Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #1914
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Spring Compressor Necessary???" Previous topic | Next topic
phatGSApr-21-01 04:48 PM
Old School 2GNTer
541 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1914, "Spring Compressor Necessary???"

Is the Spring Compressor absolutely necessary for removing stock springs/struts?

Brandon
'95 GS, Auto.
AEM CAI w/ bypass
Pilot FU STB
Best ET: 17.243 @ 80.67 mph

Brandon
'95 GS, Auto.
AEM Cold Air w/ bypass valve
Front Upper Strut Brace
Maxspeed coilovers

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
DSMRoadsterApr-23-01 06:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1915, "RE: Spring Compressor Necessary???"
In response to Reply # 0

It's a safety net. I thought it was worth it plus it made taking apart the stock shox assembly so much easier.
F.K.A Veasna97NT

intricatelines.com/ -graphics and vinyls

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamJasonESi_TApr-23-01 08:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#1916, "nope..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm just about finished installing Ryan_RS's and have already done my own. In neither case was it necessary to use one.

Just turn the suspension upside down to the ground and apply some pressure as you're loosening the top bolt(which now faces the ground). Once it's undone, the spring will pop some, but not a lot. Not more than 30lbs of unsprung pressure I would guess. The rear suspensions hardly pops at all. It would be absolutely ridiculous to use a spring compressor on the rears. It has to be less than 10 lbs of spring pressure.

Good Luck!

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)/Custom FMIC

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

John99RSApr-23-01 10:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#1917, "RE: nope..."
In response to Reply # 2

Like Jason said....I didn't use one at all either. I just put the strut assembly on the ground, put a heavy duty blanket over it and went to town with an impact wrench. It hardly even popped...I was surprised.

John
AOL IM: John99RS
john99rs@hotmail.com
http://johnseclipse.homestead.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

phatGSApr-23-01 01:45 PM
Old School 2GNTer
541 posts,
#1918, "RE: nope..."
In response to Reply # 3

Well, me and a friend installed my maxspeed coilovers on sunday, and didn't use a spring compressor at all. Took us about 5-6 hours (used impact wrench some for taking apart). I just wish the fronts were as easy as the rears...lol. Time for that $15 camber mod (actually, cost me 30 bucks just for the bolts, washers, and loctite for this mod, gonna do it tomorrow or next day).

Brandon
'95 GS, Auto.
AEM CAI w/ bypass
Maxspeed Coilovers
Pilot FU STB
Best ET: 17.243 @ 80.67 mph

Brandon
'95 GS, Auto.
AEM Cold Air w/ bypass valve
Front Upper Strut Brace
Maxspeed coilovers

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #1914 Previous topic | Next topic