Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #680
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Coilovers vs Shocks/Coilovers" Previous topic | Next topic
LeeFeb-09-01 05:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
309 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#680, "Coilovers vs Shocks/Coilovers"

Why are complete coilover suspensions so much more that shocks and coilovers? What are the advantages of a full coilover system? Are they really worth twice as much as shocks and coilovers?

Lee
http://www.geocities.com/turbo99gs

HRC Stage II
Coming Soon!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
SkrillaFeb-09-01 05:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#681, "Yes they are..."
In response to Reply # 0

..but are you going to completely utilize them is the question. Having these complete built in shock spring assemblies you have some pretty good advantages like no loss to shock travel, raising and lowering 2-4", 10+ adjustability which allows dampening/stiffness settings. Unless you're into some serious roadrage or racing or Auto-X, just get some affordable Skunk2s or Ground Controls with good shocks. I don't have experience with Skunk2s except that with just about any shock it will lower at least 2.5" but doesn't do as good a job in raising the vehicle or maintaining stock height like the Ground Controls if you wanted to.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

cyanFeb-09-01 08:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#682, "not much more money"
In response to Reply # 1

well considering the cost for what you are getting they arent much more money at all. take for instance the tanabe sustec or the apex hyper damper. over $1200 for these but you are getting the highest quality spring and dampening that is adjustable up to 22 settings on some of them. now if you take the high quality coilovers like ground control or skunk they are about $400. now throw in the high quality shocks (koni yellows) and they are about $400-600 depending on your deal. so you are looking at almost the same cost for the individual set. there are also a few minor things you may complain about with the cheap coilovers. the full coilovers spring perch threads onto the shock itself, but the cheap ones thread onto the collar which wraps around the shock, which can cause some rattle and clanking over bumps. there is also a chance of the perch slipping with the collared coilovers because they are not as stable. and finally, you can slam the full coilovers as much as 5 inches on some and have no worries about bottoming out during daily driving.
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

SkrillaFeb-09-01 02:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#683, "$1200 where?"
In response to Reply # 2

LAST EDITED ON 09-Feb-01 AT 07:36 PM (PST)

I thought I got a HELLUVA good deal for my setup at under $700 for a very functional ride. I would like to say though that Tokicos are the original and provide the very best is dampening EXACTLY LIKE Apex and Tanabe who of which are both younger companies. They are inexpensive but certainly not cheap. I don't know their warranty but my setup is lifetime w/o the receipt and without voiding it.

Tanabe are good quality as well as being about the least expensive of the Complete CoilOvers. Where could I check out those some others for that price?

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

cyanFeb-09-01 03:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#684, "RE: $1200 where?"
In response to Reply # 3

the ground controls are about $1600, the apexi and tanabe are both around $1400. a slew of companies are bringing out full coilover setups now, such as ground control, 5zigen, HP Motorsports, Vis, konig, intrax, sprint, and several other spring companies, but theyre all around the same price, with the exception of the ricky racer Lo-Boyz, which are only $600. one of the recent issues of super street did a comparison of some of those companies, so you could check there for all the info but i dont know which issue i saw it in.
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

TeamStan2gntFeb-10-01 01:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#685, "RE: $1200 where?"
In response to Reply # 4

The biggest advantage as Skrilla stated of true coilovers are there ability to maintain susupension travel when lowered. They are designed with shortened strut bodies that dont dwell far into there compression stroke even with 2+" drops. Drop a slip pn coilover 2+" and have the strut is already compressed well into its compression stroke. Only with true coilovers can you ride around with a 2.75" drop and have all the comfort and handling of usable travel. They also are less likely to move out of place since the threads are built into the strut body or welded. Most are more adjustable but you could get that with expensive custom conventional struts. Tanabe has two versions. The sustec Pro and the Sustec Pro Street. The pro streets are height adjustable but have no damping adjustabilities. These aren't that expensive for coilovers (I've seen them for $1100 or so). The Sustec Pro are ajustable for rebound and compression and are MUCH more expensive than the Pro Streets. I didn't know Apexi made coil overs for us. I've seen them for a variety of imports but never the 2G. For me coilovers are just more sh*t too not keep my hands off of and screw things up (like my alignment).

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

LeeFeb-13-01 01:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
309 posts,
#686, "February '01 Issue"
In response to Reply # 4

They compare 17 different coilover systems.

Lee

HRC Stage II
Coming Soon!

LeeFeb-13-01 01:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
309 posts,
#687, "February '01 Issue"
In response to Reply # 4

They compare 17 different coilover systems.

Lee

HRC Stage II
Coming Soon!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #680 Previous topic | Next topic