Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1019
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Corbin's 8 inj setup = Portfueler???" Previous topic | Next topic
eclipsesh21Jun-30-05 12:12 PM
Member since Jun 21st 2005
14 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1019, "Corbin's 8 inj setup = Portfueler???"

Can someone please explain the difference between Corbin's 8 Injector setup and Hahn's Portfueler kit? Right now I'm trying to gather the parts necessary to boost a built motor correctly, and I'm going to use one of these methods for my fuel system...

oh and if these are the same, i am an idiot.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
96rs-tJun-30-05 12:53 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2203 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1020, "RE: Corbin's 8 inj setup = Portfueler???"
In response to Reply # 0

the difference is "hahn has done all the work for you"

SoCal DSM
1996 RS-T: Under Construction
1999 GS AE: New daily driver
"USING NO WAY AS A WAY, HAVING NO LIMITATION AS A LIMITATION"--BRUCE LEE

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

grainJun-30-05 03:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#1021, "RE: Corbin's 8 inj setup = Portfueler???"
In response to Reply # 1

difference is giving hahn alot of money.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJun-30-05 03:40 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#1022, "RE: Corbin's 8 inj setup = Portfueler???"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by 96rs-t
the difference is "hahn has done all the work for you"

You mean "Hahn Copied all the work for you"

eclipsesh21Jun-30-05 05:56 PM
Member since Jun 21st 2005
14 posts,
#1023, "RE: Corbin's 8 inj setup = Portfueler???"
In response to Reply # 3

Okay so it is the same thing, just more expensive...good to know

BlackMagicJun-30-05 07:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1243 posts,
#1024, "RE: Corbin's 8 inj setup = Portfueler???"
In response to Reply # 4

yea basically same thing, portfueler is just a lot easier, minimal wiring and such, and just slight modification to the valve cover

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1133
*form follows function*

KTECLIPSEJul-01-05 04:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
537 posts,
#1025, "RE: Corbin's 8 inj setup = Portfueler???"
In response to Reply # 5
Jul-01-05 04:54 AM by KTECLIPSE

I disagree. There are couple of difference between Hahn's Portfueler setup and Corbin's setup to consider. It all depends on how much time you would like to spend on the project and how good your fabrication skills are (having the right equipment, etc).

Hahn's Portfueler Kit comes with a pre-made spacer than allows you to easily mount the extra injectors and also provides the mount for the secondary fuel rail. However, this spacer is about a half inch thick which entails some extra work for those running their EGR system. For example, the EGR pipe must be extended by a half inch which requires some planning ahead (purchasing of a extra pipe or a Spare EGR that you can cut and weld in a section). Hahn's kit is also available with a preprogrammed fuel map to get you started.

Corbin's idea requires you to drill into your existing manifold and weld in injector mounts. It also requires that you do some extra fabrication for mounting a secondary fuel rail. You may be able to get a pre-programmed fuel map for the 034 extra injector controller from a board member but if not you will have to spend some time tuning.

Personally, I feel more comfortable using the Hahn setup since I do not have the right equipment to fabricate Corbin's setup safely. When it comes to fuel delivery, I like having a product that I don't have to worry about welds (or JB weld) failing and starting a fire.

--Kurt

ModeratorCorbinJul-01-05 07:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#1026, "RE: Corbin's 8 inj setup = Portfueler???"
In response to Reply # 6

Yep...the concept is the same, but the implementation is a little different. The Hahn kit is pretty bolt-on. The custom 8-injector setup takes a fair amount of effort to build. You do get something for the extra money you send Hahn. Like the difference between buying a pre-built engine and building an engine yourself from individually sourced parts. Each person may see a different solution as "best". The custom 8-injector setup was put together back in 2001, when there weren't a lot of options (no Portfuelers or MegaSquirts). Now days, I would put my money towards a MegaSquirt before buying a Portfueler. But, again, there is a trade-off as the MS is not "plug-and-play".

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
Now with more power and fewer leaks

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

Keith2172Jul-01-05 11:59 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#1027, "RE: Corbin's 8 inj setup = Portfueler???"
In response to Reply # 7

Plug and play sucks my fat, hairy, Armenian, butt! Take a risk and build it yourself, you'll learn a hell of a lot, you'll feel better about yourself when you're done, and neither one of those things can ever be taken away from you! Learning to fabricate your own parts and build a unique car is what makes this hobby/sport/lifestyle as exciting as it is. Invention and fabrication is what seperates a true enthusiast from an idiot trying to look good. whats cooler, a $40,000 car that runs 12's or a $15,000 that keeps up with it? I think Im ranting cause it's Friday, sorry.

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

ChamukoJul-10-05 05:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#1059, "RE: Corbin's 8 inj setup = Portfueler???"
In response to Reply # 8

sure...jb weld isnt the best. but having it welded by a certified welder is still not that bad. Even if you had someone u know make it for you it would still be cheap and U can help out n learn something.

Thruth is not even Hahns maps are dead on, hence why u can program his too. You have to learn...why not learn from the ground up?

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1019 Previous topic | Next topic