Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1896
View in threaded mode

Subject: "MS Issues" Previous topic | Next topic
KBallistiksMar-22-06 08:03 PM
Member since Sep 20th 2003
55 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1896, "MS Issues"
Mar-22-06 08:05 PM by KBallistiks

I'm having problems getting the car to start. I've had my ms for a while now, but just got the confidence to install it. I've been playing with megatune for quite awhile. I kept reading about how you can only learn so much and then you needed to experience it, lol. Well, I thought I was to that point, I mean I've had this for like 7-8 months.

~It's a Version 2.2 board. I'm running 450cc DSM injectors, Aeromotive fpr, Megatune 2.25, only running fuel.
~I have my req fuel at 7.4 top and bottom, inj characteristics all at default, inj controls: speed density, 2 injs per cycle, alternating, 4stroke, 4 cyl, port, 4 inj, 250 kpa, and even fire.
~Cranking pulse 2.0, pulse @-40 6.5, @170 1.7.

My problem seems to be with the tach signal. I have it wired to b32 for the crank sensor(I get a tach signal on the MS. Also all connections are soldered), but when it is wired it also kills my spark. If I take it off and hook up the factory ecu to my injectors, I get spark and the car runs. I know the tach signal has to be connected to b32 but I tried the tach signal wire anyway but MS doesn't read rpms and my factory tach dies.I thought it was grounding out so I wired a new wire all the back to the MS. No luck either way.

Looking for some help, fellas. If you need more info, just let me know. I promise you I searched a heck of a lot, I didn't want to get flamed, lol nor look like a fool, but I think it's time for others insight, positive or otherwise, Thanks Guys and sorry for the long post.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
TeamXtremeRSMar-23-06 02:54 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1897, "RE: MS Issues"
In response to Reply # 0

Did you put the MS together, or did you buy it pre-assembled? In order for the MS to read our crank sensor, there needs to be a few small hardware/wiring changes on the MS board. Is that done? Second, make sure your settings are correct, esp on the code options, and be sure the only item selected is the neon/420a code. Be sure under spark options, you have 69 degrees, and trigger return. DSM injectors are low impeadance, so you either need to use a resistor pack, or use the PWM features of the MS. Start at 75% PWM, 1.0 injector open time, both on the constants page. Hopefully this will get you started.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

KBallistiksMar-23-06 07:04 AM
55 posts,
#1899, "RE: MS Issues"
In response to Reply # 1
Mar-23-06 07:04 AM by KBallistiks

Originally posted by XtremeRS
Did you put the MS together, or did you buy it pre-assembled? In order for the MS to read our crank sensor, there needs to be a few small hardware/wiring changes on the MS board. Is that done? Second, make sure your settings are correct, esp on the code options, and be sure the only item selected is the neon/420a code. Be sure under spark options, you have 69 degrees, and trigger return. DSM injectors are low impeadance, so you either need to use a resistor pack, or use the PWM features of the MS. Start at 75% PWM, 1.0 injector open time, both on the constants page. Hopefully this will get you started.

I bought it pre-assembled.
As far as the hardware mods, I ass-u-me they were performed, but I will look for confirmation. I remember seeing that before, but never seemed to look into it, figures.
I haven't found code options anywhere, Is that in megatune or the configurator?
For the spark options, I'm not using it for spark yet, but does this still apply?
With the injectors, I'm not currently using a resistor pack, But my settings are @72%PWM and 1.0 inj open time.

KBallistiksMar-23-06 08:50 AM
55 posts,
#1901, "RE: MS Issues"
In response to Reply # 2
Mar-23-06 06:58 PM by KBallistiks

Are these the board mods you are referring to? I have seen these quite a few times but ignored them thinking the were for spark and fuel but I'm only wanting to run fuel.
V2.2 Board
. Remove D5, D8, R10
. Remove jumper between XG1-XG2
. Fit wire between XG1 and right of D5
. Fit wire between bottom of R10 and top of R11 (5v)
. Fit 1.3k resistor in place D8 <1.3k-2k ok>
Edit: I thought These Mods were for running spark and I thought (think)I didn't need them for fuel only.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-23-06 06:59 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#1906, "RE: MS Issues"
In response to Reply # 3

Yes those mods to the cicuit need to be performed in order for the Optoisolater to work with our sensor.

Terry

KBallistiksMar-23-06 10:01 PM
55 posts,
#1907, "RE: MS Issues"
In response to Reply # 4

Thank you both for your help, I definitely appreciate the courteous replies. It was hard enough to get myself to ask for help, I'd have really been in bad shape if I got flamed, lol. I must have seen those mods a thousand times, but I just thought they were for runnning spark. On a positive note, I'm defintely more comfortable and confident with MS now. Thanks again guys!

TeamXtremeRSMar-26-06 05:02 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1910, "RE: MS Issues"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by KBallistiks
Thank you both for your help, I definitely appreciate the courteous replies. It was hard enough to get myself to ask for help, I'd have really been in bad shape if I got flamed, lol. I must have seen those mods a thousand times, but I just thought they were for runnning spark. On a positive note, I'm defintely more comfortable and confident with MS now. Thanks again guys!

Well the board mods are for running spark, really. You can run fuel only with no board mods, BUT you have to use the white tach wire for input to the MS, instead of using the crank sensor wire. You need to use the crank sensor wire when running spark becuase the MS needs to know the position of the crank/pistons to fire a spark at the proper time. Fuel only isnt like that, it just needs rpm info off of the tach wire to fuel the engine, injector timing isnt important like spark timing.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1896 Previous topic | Next topic