Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #2952
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Tach Spikes and Resets... Did you know..." 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
WickedESiJan-28-07 01:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2952, "Tach Spikes and Resets... Did you know..."

That if you've bolted/screwed down (or simply letting touch) your Megasquirt to a metal surface in your car, you've created a ground loop through the housing, which I've proven can create resets and can also create random tach (and other sensor) spikes.

If you're suffering from this situation, throw a towel or something undeneither your now un-mounted Megasquirt, and take it for a drive!

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
ChamukoJan-28-07 05:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2953, "RE: Tach Spikes and Resets... Did you know..."
In response to Reply # 0

Figured as much, I coated mine with rubber undercar coating spray. Well the "feet" at least.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

WickedESiJan-29-07 04:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#2955, "RE: Tach Spikes and Resets... Did you know..."
In response to Reply # 1

Apparently the v2.2 board is completely isolated from the housing. The v3 board however is not.

This may be the sole reason people arn't having problems with the v2.2 board, but do with the v3 board.

I'd be weary about just the undercoating as protection, if you have metal screws clamping it down (over time it may ground out).

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

AggressionJan-29-07 04:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3025 posts,
#2957, "RE: Tach Spikes and Resets... Did you know..."
In response to Reply # 2

post pics of where you mounted your MS unit!

--------------------

- 05 Subaru STi
- 97 eclipse gs (289whp w/ 276tq)

ChamukoJan-29-07 08:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#2960, "RE: Tach Spikes and Resets... Did you know..."
In response to Reply # 3

Ill admit it, I have not bolted it down. Its so light that I just Strapped it down.

Member # 751

(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJan-29-07 12:28 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#2964, "RE: Tach Spikes and Resets... Did you know..."
In response to Reply # 4

Interesting Joel. This explains why i have never noticed any noise. mine is velcro taped down so it is isolated.

ChamukoJan-29-07 12:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#2965, "RE: Tach Spikes and Resets... Did you know..."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Interesting Joel. This explains why i have never noticed any noise. mine is velcro taped down so it is isolated.

yup. same here.

Member # 751

WickedESiJan-29-07 03:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#2966, "RE: Tach Spikes and Resets... Did you know..."
In response to Reply # 6

You can see where mine is mounted here.

http://www.mysterymeat.net/kard/phpAlbum/main.php?cmd=imageview&var1=Summer+2006+Build%2FIMG_0552.JPG&var2=1

Note... this pic has the MS hard mounted, I had the problems. It is now held in the same spot with a *generous* portion of industrial strength Velcro (use the velcro dual-loc, if you REALLY don't want it to go anywhere).

KirbyJan-31-07 07:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
#2981, "RE: Tach Spikes and Resets... Did you know..."
In response to Reply # 7

Well I know everyons says it doesn't happen on v2.2 boards but I am getting some bad tach spikes. I will try this but does anyone know what usually causes the tach spikes in the v2.2 board?

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJan-31-07 11:23 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#2982, "RE: Tach Spikes and Resets... Did you know..."
In response to Reply # 8

I think only one person noticed tach spikes in the v2.2 board and he claimed it was he internal ignitors. No one else has had that issue on the v2.2

Terry

WickedESiJan-31-07 02:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#2984, "RE: Tach Spikes and Resets... Did you know..."
In response to Reply # 9
Jan-31-07 02:33 PM by WickedESi

If you got noise on your v2.2 I'm willing to bet, it's your ground spot (take it directly to battery), lack of capacitor on your +12v to ign coil, and/or lack of car stereo filter on your +12v to your Megasquirt.

This stuff isn't needed if you're running 100% no problems.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #2952 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic