Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #7417
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Wheel and tire people...Q's..." Previous topic | Next topic
TeamXtremeRSMar-10-02 03:11 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7417, "Wheel and tire people...Q's..."

Well i'm looking at 17 x 7's, so i need some advice on what kind/size tires would be best for me since i don't know crap about performance tires. Keep in mind i will be doing a drop of about 1.5 inches or so also. Here is what i'm looking for... A good all around performance tire, excellant wet traction, good ride, quality, good wear too. What brands do you guys recomend? I can pretty much get most popular brands at a decent price, so let me know. Some have said the size of 215-50-17 is a good one, but i want the most width i can get with the proper fitment and performance of course too. So lets hear it. I might be getting some wheels very soon, i found a special on the ones i'm lookin at. Anyone heard of AEZ brand rims??

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
96 RSMar-10-02 05:42 PM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
39 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7418, "RE: Wheel and tire people...Q's..."
In response to Reply # 0

im not an expert on tires or anything, but i know that Nitto 555's are an excelent tire.

96 RS

96 RS
{DynoMax Exhaust, Bosch +4, MSD, Ion blue headlights, Blue A/C unit mod, Free airbox mod, $15 camber mod, ill. tail mod, indiglow gauges, Sony CD, 2 15"s, 800w amp, Sony EQ

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

randyMar-10-02 07:48 PM
Old School 2GNTer
662 posts,
#7419, "RE: Wheel and tire people...Q's..."
In response to Reply # 0

kuhmo's 712 great tires and cheap. 225-45-17

96 RST: Star Performance stag
05 scion xb: bolt ons
92 nissan 240sx
07 toyota sienna

fasterGSMar-11-02 01:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7420, "RE: Wheel and tire people...Q's..."
In response to Reply # 2

I dont know model, but yokohoma makes an excellent tire. We had em on my celica, great for handling, but soft as hell. Lasted less than a year.

TeamDeanoDMar-11-02 03:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#7421, "RE: Wheel and tire people...Q's..."
In response to Reply # 3

17x7 inch wheel should get a 215/45/17 tire. 225 is the widest you should go with that wheel, but I recommend 215.

good and cheap....here goes. Tirerack has these selections.

215/45ZR17

Dunlop SP Sport W-10 $72 each (best deal going!!!!!)
Kumho Escta 712 $89 each
Sumitomo HTR-Z $88 each They also have the HTR-Z-II available.

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

TeamXtremeRSMar-11-02 05:04 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#7422, "RE: Wheel and tire people...Q's..."
In response to Reply # 0

Ok, I'v been talking to a very knowledgable guy at the place i'm getting my rims from. He said with dropping the car, he isn't sure what tire will fit without rubbing, ect.. I plan on a 1.5 drop, 2 " max. With a 17 x 7 wheel, and 225-45-17 tires, will this be ok with the drop? I'm thinking it will, and all i'll need at most is to roll the rear fenders. He says there could be probs with the steering, or rubbing on the aftermarket strut assembly with the drop. Who here is lowered with 2" drop, running 17 x 7's and 225-450-17 tires? Is this the set up that will work/look good? HOw bout some help here fellas!! I can get the rims for 88 bucks my cost wholesale(PCW wheels), and toyo proxi SZ4 225-45-17's for 98 bucks ea. Help me guys before i spend my money! TIA

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Amish_EclipseMar-12-02 03:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#7423, "RE: Wheel and tire people...Q's..."
In response to Reply # 5

on 17x7 you can go to a 205-50-17. pretty narrow but will give the best wet traction as far as sizing is concerned. if you have to have the widest tires possible go 225 45 17 and get
michelin pilot a/s w rated great all around traction but expensive.
dunlop sp5000's z rated excellent wet traction
dunlop sp9000's prolly second to the pilots mentioned above.

for ride quality michelin has it cornered. no one comes close.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

CandudeMar-13-02 04:42 AM
Member since Feb 05th 2002
57 posts,
#7424, "RE: Wheel and tire people...Q's..."
In response to Reply # 6

I just installed the Khumo Ecsta 712's this past friday at America's Tire store on my 16inch stockers.
They ride nice.
Grippy on the onramps and smooth rolling too.
Nice looking tread pattern.
I went from the 205 55 16s to 225 50 16s.
Hope this is helpful.
Candude

1996 Eclipse GS
MaxSpeed Racing Muffer (c/w Silencer), 2.5 Inch Cat Back Pipe, AEM CAI, Magnecor KV85 8.5mm Competition Spark Plug Wires, NGK BKR5EYA-11 Plugs, Symborski Shift Kit, Hurricane_GS Short Shifter, MaxSpeed Racing Pedals, Import Intelligence

Amish_EclipseMar-14-02 03:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#7425, "RE: Wheel and tire people...Q's..."
In response to Reply # 7

225 50 16 is for an 8 inch wide rim. like the rx7 wheels. that's to wide for us stock we're 16x7

CandudeMar-15-02 04:54 AM
Member since Feb 05th 2002
57 posts,
#7426, "RE: Wheel and tire people...Q's..."
In response to Reply # 8

Amish_eclipse:
Not that I doubt you, but why would ATS put them on the car then?
Obviously they wanted to make the sale and they did not have any other size in stock, but wouldn't they be liable if the tire blew and I wrecked?
What could happen with these tires on the stock rim?
TIA
Candude

1996 Eclipse GS
MaxSpeed Racing Muffer (c/w Silencer), 2.5 Inch Cat Back Pipe, AEM CAI, Magnecor KV85 8.5mm Competition Spark Plug Wires, NGK BKR5EYA-11 Plugs, Symborski Shift Kit, Hurricane_GS Short Shifter, MaxSpeed Racing Pedals, Import Intelligence

Amish_EclipseMar-16-02 07:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#7427, "RE: Wheel and tire people...Q's..."
In response to Reply # 9

improper tread wear and decreased performance because at speed not all of the tire is laying flat on the road surface. 225 50 is for guys like todd that use them on the 16" rx-7 wheels. for best performance a tire should only be as wide as the rim it's being mounted on. to wide a tire creates sidewall sag which will destroy your tires from the inside if it's bad enough. to narrow a tire will give you the risk of the beads breaking off the rim and/or in extremely low profile tires you risk riding on the edge of the rim rather than the tire. i've seen this last one on a set of konig 19's. they tried to fit 215 35 19's. needed a 225.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #7417 Previous topic | Next topic