Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32560
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
Ebster1085Nov-22-09 09:04 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32560, "Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?"
Nov-11-09 07:56 PM by Ebster1085

So I recently did the rear camber mod and used 5 washers per bolt. I used class 10.9 bolts, hardened washers, and a lock washer on every nut. At the same time I did the camber mod, I also had to change my lower links and cam bolts as the parts were rusted out and toe angle could no longer be adjusted.

Since doing this mod, I have noticed strange noises coming from the rear end when taking turns (both right and left) as well as sometimes when I go over a bump. It sounds almost like a rubbing, or something sliding back and forth during the duration of a turn. Really weird. I checked all the bolts, both on the links and the upper mount, and everything is tight.

Anyone ever have this problem or have any idea what this could be?

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
RoninEclipse2GNov-12-09 01:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32564, "RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?"
In response to Reply # 0

Depending on the size of your tires you might be rubbing. Check the tire face for wear, sometimes smearing some mud on the face of the tire and see if suddenly a section is clean after a few bumps.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Ebster1085Nov-12-09 02:37 PM
531 posts,
#32565, "RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?"
In response to Reply # 1

Not a bad idea with the mud or chalk maybe. I did take a look at the tires for wear last night, and I didnt say anything, but that doesnt necessarily mean there were no marks.

I am currently running 18x7.5" wheels with 225/45/18 rubber. For suspension, the car is dropped with Tokico HP struts and Eibach ProKit springs.

freelancefoolNov-14-09 07:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#32569, "RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?"
In response to Reply # 2

Also, consider the bushings. You are loading them differently and they may be tearing or the bolts may be rusted up tight in the sleeves in the bushings.

My Blog

Ebster1085Nov-14-09 01:06 PM
531 posts,
#32570, "RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?"
In response to Reply # 3

Could be Clay. And judging by how rusted the cam bolts were I wouldnt be surprised if some of the other suspension joints are fucked too and not used to the new stance.

Not sure if this will shed any light on the issue, but I noticed today that the sound is definitely more noiceable when there are more people in the car.

The other day when I really noticed it I had two of my buddies riding with me. Today I went for a ride by myself and barely even noticed it, except once when I hit a bump in the road while taking a turn.

RoninEclipse2GNov-14-09 04:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32571, "RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?"
In response to Reply # 4

Bust out the chalk and mark where the tires could rub the fenders, Get some friends in the car and see if it rubs. If there's no rubbing then start checking the bushings.

If it's more noticable with more weight I'm inclined to think that it's fender rub. I had the same issue with another car I had.

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

Ebster1085Nov-15-09 12:10 PM
531 posts,
#32572, "RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks Erik. Turns out it is a tire rubbing issue.

Anyone have a good and easy way to roll the fenders on our car?

RoninEclipse2GNov-16-09 12:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32574, "RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?"
In response to Reply # 6

Baseball bat wedged between the tire and the fender is the cheapest. I've heard that some places rent fender rollers that bolt to your wheel hub, but I don't know about your area

Erik P.

Ebster1085Nov-16-09 02:47 PM
531 posts,
#32575, "RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?"
In response to Reply # 7

Yea, I will have to make a few calls about renting the tool. I spent some time last night watching some videos on YouTube about the different methods for rolling the fender, and it seems like the easiest for me would be the bat or pipe method.

If I can find someplace that rents out the tool, though, I will probably go that route, as it looks like the most effective and least risky way to go. Really dont want any paint damage to occur.

ModeratortekleinNov-17-09 01:04 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#32576, "RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by Ebster1085
Yea, I will have to make a few calls about renting the tool. I spent some time last night watching some videos on YouTube about the different methods for rolling the fender, and it seems like the easiest for me would be the bat or pipe method. If I can find someplace that rents out the tool, though, I will probably go that route, as it looks like the most effective and least risky way to go. Really dont want any paint damage to occur.

That or buy the Eastwood for 250ish, then rent it for 40 bucks.

Person sends you 300 bucks shipped, when you get it back, you give 250 back. And so forth.

Rollyourfender.com does that.

RoninEclipse2GNov-18-09 01:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32577, "RE: Rear Camber Mod Causing Noise?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by teklein
Rollyourfender.com does that.

Nice find Tim!

Erik P.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32560 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic