Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #24806
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Drum Brakes........." Previous topic | Next topic
DracasJul-20-04 02:21 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2004
330 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24806, "Drum Brakes........."

Ok, I did alot of searching on this. I found a few things, but nothing directly answered what I was trying to figure out.

So, I decided to go out and clean/paint my drum covers. I did the Drivers side, no problem. I turned the car around, and went to start on the passenger side. Ok, I started spinning it so that I could clean it. Then it just suddenly felt like someone hit the brakes. I put my other hand on it and turned really hard and it moved, then it went back to spinning freely. As soon as it got back around to that area, it did the same thing.

I have noticed here lately that when i start to go, I hear a pop from the rear passenger side. I found a post about that. I seen something about a warped rotor. But I didn't see if that was the actual problem or not.

So, does it sound like a warped rotor, or could the pad be in wrong, or could it be the ebrake being adjusted wrong.

I have a 97' RS.

Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
DracasJul-21-04 06:35 AM
330 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24813, "RE: Drum Brakes........."
In response to Reply # 0

Bump

Today didn't prove to help me any, I was coming home, and something decided to peirce the pass front tire.... so I had to pull over and put my spare on... Today is wonderful...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

injendsmJul-21-04 07:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6844 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24814, "RE: Drum Brakes........."
In response to Reply # 1

how can you have a warped rotor on a drum brake setup?

www.gregsorrells.com

http://ubanimator.com>

mcgyvrJul-21-04 08:20 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24815, "RE: Drum Brakes........."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by injendsm

he he he he ^^ Iwas just about to write that too

the passenger side has the emergency brake, that could be why

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

DracasJul-21-04 10:06 AM
330 posts,
#24818, "RE: Drum Brakes........."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by injendsm

lol, I actually thought of that after I said it. I've never really messed with drum brakes. I think I said it because of something I seen on another post. Oh, well. I am a n00b. It seems like something is warped or uneven though. I'll check the ebrake out though. First I have to get this stupid flat repaired. Thanks.

Kaoz78Jul-21-04 11:03 AM
Member since Dec 20th 2003
407 posts,
#24819, "RE: Drum Brakes........."
In response to Reply # 4

I would say to have the drum machined to see if maybe it has a hump in it somewhere. This would be way to cheaper to do than getting a new one. Or if you have the money just get another one, that would make the painting easier anyway. But I would for sure have that drum looked at by someone who can turn it.

eclipse_99rsJul-21-04 11:16 AM
Member since Apr 11th 2002
2659 posts,
#24820, "RE: Drum Brakes........."
In response to Reply # 5

I say who cares the drum breaks are next to useless anyways. I havnt checked mine in 50k.

myspace.com/coastiecobb

DracasJul-21-04 11:17 AM
330 posts,
#24821, "RE: Drum Brakes........."
In response to Reply # 5

I'll try to have it looked at sometime soon. Right now money is tight, and I'm about to have to buy books for college.

DracasJul-21-04 11:19 AM
330 posts,
#24822, "RE: Drum Brakes........."
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by eclipse_99rs
I say who cares the drum breaks are next to useless anyways. I havnt checked mine in 50k.

lol, It's not that I'm worried about it, its just annoying, and makes a weird noise. However its usually drowed out by the rattling of my hood, the drivers side window, something under me, and my exhaust whistling.

Kaoz78Jul-21-04 01:23 PM
Member since Dec 20th 2003
407 posts,
#24823, "RE: Drum Brakes........."
In response to Reply # 7

Ya know after thinking about it. Take that drum off and turn the hub with a screw driver between the lugs and see if it still has that tough spot. If it doesn't then I say it is indeed a drum that needs replaced or machined.If it still does the same thing call and see what a rearr hub assembly costs. Cause I bet you have a flat spot in your bearing.

MCubed45Jul-25-04 12:59 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#24853, "RE: Drum Brakes........."
In response to Reply # 9
Jul-25-04 01:00 AM by MCubed45

the ebrake is connected to both sides (with drum brakes). not sure about disc brakes.

what year are you? be careful ordering parts if you're a 95. there's a whole shitload of changes in the drum brake parts mid-95. major PITA. changes in the drum, pads, cylinder, and some other stuff.

*edit*
nevermind. read you're a 97
but for any 95 drum brake people be aware of the differences

-marc

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #24806 Previous topic | Next topic