Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32791
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorCorbinMar-30-10 07:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32791, "Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"

I need more traction than my 215 tread width tires can provide, so I am looking to squeeze as much rubber underneath the car as possible. I want to properly support that rubber with the appropriate width wheel. I am OK with running the wheel flush with the side of the car, but it cannot noticeably stick out. I do need to turn corners, so the tire must not touch the fender liners. The car is fairly high with only a 1-1.2" drop (H&R OE). I would like to hear from a few people running 235-245 tread width tires on 8.5-9" wheels. Ideally, I want to know the offset of the wheel you run and if there are any issues. After some searching, I believe that an 8.5" wheel with 42 mm offset and 235 tread width tires will fit. If I could go 9" and 245 tread, that would be worth considering. Anyone running these combinations sucessfully?

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
AdministratorCODE4Mar-30-10 08:41 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32792, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-30-10 08:44 PM by CODE4

Not dedicated to 2G's, but check it out, it may have some educational info.

http://mitsu-media.com/showthread.php?t=8860

FWIW, look at AZDave's set up with 18x8 Volks, with 235's mounted. He is on Eibach Prokits.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=7&page=&topic_id=103000&prev_page=show_topic#103114

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

baconater3000Mar-30-10 09:37 PM
Member since Aug 11th 2009
104 posts,
#32793, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 1

Why don't you just go to tire rack...They will help with a lot of your questions Corbin.

‹noboost› Four gee's and 63 years ago, our forefathers brought forth on this continent, a new dsm, concieved in Normal Illiniois...

Originally posted by barza21
barza + turbo = honda owning!!!!

AdministratorCODE4Mar-30-10 09:46 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#32794, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by baconater3000
Why don't you just go to tire rack...They will help with a lot of your questions Corbin.

Not with this one.

---

2012 2500HD LML

baconater3000Mar-30-10 11:26 PM
104 posts,
#32795, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by baconater3000 Why don't you just go to tire rack...They will help with a lot of your questions Corbin.
Not with this one.

Ya I noticed...Any other tire place have one for this? There should be a guide posted on this somewhere on the net.

‹noboost› Four gee's and 63 years ago, our forefathers brought forth on this continent, a new dsm, concieved in Normal Illiniois...

ModeratorxcasbonxMar-31-10 07:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#32797, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 4

I'm running 18x8.5's with a 225/40 lowered about the same as you with Tein S-tech's. The rims have a +42mm offset and just ever so lightly stick out from the fender. It's only noticeable if you look directly from the back of the car on either the left or right side.

I know you're looking more for a 235, but I thought I'd give you my input regarding the 8.5" width rim.

I contributed to the Wiki.

RoninEclipse2GMar-31-10 10:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32799, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 5

I've got stock sized EVO 8 wheels and tires and they're a 235 width. No rubbing at ~1.5" drop. I would need to roll the fenders to go too much lower, they sit nice and flush with the edges of the fenders.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

baconater3000Apr-01-10 02:32 AM
104 posts,
#32803, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
I've got stock sized EVO 8 wheels and tires and they're a 235 width. No rubbing at ~1.5" drop. I would need to roll the fenders to go too much lower, they sit nice and flush with the edges of the fenders.

Which evo 8 wheels do you have?

RoninEclipse2GApr-01-10 10:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32806, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by baconater3000
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G I've got stock sized EVO 8 wheels and tires and they're a 235 width. No rubbing at ~1.5" drop. I would need to roll the fenders to go too much lower, they sit nice and flush with the edges of the fenders.
Which evo 8 wheels do you have?

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=103000&mesg_id=103000&page=&topic_page=1

3rd post. Pic is on stock springs

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

ModeratorCorbinApr-01-10 07:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#32809, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 8

So far Cas is the only confirmed data point. In my digging around, I found this nice page:

http://www.martincheck.com/wheel_tire_fitment_FAQ.html

A formula always makes me feel better. I still want some more data points from members.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

electroheadApr-01-10 08:45 PM
Member since Dec 13th 2009
182 posts,
#32810, "RE: Need people with 8.5" and 9" wide rims"
In response to Reply # 9

I'm running 17 x 7 Enkei or52 with 38 offset and I got 235 45's on it and they fit fine. I know I don't have the 8.5" or 9" width rim you're asking about, but I figured I'd give my two cents. I'm running stock height for now, but the tires don't sit flush or stick out past the fenders. I don't see any issues with rubbing when I do lower it, being that I have enough clearance and won't need to even roll my fenders. Hope this helps a little.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32791 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic