Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #20079
View in threaded mode

Subject: "What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic
mitiftoSep-21-03 04:09 PM
Member since Jul 20th 2002
906 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#20079, "What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"

I looked at a strut tower for 20 bucks on ebay alloy. Is there anything wrong with them?? What is the diffrence between the 100 dollar ones to 20 dollar ones. Thanx

Your Garage is not worthy
For the Masterpiece you built
That only looks like it cost a Fortune
While most flaunt their cars by going fast
You show off Standing Still

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Amish_EclipseSep-21-03 04:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#20082, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 0

strut towers suck in general. crappy mod unless you connect to the firewall. in the front.

only possible issues i could see would be would be crappy material like thin hollow bar or something.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

NackersSep-21-03 04:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1912 posts,
#20084, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 1

Brand names... brand names. Thats why they are so cheap according to some people I have talked to. Also, ebay mostly has the turbo braces so everytime you change your oil you have to take your brace off to get to the filler cap...

www.ChicagoArea240sx.Editboard.com

MotoFoolSep-21-03 10:01 PM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#20099, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 2

ebay one i can flex with my hands and u probably wont even notice a difference...

a good strut tower will not flex... and would be adjustble but i havent found one that i like yet there that really expensive bar that shows up on ebay every now anda again....

Bill

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

BuckNuttySep-22-03 01:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#20103, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 3

i have the cheapy bars...you can notice a difference with them in. I figure that all teh adjustable bars would have some flex anyway and that the best bang for the buck would be these, IMO.

MotoFoolSep-22-03 04:33 AM
2103 posts,
#20107, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 4

put one on scotts car while we were at the shop we didn't notice a damn thing...

Bill

BuckNuttySep-22-03 04:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#20108, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 5

>put one on scotts car while we were at the shop we didn't
>notice a damn thing...

Scott also has an uber setup for suspension as is. It helped with my coil overs and shit struts. I never really realized it did anything till i had it in for a while and then took it off. I drove without it and i could feel that it wasn't there. Thing is, i didn't know it was off, so the placebo effect wouldn't be the cause here. I was doing sumthin under the car while a friend finished up under the hood. He never put the strut bar backl on.

In short, the people with less-then-uber suspension set ups (BuckNutty) will notice a lil difference. People with uber set ups (Scott) won't notice much, if any, difference at all.

MotoFoolSep-22-03 03:25 PM
2103 posts,
#20112, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 6

when i posted that i for a few mins forgot scott had Teins dunno why... i agree with your statement though bucknutty =)

LeakyMitsuSep-22-03 04:31 PM
Member since Nov 15th 2002
311 posts,
#20113, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 7

IMO...nothing is wrong with them. my friend bought a DC sport strut bar that was like 150$ for his integra and i have the 15 dollar e bay deal...mine definitely flexed less and is made much better, although it isnt as flashy. as for getting the oil cap off, mine just barely squeezes through when the strut bar is on, but i can get it off, so im not complaining.
Brandon

CoprEklipzSep-23-03 03:14 AM
Member since May 23rd 2003
614 posts,
#20114, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 8

Guys, uber suspension or not (thanks for the compliments though ), the one and only thing that makes a strut bar useful/less is its flexibility, or lack thereof. The reason the strut bars on ebay are so cheap are because they're made with really weak materials, they're adjustable, so that further eliminates their effectiveness, and while you might get some gains, the gains you'll get from a solid, no-to-little flex bar with no adjustability or weak spots are far more noticeable and worth it. To be honest, you may feel a slight gain with the ebay bars, but they're really more for show.

If you want a good strut bar that will actually help the car's handling (which, by the way, due to the physics, strut bars should really improve upon, by eliminating the flex the strut towers experience when load is placed on them in corners), find a solid bar that bolts right up specifically designed for our cars. There's a handful on ebay that fit this description, hayame makes one, and hurricane...well, we won't go down that road.

Expect to pay at least 100 bucks for a USEFUL EFFECTIVE strut bar. Otherwise, just by the ebay ones for looks...

sonny bkSep-23-03 05:50 PM
Member since Jun 23rd 2002
1171 posts,
#20124, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 9

$20=better turning

I'd buy em again. Made the best handling mod for the least buck.

Ya can't go wrong for 20 bucks...and for someone who says it doesn't do anything...ride my car with it on and off and tell me you don't feel a difference.

I'm scared to drive without it. No joke.

WTB:
--bolt on turbo kit (star, hahn, etc.)
--rear drum to disc set up
--internals
---------------HOLLA!!!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #20079 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic