Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4519
View in threaded mode

Subject: "need a form of spark control, please help!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
kevoxJun-03-09 01:51 AM
Member since Jul 21st 2007
145 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4519, "need a form of spark control, please help!!!"

So I have MSII installed and now I find out (I'm a newb so forgive me, and my mechanic has not used Megasquirt before either so he is learning what it can and cant do etc....), after 6 months of rebuilding things and moreso troublefriggin'shooting we now find out we can't boost the 420a without a form of aftermarket spark control to retard timing?! I thought MS could retard timing but now that I hear about the special spark control chip you have to assemble and install yourself I'm all just .....frustrated...
anyways, WHAT FORM OF SPARK CONTROL BESIDES DOING THE TECH-SAVVY MS MOD CAN WE DO TO THE 420A ENGINE????

Obviously there are lots of boosted 420a's on this forum - how are you guys retarding timing?! It's just so frustrating cause i've put $10,000 in parts alone into this car and it still refuses to run without dumping more money into unforeseen cirucmstances... (and yes, I realize I spent WAY too mcuh on it but thats besides the point...it was originally gonna be $4000 in parts and then boostin'....)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
JungyJun-03-09 12:27 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2005
164 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4522, "RE: need a form of spark control, please help!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

You need to do a lot more research into megasquirt before you just jump in head first. Read the stickys in this section on how to properly set up your MS for ignition control, its going to be cheaper and more beneficial in the long run. Read, Read, Read the megamanual will be your best friend when setting up your MS and learning how to run megatune. Neons.org has more information on running MS2 than we do over here on 2gnt. Before you go and mess up something and destroy your investment take the time and read the entire megamanual and understand it and how megasquirt functions. There is definately a steep learning curve with megasquirt if you are just jumping into EMS's.

96' eclipse gs, 2gb conversion
built bottom end, crane #16 cams, hx40 pro billet, MS1 v3 MSn'S-E, 3.55 trans, quaife lsd

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorCorbinJun-11-09 08:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#4523, "RE: need a form of spark control, please help!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

You don't need any sort of aftermarket device or special chip to have full spark control with a MSII. You just need to load the right software on it and build a simple circuit. However, MSII is really only for really dedicated enthusiasts. It is complex, lacking in proven 2GNT installations, and still full of bugs. You or your mechanic will spend hundreds of hours researching, modifying, troubleshooting, and tuning to get the full benefit. I think swapping in a MSI chip would be a better choice for you. It is simpler, with lots of proven 2GNT installations, and most of the bugs are worked out of the software. I started with MSI and later switched to MSII. I had alot fewer headaches before the switch.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

kevoxJun-15-09 02:19 AM
145 posts,
#4524, "RE: need a form of spark control, please help!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

alright I may end up going to MSI then, thanks for the info...

kevoxJun-17-09 02:20 AM
145 posts,
#4532, "RE: need a form of spark control, please help!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/MSD/Ignition/Ignition_Systems/6_Series/11515
Would one of those MSD units work with megasquirt? It would definitely be a lot easier (and therefore preferable!) to drop a couple hundred on one of those and go with it if it works for my application....

VelocitaPaolaJun-17-09 08:21 AM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
#4533, "RE: need a form of spark control, please help!!!"
In response to Reply # 4
Jun-17-09 08:21 AM by VelocitaPaola

I respectfully beg to differ regarding Corbin's assessment of MS-II. MS-II is becoming extremely stable, it's feature-rich and it's more user friendly than MS-I.

You could use an MSD or other CDI with Megasquirt, but why not just spend the $40 or so to have it properly configured for your application?

-----------------------------------------

-Paul

Service Manuals and Guides

djtrickeeJun-17-09 09:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#4534, "RE: need a form of spark control, please help!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by VelocitaPaola
but why not just spend the $40 or so to have it properly configured for your application?

I think the easy answer to that is that he has no idea what he is doing and MegaSquirt seems to be beyond his current capability. If he is paying a mechanic/tuner to set it up and tune it then he is going to have some major trouble down the road if something ever happens!

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

VelocitaPaolaJun-17-09 10:14 AM
626 posts,
#4535, "RE: need a form of spark control, please help!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

That may be true, but I was specifically referring to the hardware aspect of Megasquirt. Knowledge of tuning and knowledge of electronics are mutually exclusive. If he doesn't know anything about electronics, it would be worth his time and money to have it professionally configured so he can focus solely on tuning.

-Paul

kevoxJun-17-09 12:32 PM
145 posts,
#4537, "RE: need a form of spark control, please help!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by VelocitaPaola
I respectfully beg to differ regarding Corbin's assessment of MS-II. MS-II is becoming extremely stable, it's feature-rich and it's more user friendly than MS-I. You could use an MSD or other CDI with Megasquirt, but why not just spend the $40 or so to have it properly configured for your application?

Do you offer a spark control add-on service for $40?!

VelocitaPaolaJun-17-09 02:26 PM
626 posts,
#4538, "RE: need a form of spark control, please help!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

Please PM me and I'll send you the appropriate link.

-Paul

hazard_eclipseJun-24-09 09:13 AM
Member since Jun 20th 2009
95 posts,
#4556, "RE: need a form of spark control, please help!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

MSD Boost Timing Master Ignition part# 5462. check into it. might be another option.

wiki homepage: http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Hazard_Eclipse

19:22:36 ‹hazard_eclipse› btw disclaimer: I am NOT hazardeclipse
19:23:10 ‹ez› 19:14:00 ‹hazard_eclipse› i honestly hate yellow.
19:23:25 ‹hazard_eclipse› lol good you saw that
19:23:55 ‹ez› you should put that in your sig

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #4519 Previous topic | Next topic