Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #28052
View in threaded mode

Subject: "where do brake lines usually fail?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-03-05 10:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28052, "where do brake lines usually fail?"

I took the dSM out fir a joyride tonight, 8 miles in a year and a half. when i stopped to give it a once-over with the flashlight i found a lot of fluid in the wheel well of unknown origin. all signs point at brake fluid, so my question is thus: Where do brakes or lines usually fail? am i looking at a line, coupler, hose, caliper? I haven't had a chance to check yet and i'm looking for pointers.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
shazow1969Oct-03-05 11:32 PM
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
466 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28054, "RE: where do brake lines usually fail?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey man your from TX right, well you shouldn't have the rust problem we experience on our lines in NY. I would say most likely if it's not been driven that you may have some dry rot on your flex hoses. You can check your caliper seals and banjo fittings also, but the flex hoses would be my first check. I replaced mine with goodridge stainless flex lines from Summit. Definately improved pedal feel and brake response. Not to mention they look pretty LOL.

01 Blazer LS 4.3/5spd dropped and clean DD
88 Camaro RS 361 CID with a 6spd and a bar 10 second street car on motor.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

KirbyOct-04-05 05:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
#28057, "RE: where do brake lines usually fail?"
In response to Reply # 1

Agrreed, I would be looking to the rubber first, it's a dry enviroment in TX right?

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

ModeratorxcasbonxOct-04-05 06:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#28058, "RE: where do brake lines usually fail?"
In response to Reply # 2

Were the brake lines disconnected from the calipers at any point during the downtime? Possible that a washer is missing on either side of the banjo bolt...perhaps.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1030

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-04-05 06:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#28059, "RE: where do brake lines usually fail?"
In response to Reply # 3

Never disconnected...

Guess i'll check the rubber lines first.. Odd, pedal doesn't feel spoungy, it's a fair amount of fluid,reserviour's a little low, and there's not much else down there. Happened out of the blue, too.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

KirbyOct-04-05 06:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
#28060, "RE: where do brake lines usually fail?"
In response to Reply # 4

Well you know how it goes with those rubber lines, they may be weakened and then with fluid pressure and heat, it causes the weak area to break. It is odd that your pedal does not feel ifferent, perhaps it is a small crack or hole.

I edited to the wiki!

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-04-05 06:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#28061, "RE: where do brake lines usually fail?"
In response to Reply # 5

Yeah, but this was enough fluid to soak part of the wheel well, and leave a larger-than-beercan-sized spot of fluid on the ground when i stopped and was checking the car over.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

KirbyOct-04-05 07:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
#28062, "RE: where do brake lines usually fail?"
In response to Reply # 6

Well that's not cool brother, hope it's an easy fix though.

I edited to the wiki!

wite96gsOct-04-05 08:20 AM
Member since Mar 20th 2004
365 posts,
#28063, "RE: where do brake lines usually fail?"
In response to Reply # 7

I've seen failures right at the swaged part, P/S lines do the same thing too. are the lines wet at all?

--------------
the first solution that comes to mind for any new problem with my car usually involves a can of gas and a match....

thedawgOct-06-05 03:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#28076, "RE: where do brake lines usually fail?"
In response to Reply # 8

Mine tend to wear out at the point where the hardline meets the rubber line. You could also check the inside of your rim to see if the caliper or bleeder is leaking. Did you check your CV joints or is it definitely brake fluid?

WickedESiOct-06-05 05:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#28079, "RE: where do brake lines usually fail?"
In response to Reply # 9
Oct-06-05 05:37 AM by WickedESi

In my experience, I've always seen the caliper piston seals fail before a brake line. This is real obvious when it is too, but you just need to pull the wheel, and swing the caliper up to see if the piston boot is puffy (should not be of course). O'Reilly's carries these for our car in stock.

If the boot checks out, I'd say it failed where the rubber hose connects to the metal hose end, since that is what is fatigued the most.

Also, just make sure and check you don't just have a loose bleeder dino

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #28052 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic