Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 5 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #22058
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Does insurance cover your car for autocross/track events?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
Teameclipse804Jan-22-04 07:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22058, "Does insurance cover your car for autocross/track events?"

Does anyone know for a fact whether your personal auto insurance covers your car at autocross/track events? I wish I could take my car, but am worried about the whole insurance issue. Thanks.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
ClayJan-22-04 10:48 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1790 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22060, "RE: Does insurance cover your car for autocross/track events?"
In response to Reply # 0

I do not believe car insurance covers autocrossing. At least from what I've seen at Solo2. Which autocrossing event are you planning to attend?

95 GST | So-Cal

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

espilcEGSJan-23-04 02:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
257 posts,
#22062, "RE: Does insurance cover your car for autocross/track events?"
In response to Reply # 1

I wasn't sure and had to email my wife and ask. She said that they would not cover anything that occurs at any type of racing event. That was followed by a bunch of !!!!!

RemyJan-23-04 03:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#22065, "RE: Does insurance cover your car for autocross/track events?"
In response to Reply # 2

no

ajna st4r: how much would that suck
ajna st4r: black... and like 5inches
ajna st4r: you got JIPPED

Member # 333

96eclipse2nrJan-23-04 07:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3605 posts,
#22072, "RE: Does insurance cover your car for autocross/track events?"
In response to Reply # 3

no, but i believe you can purchase insurance through scca for racing events

-----------------------------------------
2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-NX 75 shot, AEM CAI, P&P t/b and intake mani-SOLD

1964 Buick Electra 225-all original, all power options, 325hp, 445ft/lbs tq

ModeratorVX100Jan-23-04 03:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#22082, "RE: Does insurance cover your car for autocross/track events?"
In response to Reply # 4

Regular insurance certainly does NOT cover ANY racing event like drag racing, circle track events, or autocross, and they might not even cover you if you get into an accident street racing (maybe, maybe not, I'm not sure on that one).

You can purchase racing insurance, but that is naturally above and beyond what you would normally pay, and it's probably expensive too.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

96eclipse2nrJan-23-04 03:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3605 posts,
#22083, "RE: Does insurance cover your car for autocross/track events?"
In response to Reply # 5
Jan-23-04 03:58 PM by 96eclipse2nr

VX, do you really think race insurance would be THAT much more? considering typical insurance is mostly there to replace 2 party's cars and pay for 2 party's medical bills. depending on the type of coverage on race ins im sure it would just cover your vehicle, maybe not health? and youd probably be the only one covered, not someone elses car or health??

edit: not trying to be argumenative, and i could be dead wrong...this is just something that i thought about reading your post

-----------------------------------------
2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-NX 75 shot, AEM CAI, P&P t/b and intake mani-SOLD

1964 Buick Electra 225-all original, all power options, 325hp, 445ft/lbs tq

fly1Jan-23-04 05:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1470 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22084, "RE: Does insurance cover your car for autocross/track events?"
In response to Reply # 0

I work for an insurance company. They will not cover any races at any "organized" events. Some insurance companies actually go to auto-x websites and official member lists, and if they see your name on the list, they could cancel your policy.

"Sometimes, a man has to do what a man has to do."

Teameclipse804Jan-25-04 09:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#22105, "RE: Does insurance cover your car for autocross/track events?"
In response to Reply # 7

Woah ok. I was actually thinking of doing a track event, but I think it's way too risky to be driving with other cars very near you on a track (although passing was only allowed on the straights). Autocross you usually don't have any risk except cones right? (since you aren't passing each other). I searched and found that if the event is considered a driver's improvement school (where you have an instructor in your car), then it has been covered by insurance in the past. However, I wouldn't want to risk that...thanks for the input...

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

ModeratorVX100Jan-26-04 04:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#22120, "RE: Does insurance cover your car for autocross/track events?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by 96eclipse2nr
VX, do you really think race insurance would be THAT much more? considering typical insurance is mostly there to replace 2 party's cars and pay for 2 party's medical bills. depending on the type of coverage on race ins im sure it would just cover your vehicle, maybe not health? and youd probably be the only one covered, not someone elses car or health?? edit: not trying to be argumenative, and i could be dead wrong...this is just something that i thought about reading your post

Didn't take it as argumentative at all

I was just speculating that insurance for racing events would be expensive, since it would probably be considered a "high risk" activity.

I tried doing a quick search of racing insurance, but came up empty handed

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

TeamDR1665Jan-26-04 05:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#22121, "RE: Does insurance cover your car for autocross/track events?"
In response to Reply # 8

besides... don't they make you sign a waiver before you can even attend the event? Just a little piece of paper saying you remove them from any liability for any damages to you or your property during the event.

Pretty sure that SCCA offers it's members discounted event coverage though. Check their site man!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #22058 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic