Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #705
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Suspension techniques 19mm rear swaybar" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDeanoDFeb-11-01 08:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#705, "Suspension techniques 19mm rear swaybar"

I plan on keeping the front GS-T(19mm)bar. I want to know if upgrading the rear factory GS-T bar(15mm spring steel) to a 19mm Susp Tech mild steel bar gives better handling/cornering characteristics. I already use poly swaybar bushings so the new set will not help out. I guess it depends if the 19mm mild steel is stronger(less bending) the 15mm spring steel bar. The bends in the bar might be different as well yielding a stiffer bar. Any opinions from those who actually have this rear bar installed.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo
http://ar.dsm.org

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ModeratorVX100Feb-11-01 08:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#706, "yes :)"
In response to Reply # 0

A larger rear sway bar will help handling. In solo II, for A stock, E stock, ect... they don't allow any modification to the rear sway bar because it can help so much

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.803 @ 86.48 MPH

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Armond30Feb-11-01 10:42 AM
Old School 2GNTer
161 posts,
#707, "YES"
In response to Reply # 0

the bar is VERY noticeable. Susp. tech bars have different bends than fac. to make them stronger. front bar is adjustable too

Have fun!

HootFeb-11-01 11:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
106 posts,
#708, "RE: Suspension techniques 19mm rear swaybar"
In response to Reply # 0

maybe i'm just a scaredy-cat, but i think they sell sway bars in sets for a reason. the diameters of the bars are usually matched in a way that the car has a more neutral handling characteristic. if you put a larger bar on the rear and keep your stock front bar, you may find that your car oversteers too easily. this could be quite dangerous unless you're planning to power-drift around every curve. lol

we're doing a group purchase for RMDSM bars at ASOG. if you're interested, e-mail bill at wrhinehart@earthlink.net and tell him you heard about it from me.

Hoot

John99RSFeb-11-01 11:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#709, "RE: Suspension techniques 19mm rear swaybar"
In response to Reply # 3

Hey Hoot, how much is the group buy going for?

John
john99rs@hotmail.com
http://johnseclipse.homestead.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

HootFeb-12-01 03:57 AM
Old School 2GNTer
106 posts,
#710, "RE: Suspension techniques 19mm rear swaybar"
In response to Reply # 4

i'm not sure what the current price is. last i heard, we had enough people to get them for $275. maybe if a few more people get with it, we can have em for $250.

SkrillaFeb-11-01 01:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#711, "This goes along what Hoot said..."
In response to Reply # 0

Bars are sold in sets for reason. A 19 and a 19 are mismatched for balance as are mine with RMDSM at 20.6mm each but you also have 2 different brands. You will be tail happy with that setup so you will need to learn your car's driving characteristics again. No more trail-braking or fast swooping curve without some throttle. The plus is that you will be able to powerslide with a setup like that. I prefer my setup like that. It makes it act similar to a RWD car but defintely not for everybody. I have ZERO ROLL with these bars and GC/Tokico suspension, as well as thicker and stiffer bars than what you're thinking about but for me it's more dramatic but worth it. Yours will still have tail swing but not as pronounced.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

TeamDeanoDFeb-12-01 07:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#712, "long again"
In response to Reply # 6

I did not think the rear 20.6 rmdsm bar would fit the fwd cars. Hook me up dude....give me the scoop. I would really love JUST that 17.5mm rear rmdsm bar(fwd). Do you think they would sell that bar by itself(rear only) to an individual speed shop. I really do not want to go bigger than the 19mm front I already have. I also think the rmdsm fwd setup gives too much understeer. (20.6 front 17.5 rear). Your setup would be too extreme for me. That is why I am keeping my 19mm GS-T front and upgrading the rear 15mm GS-T bar with an aftermarket bar.

BTW: the factory 19mm front swaybar is stiffer than the suspension techniques 19mm. this is due to the use of spring steel(factory) compared to the use of mild steel(susp tech). I am guessing that the susp tech rear 19mm(mild steel) is about the same stiffness as a rear factory GSX 18mm bar. Given they both use poly bushings. I wish I could get that GSX bar to fit. Any thoughts my friend?

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo
http://ar.dsm.org

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

KoryFeb-12-01 07:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2620 posts,
#713, "I have both front and rear bars from ST"
In response to Reply # 7

I have both bars and it changed my complete thinking of suspension setups. The front bar is adj but i set it to hard all the time and counter it with softer strut setting. I forgot the diameter of the bars but i think they were both over 20mm each. I got them both on for 400. I didn't use the GS/GST/GSX rear lower control arm at all to bolt it on. I welded the sucker to my A-arm :} to make sure it doesn't go anywhere :}

Well worth the $. Now if i can only get a good set of coilovers and tires.

"RACECAR backwards is RACECAR!"

Kory
korynguyen@yahoo.com
Happy Honda Hunting!

The Original 2GNT []D[][]Y[][]D

96 RS

97 GSX

SkrillaFeb-12-01 03:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#714, "It fits..."
In response to Reply # 7

...although you *might* have to move your muffler just a bit, depending on what kind you have, I have a GS-T, and it's VERY close but I'm cool. That's interesting about the steel, and sounds like it would work out for what you're looking for. RMDSM does sell them seperately but I think it costs like $30 more, but maybe not, but the RMDSM bar is 80% percent stiffer than the stock GS sway bar. I had no rear sway bar, so for me I got 40% stiffness in the front and 180% in the rear. Have You attempted to fit a GSX Rear Sway before. You should be able to do it. I wanted the extra diameter in the rear and it was either that or RRE's Freakin ONE INCH thick bar(unbelievable). So this was the only way to go. Maybe someone could send me a digital camera to show off my goodie

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #705 Previous topic | Next topic