Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #10748
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Have you noticed any difference in braking ability with slotted and/or drilled rotors?" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
SquidJul-13-02 11:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10748, "Poll question: Have you noticed any difference in braking ability with slotted and/or drilled rotors?"

-J

Poll result (0 votes)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
SquidJul-13-02 11:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10749, "Any difference?"
In response to Reply # 0

Perhaps I’ve been over thinking this (Proof I’ve been over thinking this:

I’ve got the flu, hence why I’m doing engineering equations on a Saturday night. I’m usually not this pathetic.)

I’m thinking of ordering the www.raceconcepts.net slotted and dimpled rotor, but after seeing this picture mcgyvr posted

of the rotors I’m worried that too much of the surface area of the rotors has been removed. The braking torque is directly proportional to the contact area between the brake pad and rotor. How much of the surface area has been removed I don’t know. Is it enough to make a difference? My car will never see track use so the slots and dimples are strictly cosmetic. I don’t want to decrease the stopping ability of my car for the sake of looks. The “cheese grater” effect of the slots that some people have talked about before will only be there for a short period of time because eventually the slot edges will become rounded.

-J

-J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

HadesOmegaJul-13-02 08:30 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#10750, "to early to tell"
In response to Reply # 0

it's too early to tell, i was expecting the pedal to be firmer and have better bite but it seem to brake like stock but seems to fade less. So it must be doing its job. I think these stock pads stink though, I saw smoke coming out of them after I stopped off the road after mountain racing... I want my metal master back

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

SquidJul-14-02 11:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
#10751, "I think I was wrong"
In response to Reply # 2

Bump

But let me also add I gave this some more thought and my initial thoughts were wrong. The force applied to the brake pad is determined by the cross section of the brake piston, so regardless of what size the contact patch is between the pad and the rotor the force will be the same. So in theory loss of contact area will have no affect of braking ability. But to quote Homer Simpson: "In theory communism works."

I still would like to know what your personal experience has been with slotted and/or drilled rotors.

-J

ModeratorVX100Jul-15-02 01:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#10752, "RE: I think I was wrong"
In response to Reply # 3

I noticed an improvement with the powerslot rotors. My car defenitely works better than stock.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

mcgyvrJul-15-02 02:33 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#10753, "RE: I think I was wrong"
In response to Reply # 4

I just put the raceconcepts on, (perfect fit by the way) and the braking is much better that with stock, much better, I also have some nice carbon/metallic pads (Autozone with lifetime warranty when they are gone I get new ones free) total cost to greatly improve braking 100 for rotors and 49 for pads. Money WELL spent.

Hades the pedal feel/braking will increase after a little time, I put 500 highway miles on this weekend and on the way back I noticed the braking has improved greatly. No brake fade what so ever.

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

250lemansJul-15-02 05:42 AM
Member since Jul 11th 2002
257 posts,
#10754, "RE: I think I was wrong"
In response to Reply # 5

i have a slotted and drilled brembo with ceramic pads and i noticed a great improvement over stock even my mechanic who drives my car from time to time noticed it
to someone saying that ebay stuff is b/s i bought this on ebay for 130 shipped can't beat that

fatchanceJul-15-02 07:44 AM
Member since May 08th 2002
761 posts,
#10755, "major OT"
In response to Reply # 6

what was the symbol in the final equation?

1995 RS
new engine, I think I'm just going to leave it stock now.

SquidJul-15-02 08:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
#10756, "RE: major OT"
In response to Reply # 7

The squiggly looking thing? Proportional
Or the three points? Therefore

-J

Teameclipse804Jul-15-02 11:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#10757, "RE: major OT"
In response to Reply # 8

Try bleeding your brake fluid and gettin metal master pads first. Get valvoline syntec brake fluid. That will make a difference in that it will be firmer. The slotted or cross drilled rotors don't really make a difference for the typical driver, who doesn't fade their brakes mnuch. It would make a bigger difference at the track. It looks good though. If you want a real bigger difference in braking, get a big brake kit (AEM, Wilwood etc).

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

LS1Z28ChrisJul-17-02 03:24 AM
Member since Mar 31st 2002
866 posts,
#10758, "RE: I think I was wrong"
In response to Reply # 3

>Bump
>
>But let me also add I gave this some more thought and my
>initial thoughts were wrong. The force applied to the brake
>pad is determined by the cross section of the brake piston,
>so regardless of what size the contact patch is between the
>pad and the rotor the force will be the same. So in theory
>loss of contact area will have no affect of braking ability.
>But to quote Homer Simpson: "In theory communism works."
>
>I still would like to know what your personal experience has
>been with slotted and/or drilled rotors.

That is inaccurate. If you increase your pad's contact with the rotor, you will increase stopping power. It's simple physics. More friction=better stopping.

Any reduction in contact area because of drilled and sloted rotors would be trivial. Besides, when you swap out your rotors you'll probably be upgrading to a pad with a better compound anyway, so any minimal loss would be offset by the pad.

Chris

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
***Mod List*Dyno Chart*Timeslips***
http://www.geocities.com/ls1z28chris/sig.htm

***Full Website***
http://www.geocities.com/ls1z28chris

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
***Mod List*Dyno Chart*Timeslips***
http://www.geocities.com/ls1z28chris/sig.htm

***Full Website***
http://www.geocities.com/ls1z28chris

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #10748 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic