Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #2674
View in threaded mode

Subject: "V3.0 Tach noise" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-20-06 07:37 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2674, "V3.0 Tach noise"
Oct-20-06 07:38 AM by Star Turbo Talon

HAs anyoen with the tach noise altered or installed the ED capacitor? The V2.2 has this installed as built but the v3.0 leaves the cap out unless you have noise issues. Now if you have noise with the cap installed you can slowly raise the value by .001uf but do not go larger than .1uf.

I was doing to some verifying in the v2.2 instructions since i am building a MS for a different type of car and Noticed the comments regarding the operation of the Ed capacitor. So this made me wonder why its not installed in the v3.0 (c12). The v3.0 assembly does make note of the noise that can be found in the tach signal and that you can install the cap and alter its size just liek the v2.2 assembly instruction.

This may be the whole key to why the v2.2 doesnt have a problem and the v3.0 had tach noise.

has anyone done this?

Does anyone have a v3.0 installed with this issue that can install the cap or send me the ECU to install it so you can try it?

Terry

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
ChamukoOct-20-06 07:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2675, "RE: V3.0 Tach noise"
In response to Reply # 0

good find, Ill take a looky.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teamdougie2Oct-23-06 06:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#2677, "RE: V3.0 Tach noise"
In response to Reply # 0
Oct-23-06 06:02 AM by dougie2

Terry... does this mean that you've been able to verify the tach noise problem that I was having with Casey's V3 board? If so, that's good. I gave up on the V3 board after that fiasco.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

XMasta19Oct-23-06 06:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#2678, "RE: V3.0 Tach noise"
In response to Reply # 2

If my car didn't hate me so much, I might be able to help you out some with this one since I am indeed using one of your V3 boards. Either way, great find...

-Xavier-
95 Eclipse RS-T...lost in the frozen tundra

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-23-06 06:58 AM
8331 posts,
#2679, "RE: V3.0 Tach noise"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by dougie2
Terry... does this mean that you've been able to verify the tach noise problem that I was having with Casey's V3 board? If so, that's good. I gave up on the V3 board after that fiasco.

Doug I am not positive but this is the difference in the input section of the board.

Perhaps Doug, if you will have time this month I can order/build a V3.0 board and you can test it. Since we know your car with the 2.2 doesnt have any issues and with the v3.0 installed it does. That would leave the only variable being tested to be the MS.

Terry

Teamdougie2Oct-23-06 10:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#2683, "RE: V3.0 Tach noise"
In response to Reply # 4
Oct-23-06 10:10 AM by dougie2

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Perhaps Doug, if you will have time this month I can order/build a V3.0 board and you can test it. Since we know your car with the 2.2 doesnt have any issues and with the v3.0 installed it does. That would leave the only variable being tested to be the MS. Terry

Terry,

I can test a v3.0 if you'd like, no problem. My car is running again and I can also test on Casey's car. Just hit me up if you want to do that.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-23-06 02:50 PM
8331 posts,
#2686, "RE: V3.0 Tach noise"
In response to Reply # 5

Let me order up a kit and get it built. Looking into testing it in a couple weeks.

Terry

gilee_8Oct-30-06 08:06 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2002
1441 posts,
#2716, "RE: V3.0 Tach noise"
In response to Reply # 6

The Cap doesn't do much. it just smooth out the waves a bit when the RPM signal comes in. I tried different size of Cap, and the Tack is still there (before I fix it)
If you do a search, me and 2 others was struggling with the tack spike a month or two back.
We got a solution already by doing VR and Hall circuit.
Hope that helps.
Gil

~~~~~~~~Modification~~~~~~~~
Performance: MegaSquirt v3.0 Fuel & Spark, 8.6:1 JE piston, Eagle Long Rods, SPEC III Clutch, EVOIII B16G, FMIC, Aeromotive 1:1 FPR, Walbro 255HP, 680cc Injectors, 2.5" DP, 3" Magnaflow Cat, 3.5" Greddy EVO CatBack, Greddy Electronic EGT,FUEL,BOOST,A/F gauges...
Interior: Racing Seats, Metallic Interior, 15-Speakers System, Keyless, Dynomat Insulated, Neons...
Exterior: 1999 Body with turbo wing, Halo Projector Headlight, 4300K HID, 17" Mille Rims, GSX Calipers...
Coming Soon: Water Injection, Redo Undercarriage, Repaint Exterior

$240 For New Complete GSX Calipers Kit (Calipers, Bracket, Shim, Pad, Bolts, etc) Email Me If Interested!

1995 RED Eclipse GS-'T': Stage VI 20PSI
2010 Audi S5 Quattro

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-31-06 05:30 AM
8331 posts,
#2718, "RE: V3.0 Tach noise"
In response to Reply # 7

The VR doesnt work for everyone. What size Cap did you go with?

gilee_8Nov-01-06 12:44 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2002
1441 posts,
#2723, "RE: V3.0 Tach noise"
In response to Reply # 8

I tried from 0.001uF up to 0.1uF doesn 't do a single bit

~~~~~~~~Modification~~~~~~~~
Performance: MegaSquirt v3.0 Fuel & Spark, 8.6:1 JE piston, Eagle Long Rods, SPEC III Clutch, EVOIII B16G, FMIC, Aeromotive 1:1 FPR, Walbro 255HP, 680cc Injectors, 2.5" DP, 3" Magnaflow Cat, 3.5" Greddy EVO CatBack, Greddy Electronic EGT,FUEL,BOOST,A/F gauges...
Interior: Racing Seats, Metallic Interior, 15-Speakers System, Keyless, Dynomat Insulated, Neons...
Exterior: 1999 Body with turbo wing, Halo Projector Headlight, 4300K HID, 17" Mille Rims, GSX Calipers...
Coming Soon: Water Injection, Redo Undercarriage, Repaint Exterior

$240 For New Complete GSX Calipers Kit (Calipers, Bracket, Shim, Pad, Bolts, etc) Email Me If Interested!

1995 RED Eclipse GS-'T': Stage VI 20PSI
2010 Audi S5 Quattro

Teamner947Nov-06-06 06:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#2738, "RE: V3.0 Tach noise"
In response to Reply # 9

I also tried playing with capacitors on that circuit a while back with little success. I still think the best way to solve it should be with better software... something that would be more flexible when looking at the signal coming in. Some type of algorithm that knows what the wave should look like and have a good guess where the next edge should be coming in at, based off how fast RPM's could possibly change between cycles. I bet you could easily "throw out" a good chunk of spikes that way.

Has anyone ported the -extra code to C yet?

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #2674 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic