Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27927
View in threaded mode

Subject: "17x7 225/45/17?????" Previous topic | Next topic
jas315aSep-11-05 05:40 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2005
7 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27927, "17x7 225/45/17?????"

I recently got some 17x7 rims with +40 offset. My question is will 225/45/17 tires fit with no problems, rubbing etc...?? Also my car is lowered with the eibach pro kit and has the DIY rear camber correction done. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanx

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
CarbonFiberRSTSep-11-05 06:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27928, "RE: 17x7 225/45/17?????"
In response to Reply # 0

I have that setup with prokits and all and mine hits the rear fender. I am pretty sure if you roll that little lip there won't be any problems. Havn't done it yet though cause I only took one trip with them on my car before I parked it for the rebuild. Also my wheels have a 42mm offset.

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TalontaxiSep-11-05 07:35 PM
Member since Jul 14th 2004
201 posts,
#27929, "RE: 17x7 225/45/17?????"
In response to Reply # 0

why a 225? The look? Your not really gonna gain much performance over a 215 because the wheels not wide enough for the tire to exercise its full contact potential, you should have a 7.5 or 8.

WickedESiSep-12-05 10:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#27930, "RE: 17x7 225/45/17?????"
In response to Reply # 2
Sep-12-05 10:40 AM by WickedESi

Ignoring the rubbing issue, you shouldn't go over 215/45 on a 7" wide wheel for safty reasons (and it will handle bad).

215/45/17's are best for traction (lots of meat) and looks (fills the wheel well)

205/40/17's are best for handling (less sidewall flex) and acceleration when already rolling (lighter)

I use the 215/45/17's.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

jas315aSep-12-05 12:29 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2005
7 posts,
#27932, "RE: 17x7 225/45/17?????"
In response to Reply # 3

ok thanx for all the help im gonna get the 215/45/17 instead.

CarbonFiberRSTSep-12-05 12:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#27933, "RE: 17x7 225/45/17?????"
In response to Reply # 4

I went with 225's in hopes of gaining some traction in 2nd. The tire manufacturer I went with suggests 7"-8.5" i think it was for these tires. So I figured it was ok...

DarkEclips96Sep-13-05 10:34 AM
Member since May 23rd 2005
399 posts,
#27939, "RE: 17x7 225/45/17?????"
In response to Reply # 5

Yea i have the 225/45/17 tires too. It came with the car so I wasnt gonna take them off. But I do get rubbing when I turn the wheels as far as they will go.

2002 WRX
Eclipse RS-T..sold

RxR_EclipseSep-14-05 02:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#27948, "RE: 17x7 225/45/17?????"
In response to Reply # 3

I use that same tire size, and I can say for a fact that the car is much better on the road with the wider tires. The turn in is a huge improvement. Of course I road race/autox my car regularly. If your just a daily driver and never race the car, then just go with the 215's. FYI I have sprint sport springs and had to roll the rear and I only have a 1.5" drop. No problems up front though.

buhaahhaa, I was just thinking how how much wheelspin I would have if I had less than a 225...jesus it would be funny. Its bad enough I can break loose 225's on the road course at over 50 mph...got to love boost and megasquirt.

Kevin
The old:

The new:

CarbonFiberRSTSep-21-05 09:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#27978, "RE: 17x7 225/45/17?????"
In response to Reply # 7
Sep-21-05 09:33 AM by CarbonFiberRST

Originally posted by RxR_Eclipse
I use that same tire size, and I can say for a fact that the car is much better on the road with the wider tires. The turn in is a huge improvement. Of course I road race/autox my car regularly. If your just a daily driver and never race the car, then just go with the 215's. FYI I have sprint sport springs and had to roll the rear and I only have a 1.5" drop. No problems up front though. buhaahhaa, I was just thinking how how much wheelspin I would have if I had less than a 225...jesus it would be funny. Its bad enough I can break loose 225's on the road course at over 50 mph...got to love boost and megasquirt.

I am glad to hear someone with experience with this setup make a post. I was worried cause i keep seeing posts about how 225's on 7" wheels was stupid and i'd have less traction. but those people probably never used this setup so that just goes to show ya... (I drove about 2 miles on mine before I pulled the motor so i have no idea personally)

EDIT: I also remember somebody saying the turn in would be alot worse... lol

WickedESiSep-21-05 11:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#27979, "RE: 17x7 225/45/17?????"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by CarbonFiberRST
Originally posted by RxR_Eclipse I use that same tire size, and I can say for a fact that the car is much better on the road with the wider tires. The turn in is a huge improvement. Of course I road race/autox my car regularly. If your just a daily driver and never race the car, then just go with the 215's. FYI I have sprint sport springs and had to roll the rear and I only have a 1.5" drop. No problems up front though. buhaahhaa, I was just thinking how how much wheelspin I would have if I had less than a 225...jesus it would be funny. Its bad enough I can break loose 225's on the road course at over 50 mph...got to love boost and megasquirt.
I am glad to hear someone with experience with this setup make a post. I was worried cause i keep seeing posts about how 225's on 7" wheels was stupid and i'd have less traction. but those people probably never used this setup so that just goes to show ya... (I drove about 2 miles on mine before I pulled the motor so i have no idea personally) EDIT: I also remember somebody saying the turn in would be alot worse... lol

Who said you would have less traction with a larger tire width? Turn in would be a worse, you're increasing the sidewall height when you increase the width at the same aspect ratio.

Mainly though this is why...

|____| /_____\

The first sketch is a tire width that fits the wheel width.
The second sketch is a tire width that is too wide for the wheel width.

So what, right?

Let me explain. You are now putting a torque force on the sidewall, even driving in a straight line. This causes roll in a turn, which causes the car's turning force to lift it literally off the ground since acceleration is pushing your car to the outside of the turn, and is now tilted toward the outside.

The reason it's not safe even in a straight line is because of the stretching of the tire when there is a force on it.

Get a 7.5" wheel minimum for 225's. The recommended is 8".

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

TalontaxiSep-21-05 12:23 PM
Member since Jul 14th 2004
201 posts,
#27980, "RE: 17x7 225/45/17?????"
In response to Reply # 9
Sep-21-05 12:24 PM by Talontaxi

Originally posted by WickedESi
Originally posted by CarbonFiberRST
Originally posted by RxR_Eclipse I use that same tire size, and I can say for a fact that the car is much better on the road with the wider tires. The turn in is a huge improvement. Of course I road race/autox my car regularly. If your just a daily driver and never race the car, then just go with the 215's. FYI I have sprint sport springs and had to roll the rear and I only have a 1.5" drop. No problems up front though. buhaahhaa, I was just thinking how how much wheelspin I would have if I had less than a 225...jesus it would be funny. Its bad enough I can break loose 225's on the road course at over 50 mph...got to love boost and megasquirt.
I am glad to hear someone with experience with this setup make a post. I was worried cause i keep seeing posts about how 225's on 7" wheels was stupid and i'd have less traction. but those people probably never used this setup so that just goes to show ya... (I drove about 2 miles on mine before I pulled the motor so i have no idea personally) EDIT: I also remember somebody saying the turn in would be alot worse... lol
Who said you would have less traction with a larger tire width? Turn in would be a worse, you're increasing the sidewall height when you increase the width at the same aspect ratio. Mainly though this is why... |____| /_____\ The first sketch is a tire width that fits the wheel width. The second sketch is a tire width that is too wide for the wheel width. So what, right? Let me explain. You are now putting a torque force on the sidewall, even driving in a straight line. This causes roll in a turn, which causes the car's turning force to lift it literally off the ground since acceleration is pushing your car to the outside of the turn, and is now tilted toward the outside. The reason it's not safe even in a straight line is because of the stretching of the tire when there is a force on it. Get a 7.5" wheel minimum for 225's. The recommended is 8".

Thank you for completly explaining that. And CarbonFiberRst,I have had experiance with both 7, 7.5 and 8 inch wheels running 215's and 225's.
225's on 7 inch wheels felt like poop and on 8's they felt solid, with minimal sidewall flex, I'm running a 7.5 now and it proves adequate but I'd prefer 8's. Even a 215/40 on a 7 inch wide wheel feels sorta squirmy for such a low profile.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27927 Previous topic | Next topic