Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32078
View in threaded mode

Subject: "how so cheap" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
scorpo86Nov-22-09 09:01 AM
Member since Nov 08th 2006
282 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32078, "how so cheap"

i wouldnt say this is off the topic because it deals with suspension so i didnt put it in the pits.
my question is how is the prices for ball joints, all tie rod parts, lowering springs so cheap on ebay? i can get two ball joints for the price of one and the tie rods are cheap as hell too. is it because they dont spend money on add dollors like autozone?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
adamztyMar-14-09 06:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
219 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32079, "RE: how so cheap"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by scorpo86
i wouldnt say this is off the topic because it deals with suspension so i didnt put it in the pits. my question is how is the prices for ball joints, all tie rod parts, lowering springs so cheap on ebay? i can get two ball joints for the price of one and the tie rods are cheap as hell too. is it because they dont spend money on add dollors like autozone?

Generally, eBay parts are going to be lower quality. Your ride quality is going to be really bad if your suspension consists of all eBay parts. You get what you pay for.

If you buy name brand parts on eBay, that is different. Name brand parts can be had for a little cheaper on eBay sometimes.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RoninEclipse2GMar-14-09 08:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32080, "RE: how so cheap"
In response to Reply # 1
Mar-14-09 08:54 AM by RoninEclipse2G

ebay parts are usually cheap chinese parts made with inferior quality materials by workers in sweatshop conditions. you will pay less but they will wear out or fail much quicker than name brand stuff that has a warranty

If you're wanting to spend less for simple suspension stuff check parts dinosaur or rock parts online

there are some things you can be a cheap dick on. intakes, some exhaust bits, etc. Things that don't have the potential to kill your ass by causing a wreck. suspension components are one area where you can't afford to be a cheap dick.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

NemoMar-14-09 12:57 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2008
366 posts,
#32081, "RE: how so cheap"
In response to Reply # 2

+1 for what Erik said.

When I shop ebay I ALWAYS ask the vendor where the parts were manufactured. Even if the Chinese stuff is CNC machined I stay clear of it because I know they have little or no quality control and usually use a cheap, inferior metal. Just a heads up.

klynt96rstMar-16-09 01:07 PM
Member since Jun 12th 2008
25 posts,
#32082, "RE: how so cheap"
In response to Reply # 0

agreed with everyone else, alot of stuff on ebay is made in foreign countrys that are less supereior in quality, but if it works it works, now those cheap coil springs setups, i would never use, from what ive seen there spring rate are crap and unequal on every corner ect

Striped and left for dead now rebuilding
96 Eclipse Rs will be T again soon
Cold Air intake, Megan Header, N1 Cat back exhaust, test pipe, UDP, Drum To Disc Conversion, OBX throttle body spacer

freelancefoolMar-17-09 05:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#32089, "RE: how so cheap"
In response to Reply # 0

If you think your life is worth risking to save $300 on cheap suspension components, by all means go with the knock off crap. Please just stay away from me while you are flying down the highway.

My Blog

scorpo86Mar-17-09 05:48 AM
Member since Nov 08th 2006
282 posts,
#32090, "RE: how so cheap"
In response to Reply # 5

no, i was just wondering. i wouldnt buy stuff like that. i was just looking at them and pondering. I would look into what i buy first becuase my suspension is spent bad and im going to rock out a whole new set up. i want to feel safe diving in the rain again.

jjw205Mar-20-09 08:33 PM
Member since Jun 12th 2006
12 posts,
#32106, "RE: how so cheap"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by freelancefool
If you think your life is worth risking to save $300 on cheap suspension components, by all means go with the knock off crap. Please just stay away from me while you are flying down the highway.

Haha, yea I have the same philosiphy. Suspension is one thing I do not skimp on. Intake or exhaust or something, maybe, but not something like tie rods or ball joints or anything that can give out when you are cruisin around a corner at 70...

TuxdreamerxApr-11-09 06:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#32166, "RE: how so cheap"
In response to Reply # 7

I agree with everyone I got new lower and upper controls arms, inner and outter tie rod ends in a kit off ebay for like $350 shipped and it was a bad mistake the parts have rusted and I have 8000 miles on these and now im hearing pops from the ball joints and have a new vibration on the highway so im guessing ill be replacing these parts soon.

Also I bought wheel bearings both side brand new they were like $60 shipped and I was thinking man I only need one but for that price im going to go for it well I put 2000 miles on them and went to a shop to check my alignment and the alignment was good but the wheel bearings were shot they had a ton of play in them.

So I have learned my lesson and as a person who has used a ton of parts off ebay I will say most of the parts have been great but suspension isnt a good idea unless they are from a known manufacturer.

Just my 2 cents.

daes_vengeApr-12-09 01:01 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2006
252 posts,
#32167, "RE: how so cheap"
In response to Reply # 8

Moog makes good suspension parts for our cars but be prepared to pay the price. Dorman is also good for replacement compression arms.

Timken, National, Skf... for wheel bearings. I have National myself and have held up well.

jesterscorpionJan-23-10 05:01 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2010
36 posts,
#32675, "RE: how so cheap"
In response to Reply # 9

You also have to watch for the fake Ebay items, there the ones that say name brand but are actually the cheap stuff with a name brand plate welded onto them. Seen that too many times on there.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32078 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic