Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #22471
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Brand new clunking drums, woohoo!" Previous topic | Next topic
BRU_ceFeb-14-04 04:35 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2003
1457 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22471, "Brand new clunking drums, woohoo!"

My rear drums began squeaking last month, and I was sick of hearing them sing like an opera singer, so I decided to just get new shoes for it and re-surface the drums.

I install the new shoes and the resurfaced drums and decide to take it out for a test drive. Well, now they no longer squeel but they do something even worse... they make a CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK sound every time I apply the brakes.

The clunking sound depends on the speed of the vehicle and the amount of force applied to the brakes. If I am going fast and apply the brakes hard, you will get a loud and fast clunking. If I am going slow and apply the brakes soft, the clunk will be softer and slower.

in other words...

Going fast, braking hard: CLUNK*CLUNK*CLUNK*CLUNK*CLUNK

Going slow, braking soft: clunk****clunk****clunk****clunk...

and all variatons thereof.

I even took disassembled the drums again and looked at them ever so carefully and I could not find ANYTHING wrong.

WTF is going on!?

Oh no! My sig died! I'll get another one.
Member and Co-Founder of FLDSM

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Pitchblack98Feb-14-04 06:01 PM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22472, "RE: Brand new clunking drums, woohoo!"
In response to Reply # 0

they are crying out for a rear disc conversion... lol seriously though i have no idea... free bump

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MCubed45Feb-14-04 10:08 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#22474, "RE: Brand new clunking drums, woohoo!"
In response to Reply # 1

can ya describe the clunk? is it like metal on metal?

-marc

BRU_ceFeb-15-04 01:44 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2003
1457 posts,
#22484, "RE: Brand new clunking drums, woohoo!"
In response to Reply # 2

No doesn't really sound like metal on metal... I have no fucking CLUE what it could be, as I checked and re-checked the thing 3 times and it looks perfect to me! It's kinda driving me nuts.

Every time I try to improve my car, it gets worse

It's a hollow kind of clunk. I am racking my brain trying to think of words to describe it but I can't. It just.. clunks

Oh no! My sig died! I'll get another one.
Member and Co-Founder of FLDSM

95_ESi_PersonFeb-15-04 04:25 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#22486, "RE: Brand new clunking drums, woohoo!"
In response to Reply # 3

It's me, I'm hiding underneath your car beating on your rear suspension like Sideshow Bob.. j/k another free bump!

I'm not sure what your problem is...

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #22471 Previous topic | Next topic