Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30519
View in threaded mode

Subject: "suggestions for removing pistons from dual piston caliper?" Previous topic | Next topic
ezJun-10-07 06:07 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30519, "suggestions for removing pistons from dual piston caliper?"

So I thought this one through before doing it, but obviously missed stepped.

I pumped the brakes with the driver side caliper off the rotor to get the pistons to work their way out. One pops out (I have to say, it was like looking at a dog giving birth) but the other one is still there. In hindsight, I should have blocked one piston so the other one would have gone out as much as the first one - but I didn't know how big the pistons were going to be.

Now, I can't pump the brakes for the passenger side anyway, because there is no caliper on the driver side to keep the pressure up. me be lost.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
foggy45Jun-11-07 07:20 AM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30521, "RE: suggestions for removing pistons from dual piston caliper?"
In response to Reply # 0

well since your gonna have to bleed the lines anyway, id remove the calipers. they will definatly be much easier to work with and control off the car.
i took mine off and made an adapter that hooked into my Porta-power (hydrolic ram) and pumped the pistones out with that.
the trick, like you discovered, is getting them to both come out evenly. if you use a "C" clamp on each piston you can control them on there way out.

once out then id recompend polishing the piston and bore for a nice smooth movement.
i also ended up machining the face of my pistons to they were flat on the pads too

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ezJun-11-07 04:02 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#30523, "RE: suggestions for removing pistons from dual piston caliper?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by foggy45
well since your gonna have to bleed the lines anyway, id remove the calipers. they will definatly be much easier to work with and control off the car. i took mine off and made an adapter that hooked into my Porta-power (hydrolic ram) and pumped the pistones out with that. the trick, like you discovered, is getting them to both come out evenly. if you use a "C" clamp on each piston you can control them on there way out. once out then id recompend polishing the piston and bore for a nice smooth movement. i also ended up machining the face of my pistons to they were flat on the pads too

thanks foggy. polishing is something I think I'd have to get done professionally - I have no tools or knowledge how to do that. I would like to change the o-ring seal inside the caliper too - but I don't know where or even if I can get those. also, I don't know if there is a special lubricant to put back on the piston when putting them in. when one piston came out, it was covered with some kind of yellow junk

foggy45Jun-12-07 05:33 AM
1032 posts,
#30524, "RE: suggestions for removing pistons from dual piston caliper?"
In response to Reply # 2
Jun-12-07 05:37 AM by foggy45

nah its really not that hard to polish. if you want a mirror finish and dont have a lathe then ya might want to take it somewhere. but mainly its just getting and rust or high points off.

the rebuild kit for the dual calipers is fairly cheep and is simple to do. got mine from advance autoparts for $15
there are no o-rings in the piston itself its designed for a metal-metal close tolerance glide fit.
only the seal and keeper need replacing and comes in the rebuild kit

as for lubeing the new pistons, nothing special just use a new bottle of brake fluid to lubricate it. just smear some on the piston right before you insert it.
that yellow gunk is contaminated old break fluid

DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

ezJun-12-07 07:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#30525, "RE: suggestions for removing pistons from dual piston caliper?"
In response to Reply # 3

awesome info. does the rebuild kit come with new rubber boots?

foggy45Jun-12-07 09:07 PM
1032 posts,
#30526, "RE: suggestions for removing pistons from dual piston caliper?"
In response to Reply # 4
Jun-12-07 09:09 PM by foggy45

yep!
pretty much the entire rebuild kit you can see on my table
rubber boot
keeper
and slider lube

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

RoninEclipse2GJun-13-07 06:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#30527, "RE: suggestions for removing pistons from dual piston caliper?"
In response to Reply # 5

for polishing go get some crocus cloth, it's like 5000 grit sandpaper designed for polishing rod journals, I can't remember where I got it last time. in a pinch some 2000 grit will do just fine, or you can get brake caliper hones at most parts stores that attach to a cordless drill.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30519 Previous topic | Next topic