Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19067
View in threaded mode

Subject: "weight reductions ...what else can be done" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic
ThE oRACLeJul-23-03 05:59 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1135 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19067, "weight reductions ...what else can be done"

ive been a big advocate of the theory of power to weight.. heres what i have out so far

Rear seat - upper and lower
mostly all trunk plastic
hatch cover
rear seat belts
spare tire
jack
rug
front seat (when i feel like having it out)
driver side sound deadning (passenger was left to balance the weight)

now in about a year or so when i get a daily driver .. im going to be removing the a/c piping compressor and belt line which should save about 40 lbs im guessing and with the belt removed ..5 hp tops .. anything else that i over looked ... besides a relocation kit for the battery

oRACLe's 1997 RS

ThE oRACLe says: "I've got some yellow liquid for your popcorn ... and its non-dairy .."

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
TeamDR1665Jul-23-03 06:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19068, "RE: weight reductions ...what else can be done"
In response to Reply # 0

I've heard of some people removing the bumper braces or something like that, but I don't think they're really that heavy for the benefit they provide.

Have you considered lighter, forged wheels? Also, I've always been curious if anyone's actually purchased those CF body parts from Squid yet. Damn they look tasty. })

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Eagle 5Jul-23-03 06:34 AM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
479 posts,
#19070, "RE: weight reductions ...what else can be done"
In response to Reply # 1

go on a diet...

"Shop smart, shop S-Mart!" ~ Ash
Member # 1523

ThE oRACLeJul-23-03 06:50 AM
1135 posts,
#19071, "RE: weight reductions ...what else can be done"
In response to Reply # 2
Jul-23-03 06:53 AM by ThE oRACLe

i recently got a pair of c5's from katana (racing hart imatations) those are on now and are actually bigger(17")than my cheesy white rims ... the funny thing was ... they were lighter ... when they put them on the scale at the tire shop they were actually 4 pounds lighter than the 16's if u can belive that .. they came out to 27 lbs with tire inflated .. the 16's were 31 on the digi scale ... so i saved close to 20 lbs.. i havent seen anything on the squid parts ... do u have a link ? i currently have the fiber glass z3 fenders those should save about 7lbs each side (not installed yet im wary about putting them on .)

im 180lbs and 5 10 ...noway am i losing weight ..lol honestly a great weight reduction would be remote control ~~!@!~~

oRACLe's 1997 RS

ThE oRACLe says: "I've got some yellow liquid for your popcorn ... and its non-dairy .."

Eagle 5Jul-23-03 06:57 AM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
479 posts,
#19072, "RE: weight reductions ...what else can be done"
In response to Reply # 3

ok. im 170 and 5'10"...i just need to make my fat muscle

but anyway..

remove the carpet completely maybe. if you can handle no AC, remove all teh ac stuff, switch to a manual rack.. those last 2 will save lots of weight but you sacrifice some for it.

"Shop smart, shop S-Mart!" ~ Ash
Member # 1523

a_miller_76Jul-23-03 07:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#19074, "RE: weight reductions ...what else can be done"
In response to Reply # 4

http://www.squidskins.com/

ThE oRACLeJul-23-03 08:14 AM
1135 posts,
#19075, "RE: weight reductions ...what else can be done"
In response to Reply # 5

rug is out ... the loudest interior ever ... god forbid a rock goes under my car ..or i hit a deep puddle ..lol ill look into this more and let u guys know whats new ... do u think they will let me weigh my car at a truck weigh station ?

oRACLe's 1997 RS

EcLIpsInEmCEe7Jul-23-03 09:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1607 posts,
#19076, "RE: weight reductions ...what else can be done"
In response to Reply # 6

cf hood?

-matt

97 Eclipse GS-T with 6-bolt engine

RemyJul-23-03 11:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#19079, "RE: weight reductions ...what else can be done"
In response to Reply # 7

Reduction:
Take off stock wing
change stock hood and fenders
take off door panels
air bags
glove box
ac and power steering
center console

Thats about it.

a_miller_76Jul-23-03 11:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#19080, "RE: weight reductions ...what else can be done"
In response to Reply # 8

I had my entire interior out of the car...dash, airbags, all plastic....radio, the whole nine yards. I had to go to autozone for something so on the way I gunned it to see if I could feel the difference. NO.....my conclusion is an ugly interior is not worth whatever miniscule gain you would get.

MotoFoolJul-23-03 11:32 AM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#19081, "RE: weight reductions ...what else can be done"
In response to Reply # 8

i can provide u with brackes that lighten the car 10-15lbs per wheel,

squid skins can provide u with near 800lbs in reduction with their body panels...

hatch.

flexalite windows (polymer)

lighter battery...
racing seats

remove washer fluid

aluminum radiator..

remove windsheild wipers

depends on how crazy u want to go mang....

hit me up and i can discuss some of this with you...

Bill

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19067 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic