Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1184
View in threaded mode

Subject: "loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark" Previous topic | Next topic
rs-pssstAug-20-05 10:02 AM
Member since Nov 13th 2004
158 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1184, "loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark"

I am running spark, using the timing map similar to ner's and under high loads on the engine and over 10psi, I get a backfire type studdering at about 5k and up -could this be the timing map or is it more likely plugs/wires or coil pack. I am running stock wires and coil pack and have my plugs gapped to .025. I have my afr right at 11.5

What sounds should i be listening for beside detonation when i am tuning the map and what adjustments need to made when those souds are present.

I am trying to eliminate whether it is software or hardware.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
TeamXtremeRSAug-21-05 05:45 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1185, "RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by rs-pssst
I am running spark, using the timing map similar to ner's and under high loads on the engine and over 10psi, I get a backfire type studdering at about 5k and up -could this be the timing map or is it more likely plugs/wires or coil pack. I am running stock wires and coil pack and have my plugs gapped to .025. I have my afr right at 11.5 What sounds should i be listening for beside detonation when i am tuning the map and what adjustments need to made when those souds are present. I am trying to eliminate whether it is software or hardware.

That's the exact same issue i had over 10 psi boost. Its a spark intensity issue, related to dwell time. Wasted spark dwell in the code was not right for almost all code versions, which means the coilpack is not getting charged fully. James had released code version 025i6, which he and others say has much better dwell. Try that code out and see what happens..I went the easy way out, but unfortunately was an expensive solution, by hooking up a Crane ignition box. I use the mitsu ignitor to fire the crane box, and it works beautifully. Ignition boxes dont rely on dwell, because of the box's ability to fully charge the coilpack almost instantly.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

rs-pssstAug-21-05 06:11 AM
158 posts,
#1186, "RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark"
In response to Reply # 1

I also can't run the dwell control for some reason... I have to run minimal for hei.

If i try dwel control 7.0/3.7/0.5 I can't even get down road because it is studdering so much. Whats up wit that?

TeamXtremeRSAug-21-05 08:36 AM
6329 posts,
#1187, "RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by rs-pssst
I also can't run the dwell control for some reason... I have to run minimal for hei. If i try dwel control 7.0/3.7/0.5 I can't even get down road because it is studdering so much. Whats up wit that?

Try a running dwell of around 4.3 ms. You sure its not lean misfiring? That can cause bucking esp at high vac low load. My car will even do that at an A/F of 15.2:1 or higher..these engines like fuel..

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Teamner947Aug-21-05 09:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1188, "RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark"
In response to Reply # 2

Don't use the "Minimal..." setting, it will yield charge times which are too long at lower RPM's which heats really heats up the module and too short at high RPM's which will result in a misfire. My current dwell settings are 25/5.5/0.1, the cranking dwell is very high because I measured the stock cranking dwell and that was around 36ms! A shitload of dwell indeed, so I tried to match it in megatune but it won't let me go above 25ms. Although if your current cranking dwell numbers work just fine, stick with those.

Dwell control works a lot better with the new code releases. Anything after 025i6 is game.

I've been messing with my spark table a bit recently, I have replaced the original file with this new one so all of my old posts with my spark table should automatically update themselves, but I'll post it here too.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

rs-pssstAug-22-05 02:39 AM
158 posts,
#1189, "RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark"
In response to Reply # 4
Aug-22-05 02:40 AM by rs-pssst

if it is a lean misfire, then why would my fuel map be perfect for stock ignition and minimal for hei, but not dwel control?

I guess I'll try try the different firmware today

rs-pssstAug-23-05 01:38 PM
158 posts,
#1194, "RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark"
In response to Reply # 5

Fixed the problem -it was a setting in the codebase section. I had some spark outputs on the wrong setting -haha. I fucking love this -I pulled a hard pull to 16psi and lit up second with no backfiring.

Fucking awesome -now to finally use megasquirt for what its all about.

Teamner947Aug-24-05 02:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1195, "RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark"
In response to Reply # 6

Nice work. Those outputs caught me the first time too, I was so confused as to why it wasn't working.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

TeamXtremeRSAug-24-05 01:46 PM
6329 posts,
#1196, "RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark"
In response to Reply # 7

What code version did you end up using?

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

rs-pssstAug-26-05 07:47 AM
158 posts,
#1202, "RE: loud backfire/studdering under high loads w/MS spark"
In response to Reply # 8

the s19 and so far tested up to 19psi with no backfires or spark problems. ngk 7e's gapped to 0.035, w/stock wires and a s16g

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1184 Previous topic | Next topic