Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26438
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
got_NXFeb-24-05 08:05 AM
Member since Dec 22nd 2004
225 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26438, "Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"

Has anyone have or heard anyone having problems with rotor seating against hub with these kits? I have them and there is a 1/4" gap between hat and the hub. My hub is beyond clean..so that isn't the problem. I called AEM they don't want to talk to me. Power Slot bought the design from AEM and now they make them. So anyone with any info on these or if you had problems please post.

Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
PowerEclipsesFeb-24-05 02:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26439, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 0

the only problem i had was the dust shields rubbing, i had to bend the shit out of them back.

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MCubed45Feb-24-05 03:03 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#26440, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 1

i had the exact same problem. the shop ended up grinding the hub a bit to get it to seat. sadly it never seated properly and eventually my rotors were warped as fuck. long story short i now i have race concept rotors. AEM's are a waste of money. i was stupid. the whole concept is kinda stupid when you think about it. spacing the caliper farther out to fit an oversized rotor while still using the stock calipers?

the pads aren't even fully on the rotor. how dumb is that. if you want big brakes get a real kit or stick with GSX calipers and upgraded rotors IMO.

-marc

thedawgMar-07-05 07:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#26483, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 2
Mar-07-05 07:57 AM by thedawg

You put the dogbone spacer bracket on backwards.

I have GSX calipers, AEM 12.5" rotors, on a FWD. They fit fine, and are most definitely not a waste of money.

MCubed45Mar-10-05 11:30 AM
2706 posts,
#26502, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 3
Mar-10-05 11:36 AM by MCubed45

Originally posted by thedawg
You put the dogbone spacer bracket on backwards. I have GSX calipers, AEM 12.5" rotors, on a FWD. They fit fine, and are most definitely not a waste of money.

no it's not the spacer bracket. this has nothing to do with caliper placement. the hat of the rotor did not seat comletely on my car. he's having the same problem. i'm not sure if it's a manufacturing problem or if it's a model/year difference in our hub assemblies. i posted many times with questions when i was having the problems but got no helpful info. AEM said the same thign to me. i bought my kit from RRE and they weren't too helpful either. they pretty much said "it fit on our cars".

i say if you can't get it to fit perfectly RETURN IT NOW. it'll get worse over time and you'll be out about $350 or so when you have to replace them. even if my kit had worked perfectly, in retrospect i wish i had not gone that route. just the fact that the brake pads are not completely on the rotor seems kinda ridiculous to me. you are DECREASING the contact area. perhaps this is offset by the increased torque created by increased the moment arm but still. when the over hang area of the pad breaks off it will rub against the outer edge of the rotor. this is irritating as fuck.

if you want big brakes get a REAL kit (brembo, wilwood, stoptech, etc). if you're on a budget get GSX calipers and upgraded stock size rotors. i'm sure the AEM kit functions a lot better if you purchase their calipers but at that point you're on the same price level as the other brands.

-marc

ModeratorjuanMar-10-05 01:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#26504, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 4

I have the AEM FWD setup too, and it was actually installed at AEM (since they were developing the v2 CAI on my car at the time).

Anyway, I haven't had any problems with it. They did have to do some grinding (on the hub I guess, I didn't see it). Maybe this is an issue for the AWD setup though - I don't know.

While I have not used this setup on the track, for street driving it was definitely an improvement. Modulation control is increased, allowing one to achieve theshhold braking easier. Unless you do track driving or extreme canyon runs, IMO it is a good solution.

And they look mad kool, yo!

juan

thedawgMar-16-05 06:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#26563, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-16-05 06:55 AM by thedawg

Originally posted by MCubed45
the hat of the rotor did not seat comletely on my car.
if you want big brakes get a REAL kit

Are you trying to install the rotors with the OEM dust shields in place? Obviously you have to remove the dust shield, its made to fit around and over a tiny rotor. You do this for ALL 12"+ brake kits.

If the rotor is not seating against the hub, its hitting something. Figure out what. There is zero manufacturing or model year differences, ALL the hubs are the same.

The overhang of the pad in my case was under 1mm. The pad never broke off, and never rubs. Its so thin I can just tear it off with my fingers once the pads are worn down.

MCubed45 I realize you had a bad experience, but that doesn't mean the AEMs are a bad choice. If you can't afford a "real" brake kit like wilwood or stoptech, but want a mid-grade solution, AEMs kit is excellent. Clearly you have higher requirements, and the money to purchase better quality. Not everyone does.

Bottom line: If they dont fit right, you're installing them wrong.

MCubed45Mar-26-05 03:05 PM
2706 posts,
#26672, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 6
Mar-26-05 03:11 PM by MCubed45

yea i know my dust shields were already trimmed. there was nothing else that could possible interfere with the hat seating flush. to emphasize the point i suppose i could remove that hat from the rotor (being that it's a 2 piece design) and then try to mounting just the hat onto the hub...

it's not a problem with the dust shield. it's not a problem with the spacer bracket. trust me i've been over it many many times. it's not a problem with receiving the wrong parts. i verified all the PN's with AEM. with my car the hat simply did not sit flush on the hub even after some grinding and cleaning. it could be forced on with some hammering but that is not something you should have to do.

i'm glad you guys did not have problems but i did. it sounds like this guy is having the exact same problem. if anyone wants to fly out here and prove that i'm a dumbass and just installed it wrong then fine. bottom line is that the product did not fit as it was supposed to on MY car. i would not want to take my chances again with $350 on a product that MIGHT fit. i do not have the money for a high end braking system, but if i had not purchased the AEM's in the first place i would be that much closer to being able to afford one.

i bought raceconcept rotors to replace my AEM's and they slipped on with no problem whatsoever. if it's an isolated problem with my car i would think i would have problems using ANY rotor made for our cars. maybe it's a problem with the manufacturing tolerances of the hats at AEM. maybe it's really the wrong rotor packaged in a box for our cars. i don't know. what i do know is that it did not fit like it should. it's a close fit, but being close when it comes to brakes is not good enough for me.

anyways, telling this guy that you guys had no problems on YOUR cars doesn't really help him much... i had the same experience as him so i'm merely suggesting to him what i wish i had done - return them while you can. do not use them if they do not fit. if you've already checked everything suggested - dust shield, bracket, etc. just save yourself the headache and some warped rotors in the future. do what you go to, but get a refund.

-marc

got_NXMar-28-05 03:24 PM
Member since Dec 22nd 2004
225 posts,
#26680, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 7

Let me explain this...It has nothing to do with the install. I completely removed dust shield. Now with no dust shield, caliper off car, and all studs removed. I place rotor on to hub and through the stud holes you can completely see that rotor does not seat against hub. There is a 1/4" gap. RRE is working with me on the matter. If no satisfaction there I will seek help from BBB about getting my money back. I purchased a product for my car that is to work and it doesn't, plus since it is something impotant like my breaks it is unsafe to be using.

I also called AEM they told me they no longer make them. Well I could give a shit less that they no longer make them. The ones I have they made so it's there problem. They told me to call power slot who makes them now...guess what power slot change the design. I wonder why?

thedawgMar-29-05 10:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#26685, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 8

Neither of you have said what the rotor is hitting that causes the rotor not to seat on the hub.

If you can't see what's interfering with the rotor by looking at it from behind the hub, maybe you could place some modelling clay on obvious things like brackets, hub, wheel studs, suspension arms that it might be hitting.

Its not like the rotor's just floating there in thin air, refusing to mount onto the hub. Something is in the way. Find out what. Post.

MCubed45Mar-29-05 10:52 AM
2706 posts,
#26686, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 9
Mar-29-05 10:56 AM by MCubed45

Originally posted by thedawg
Neither of you have said what the rotor is hitting that causes the rotor not to seat on the hub. If you can't see what's interfering with the rotor by looking at it from behind the hub, maybe you could place some modelling clay on obvious things like brackets, hub, wheel studs, suspension arms that it might be hitting. Its not like the rotor's just floating there in thin air, refusing to mount onto the hub. Something is in the way. Find out what. Post.

in my case the hat just didn't fit on the hub. as in the hub was slightly too big or the hat was slight too small. it had nothing to do with the rest of the rotor, it was purely an issue with the hat. that's why i mentioned i could probably remove the hat and mount it by itself to prove my point...

i'm not sure how much more specific i can be aside from finding out what part of the inner circumference of the hat is making contact with the hub... if you look very closely inside your hat there is a VERY slight lip. it's right around that area. i have no clue why that lip is there as it does not correspond to the shape of the hub.

-marc

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26438 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic