its safe now away from harm in the turbo fund

www.artexmusic.com

97' grey gs/Greddy EVO catback/Greddy header/AEM cai/afx udp/dropped on 2" sprints

SkrillaJun-06-02 06:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#9810, "Juan got hooked up..."
In response to Reply # 0

...as I wish we all could but if you're looking for great performance and bang for buck I'd recommend RRE's twin piston upgrade. The whole setup is good except the pads(metal masters I don't like). For 500 you get twin pistons calipers from a GSX, bigger powerslot rotor and pads. The twin pot covers more surface area which makes braking easier. With having an upgraded rotor the heat has more dissipation area almost like a heat sink for your microprocessor. This is the setup I have. I have in Hawk pads which are an excellent inexpensive alternative for great street pads. I would much prefer the EBC Green Stuff(that's the name green stuff). I've yet to give them a try but all I hear is good things. Anyway with this setup I can brake hard, and not just once or twice, but repeatedly with zero fade and some high temp ford brake fluid. The ford brake fluid is cheap and is almost as good as the expensive stuff. It's their fluid from their Crown Vics. Since they teater on the verge of 2 tons with gas and a passenger I thought it would be a good choice, besides it's the same type that we can use, which is by the way DOT 3 or 4 NOTHING ELSE!

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

pn0ymahalJun-06-02 09:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2621 posts,
#9811, "RE: Juan got hooked up..."
In response to Reply # 8

hey james hehe i understand.. you were sopose to do your brakes before your 1st engine rebuild..hehe... if you got the money to spend bro go get them...hehe soon i will have the big brake upgrade with powerslot rotors r4-s pads new lines for the front...just waiting for my calipers(gsx calipers)...im spending a total of about 500 or less...james, let me know when you want me to give you the money i own u for the injecs? dude my bad its been how many months now hehe...

Michael 99gs
Mods:
Hrc Stage 2
S-FMU
315cc injectors
Crane HI-6DI2
Greddy Type S Bov
VC-2
Road Race Catch Can
Greddy Profec B & Switch
Apexi WS Catback
Super Afc
Autometer Boost, electric fuel, Egt, Tranny Temp Gauge & Cooler, Air/Fuel Light & Digital
Tokico Adjust Struts
Eibach Pro Kit Springs
Front & Rear Upper Bar
CarCraft Interior
Sound System= Bring it On

Michael
99gs hrc stage 5000 SOLD...
2004 Honda Accord V6 (240 hp)stock
what other car should i buy?? hmmm
Car info & pictures at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/520269

jamesmanJun-06-02 10:16 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
#9812, "RE: Juan got hooked up..."
In response to Reply # 9

hey...it's no problem man, i'll be outta town this weekend, but i'll give you a call next week
lates
james

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9802 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic