Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3392
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Cold Start Issues" Previous topic | Next topic
AggressionSep-04-07 01:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3392, "Cold Start Issues"

For some reason I can't get my cold start settings right. Ever since I got back from the shootout my cold start has been rough. I will start the car and it runs really lean and shuts off. Start it again and does the same thing. Start it again and it runs really rough on the verge of stalling, but doesn't and runs rough and lean until 160*.

What also gets me is even when I change the warmup wizard and ASE settings it does do anything to the idle/A/F ratios condition.

I was wondering if you could show me screen shots of your settings and or email me (goodgrieff_99@yahoo.com) your msq so I could take a look at those along with a few other settings as well.

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi
- 97 eclipse gs (289whp w/ 276tq)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
WickedESiSep-04-07 11:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3394, "RE: Cold Start Issues"
In response to Reply # 0

Kinda sounds like your O2 sensor is misleading you. Sounds like you're getting an idle misfire/partial misfire for whatever reason (possible too rich), which is putting unburnt O2 down your pipe.

I'm going to post my .msq and screens of the key parts later tonight when I'm home. Mine seems to be different from the one's I've seen, and my plugs come out spanking clean every 3k miles.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AggressionSep-06-07 02:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#3397, "RE: Cold Start Issues"
In response to Reply # 1

Yah post it up...something is going wrong here. And why would an idle after warmup drop form 15.4 to 13.2 for no reason? This is just amazingly crazy to me right now.

My car hasn't run even close to smooth since I've installed this MS&S. I need someone with a setup close to mine to send me their MSQ file so I can try it and review the differences between mine and theirs.

I am BEGGING HERE!

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi

WickedESiSep-06-07 04:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#3402, "RE: Cold Start Issues"
In response to Reply # 2
Sep-06-07 04:48 PM by WickedESi

Yo, sorry I haven't got back to you sooner. I've been really busy, and haven't had a chance to upload till tonight. When I get some time I will post pics of my tables in the threads started for them.

mysterymeat.net/kard/93octane.msq

MSnS-E 029v (029q)
450cc Injectors, 52 PSI static fuel pressure, 170 PSI Compression
Stock cams, GT-28R, FMIC, BKR7E-11 plugs @ .028"

EGT's never go above 1450 w/ my spark table.

I recommend using my msq only as a reference file for your msq, and not actually try to flash it.

Good Luck!

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

AggressionSep-07-07 03:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#3403, "RE: Cold Start Issues"
In response to Reply # 3

thank you, I am going to take a look and compare.

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi

AggressionSep-07-07 03:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#3404, "RE: Cold Start Issues"
In response to Reply # 4

Could an alternater that is going bad cause some issues on start up and while at idle?

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi

WickedESiSep-07-07 07:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#3405, "RE: Cold Start Issues"
In response to Reply # 5
Sep-07-07 07:32 AM by WickedESi

Not likely. A quick way to tell would be to pull the generator fuse What's your idle voltage? Is it jumping around significantly?

Put your meter on AC voltage and measure across the battery terminals with the car running and make sure it's under .5v AC

Do you still have the stock IAC hooked up? Did you run vacuum lines to any of the car's stock emission controls that may be causing problems? Is your idle jumping between different VE bins with different values? All this can cause a bad idle.

xceler8Sep-13-07 01:39 PM
Member since Jun 03rd 2005
269 posts,
#3418, "RE: Cold Start Issues"
In response to Reply # 6

I had kinda a similar problem when I first installed it. On cold starts, it would take three times turnning it over for it to stay running. The first two it would kick and runig for like 2 seconds then die, then finally go. I had my warmup enrichments below 100 meaning it was subtracting fuel when it should be adding fuel to warmup. I have mine now to about 160 at the coldest setting on the scale and decrease by 5 every temp change. I used the same setting on someone else's car and his warms up just fine. You might also adjust your ve map around your idle bins to make it richer. My car likes to idle around 12 afr or so. Pm me if you have more q's. I will have my laptop back in a few days, that's where all my data is now, I'm just going off memory.

Peace-

Fully Built MS powered 99' GS Sport, Garrett T3/T04e 60 trim with one big ass intercooler!

Yeah, she runs...sorta!

AggressionSep-15-07 05:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#3422, "RE: Cold Start Issues"
In response to Reply # 7

Here is the thing...my A/F shoots past 17.9 so my gauge reads --- so it could be as high as 20 A/F...who knows.

No matter what if I change the setting in Warmup Enrich or ASE it does not effect the A/F ratio. Once the car warms up a bit it gets better but around 16.0 A/F. Once its fully warm it idles in the 13's.

During the warmup vac is at 15 and once its completely warmed up its at about 20.

I would like to get it running normal again before I convert it back to the SFMU.

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi

xceler8Sep-15-07 08:22 AM
Member since Jun 03rd 2005
269 posts,
#3423, "RE: Cold Start Issues"
In response to Reply # 8

If your afr is around 17-20 on warmup, then it's way too lean and that's why it's not running. Mine kicks after about two spins now and it warmsup at maybe 13.0 or so and idles nice and fat around 12 with my vacuum from 16.5-18. My vacuum really fluctuates with my afr, I'm pretty sure I have a leak off my intake mani-

Why you going sfmu? Your not selling it now are you?

Fully Built MS powered 99' GS Sport, Garrett T3/T04e 60 trim with one big ass intercooler!

Yeah, she runs...sorta!

AggressionSep-17-07 05:59 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#3427, "RE: Cold Start Issues"
In response to Reply # 9

I know I am running lean, but I can't fatten it up at all...thats what I am trying to tell you. No matter what I do it will not add more fuel for some reason.

Yes I plan on selling it after I get everything converted back to the SFMU. A lot of people can't use the MS so its not a good selling point!

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #3392 Previous topic | Next topic