Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26593
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Metal Sleeve In Strut Components!" Previous topic | Next topic
clipse2g95Mar-19-05 01:18 PM
Member since Jun 14th 2004
167 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26593, "Metal Sleeve In Strut Components!"

This little metal sleeve that holds on the in the middle of the rubber pieces that go on each end of the bump stop is stuck onto the thread on the strut end!! I've used two vice grips to try and pry it off, and I have wd-40 sitting on it now, but any ohter advice on getting them off! THanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
turbo8uMar-19-05 03:20 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26596, "RE: Metal Sleeve In Strut Components!"
In response to Reply # 0

what peice you talkin bout homeslice?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

clipse2g95Mar-20-05 05:58 AM
Member since Jun 14th 2004
167 posts,
#26601, "RE: Metal Sleeve In Strut Components!"
In response to Reply # 1

I think its 40281 (a metal sleeve? metal cylinder about 2 inches long) and its stuck on the metal rod that slides into the strut. Its stuck below the threads. This happened to one of the front struts but I got it off. It happened to both of the back struts and its impossible to get off.

thedawgMar-21-05 06:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#26615, "RE: Metal Sleeve In Strut Components!"
In response to Reply # 2

Dremel. Cutting wheel.

Pitchblack98Mar-21-05 08:51 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
#26617, "RE: Metal Sleeve In Strut Components!"
In response to Reply # 3

Doesn't it have a split in it on one side. Mine did and I just used a flat head screw drivers and a hammer to pry it open a bit to get it off. If not cut a slit in it and do it that way. You will need that part to put it back together so don't destroy it unless you want to buy another one.

WickedESiMar-23-05 09:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#26651, "RE: Metal Sleeve In Strut Components!"
In response to Reply # 4

I used a torch, a hammer, and a flathead to get my friend's (who's got stuck) off.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

ModeratorEvuLFleAMar-23-05 10:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#26652, "RE: Metal Sleeve In Strut Components!"
In response to Reply # 5

I had that get stuck on 1 strut once. It was a pain in the butt but some pounding and vice grips got it off.

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26593 Previous topic | Next topic